Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Potato Pancakes

Okay, it's Chanukah. Two traditional foods are potato pancakes and jelly
donuts. Lets not go near the donuts, but here's a though on the latkes
(potato pancakes):

I use the shredder blade in my Cuisinart to first shred the potato. I
put the shreds into a bowl of ice water until I'm done with all the
shredding. After squeezing out all of the water, I pulse it with the
knife blade a few times with a hunk of onion.

When I'm all done there several tablespoons of potato starch on the
bottom of the bowl that held the shreds and water. What I'm wondering is
how much of the starch am I removing? Is is significant? How could one
measure?

DH is on strict portion control when it comes to latkes and he's really
good about it so he never has a spiking problem, but I'm wondering if he
might count less carbs for his bolus with all that starch coming out.

Any ideas?

Happy Chanukah!
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:55:28 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Okay, it's Chanukah. Two traditional foods are potato pancakes and jelly
>donuts. Lets not go near the donuts, but here's a though on the latkes
>(potato pancakes):

Hubby's family (Lithuanian) either do potato pancakes (kuguli, sp), or
a baked grated potato/onion mix (blinl). [Very confusing names, my
Russian tradition says Blini are pancakes. mutter...]

I do the baked dish occasionally and sub grated cauli for some of the
potato. It's successful up to about half-and-half; you still need some
straight starch to bind it together. I still can't eat very much...

Might be worth trying similar with the pancakes - particularly if you
try a little egg to bind?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >Okay, it's Chanukah. Two traditional foods are potato pancakes and jelly
: >donuts. Lets not go near the donuts, but here's a though on the latkes
: >(potato pancakes):

: Hubby's family (Lithuanian) either do potato pancakes (kuguli, sp), or
: a baked grated potato/onion mix (blinl). [Very confusing names, my
: Russian tradition says Blini are pancakes. mutter...]

: I do the baked dish occasionally and sub grated cauli for some of the
: potato. It's successful up to about half-and-half; you still need some
: straight starch to bind it together. I still can't eat very much...

: Might be worth trying similar with the pancakes - particularly if you
: try a little egg to bind?

: Nicky.

That baked dish sound like what we call a potato kugel. I like the idea
of the cauli mix.

For potato pancakes, I use a mix of potato shreds and zuchinni shreds.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:

> When I'm all done there several tablespoons of potato starch on the
> bottom of the bowl that held the shreds and water. What I'm wondering is
> how much of the starch am I removing? Is is significant? How could one
> measure?

I doubt it's significant. Potatoes are nearly all starch and most of
the potatoes still remain. If it were me, I'd not change the bolus for it.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jackie Patti wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> When I'm all done there several tablespoons of potato starch on the
>> bottom of the bowl that held the shreds and water. What I'm wondering
>> is how much of the starch am I removing? Is is significant? How could
>> one measure?

> I doubt it's significant. Potatoes are nearly all starch and most of
> the potatoes still remain. If it were me, I'd not change the bolus for it.

Thanks. I didn't. I gave him a carb count based on the amount of raw
potato. It was more than he usually eats, but his numbers are good and
he can cover with the bolus. He didn't spike, so I guess we did well.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Potato Pancakes jmcquown General Cooking 29 14-10-2007 05:51 AM
Potato pancakes Ken Knecht General Cooking 18 11-08-2006 02:49 AM
Potato Pancakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-10-2005 01:19 PM
Low Fat Potato Pancakes Barry Kimelman Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 03:01 AM
Potato Pancakes Lorraine Vegan 3 06-03-2004 06:34 AM