t.racer

Default making soymilk by hand

Today I tried making soymilk for the first time and it turned out
green! I followed the recipe from the Soy, Not Oi cook zine. What went
wrong? Is it because I used frozen soybeans or it is just that some
pulp spilt into the milk? Is it because I used guaze instead of
cheesebloth? The recipe says "you can use cheesecloth or anything with
small holes."
The book says you can eat the pulp too.

http://www.inetworld.net/thrill/
usual suspect

t.racer wrote:
> Today I tried making soymilk for the first time and it turned out
> green! I followed the recipe from the Soy, Not Oi cook zine. What went
> wrong? Is it because I used frozen soybeans or it is just that some
> pulp spilt into the milk?

Yes. Try it with soaked dried soybeans.

> Is it because I used guaze instead of
> cheesebloth? The recipe says "you can use cheesecloth or anything with
> small holes."

No, it's because you used edamame instead of dried beans.

> The book says you can eat the pulp too.

It's okay if you season it well and form it into burger patties. You can
also find other recipes online by searching for OKARA (not okra) recipes.

t.racer

I wish the recipe would've specified which type of soybeans to use.
First I looked for fresh soybeans at Henry's and when I didn't see
those I got the frozen ones. I didn't even realize they were sold like
pinto beans and such.

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:30:31 GMT, usual suspect >
wrote:

>t.racer wrote:
>> Today I tried making soymilk for the first time and it turned out
>> green! I followed the recipe from the Soy, Not Oi cook zine. What went
>> wrong? Is it because I used frozen soybeans or it is just that some
>> pulp spilt into the milk?

>Yes. Try it with soaked dried soybeans.
>
>> Is it because I used guaze instead of
>> cheesebloth? The recipe says "you can use cheesecloth or anything with
>> small holes."

>No, it's because you used edamame instead of dried beans.
>
>> The book says you can eat the pulp too.

>It's okay if you season it well and form it into burger patties. You can
>also find other recipes online by searching for OKARA (not okra) recipes.

http://www.inetworld.net/thrill/

Hand blender vs. hand mixer abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.sing Baking 2 08-12-2005 02:57 PM
Soymilk Nancy Young General Cooking 11 27-02-2005 05:52 PM
Soymilk maker zxcvbob General Cooking 9 07-12-2004 11:16 AM
Is my soymilk going bad? I don't know how to tell. Mike Vegan 6 05-01-2004 04:53 AM
soymilk makers zxcvbob Preserving 4 21-12-2003 04:15 AM