Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default The Least Harm Principle

On 30 Dec 2003 18:12:24 -0800, (Purple) wrote:

>In my consumer habits I currently follow simple principles like
>not buying produce from intensive animal farming, or companies
>that continue to support animal testing, prefering local/organic,
>etc. I would like to develop a more sophisticated approach
>towards applying the "least harm principle" and would be grateful
>for any information and/or pointers towards fruitful areas of
>research. Factors I would like to consider a
>
>The amount of death and suffering caused - I am primarily concerned
>about birds and mammals but don't entirely reject the needs of fish,
>reptiles or even insects.
>
>The ecological opportunity cost - By this I mean the benefits the land
>may have if it wasn't used for farming. For example the Amazon, where
>many Soy beans are grown, supports an enormous density of life.
>
>Predator prey relationships - The food chain is a good way of preventing
>animal populations getting out of control and suffering mass starvations.
>I see no reason why humans shouldn't be part of this.
>
>Vegetables grown to feed livestock - What diets do various livestock
>have, how much must be grown to feed them, etc.
>
>Other considerations - I'm interested in utilitarian considerations,
>not abstract philosophical arguments like "farming is slavery".

One of the basic facts that veg*ns don't want people to consider,
is the fact that some types of animal products involve fewer animal
deaths than some types of veggies. People can get over 500 servings
of beef from the life of a grass raised steer--a few servings of tofu are
likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings of grass
raised beef. People can get over 1000 servings of dairy products from
the life of a grass raised dairy cow--a few servings of rice milk are likely
to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings of grass raised
cow milk.
People who want to contribute to better lives for farm animals with their
diet, can't do it by being veg*n. They would have to be more conscientious
consumers of animal products, like you. It's interesting/sad/funny/disgusting
that "ethical" veg*ns don't point such facts out to people who are considering
becoming veg*n for ethical reasons, and it's even worse that they often
oppose seeing other people point out such facts.