MEow

Default Papaya question

I found papaya on sale, cheap, at the supermarket, and I bought one.
However I've never had papaya before, at least not AFAIK, and I have
no idea as to how to handle a fresh papaya. I've seen them on sale
before, but refrained from buying them due to not knowing how to
handle them.

Can anyone help me with this?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message >...

> My wife and daughter really love them-I don't like them-eat them when soft
> kind of like an avacado- a soft one-papya itself is a unique taste and a bit
> like undercooked sqush in consistancy-My wife cannot get enough she loves
> them--make sure they are soft-like a soft avacado
> hope this helps.

Thanks. For some strange reason I seem to have acidentally killfiled
you. Now I've unkillfiled you again.
So, I wait for it to go soft, cut it in halves, and eat the fruit
flesh with a spoon, then?
Michael Balarama

> wrote in message
m...
> "Michael Balarama" > wrote in message

> > My wife and daughter really love them-I don't like them-eat them when

soft
> > kind of like an avacado- a soft one-papya itself is a unique taste and a

bit
> > like undercooked sqush in consistancy-My wife cannot get enough she

loves
> > them--make sure they are soft-like a soft avacado
> > hope this helps.

> Thanks. For some strange reason I seem to have acidentally killfiled
> you. Now I've unkillfiled you again.
> So, I wait for it to go soft, cut it in halves, and eat the fruit
> flesh with a spoon, then?

Make sure you take the " fruit meat" out of the skin-don't eat the skin-my
wife is addicted-she loves papayas..
Michael
I deserve to be killfiled-innocent but deserving...ha ha

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Michael Balarama of Posted
via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com said:

>Make sure you take the " fruit meat" out of the skin-don't eat the skin-my
>wife is addicted-she loves papayas..

That's what spoons are for.

>Michael
>I deserve to be killfiled-innocent but deserving...ha ha

Well, I've successfully unkillfile you now :0)
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Woah- leave me out of this! I am a Brussels sprouts agnostic- i.e., not
entirely sure they actually exist. Never seen one cooked IRL."
Catherine Caruso (AFV)
epiphany

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:19:25 +0100, MEow >
wrote:

>While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Michael Balarama of Posted
>via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com said:
>
>>Make sure you take the " fruit meat" out of the skin-don't eat the skin-my
>>wife is addicted-she loves papayas..

You can also cut them into chunks and put in a fruit salad with mango,
cantaloupe, bananas, pineapple chunks. If you're not used to the
taste, you might enjoy them better this way, rather than trying to
eat just papaya all by itself.

I've found that there is a sort of white milky substance that oozes
out when you cut into them, and the riper they are, the less this is
present, and the better they taste. If you're not sure if they are
ripe enough, perhaps it would work if you puncture the skin with your
fingernail and see if it oozes.

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, epiphany of SoVerNet
(sover.net) said:

>You can also cut them into chunks and put in a fruit salad with mango,
>cantaloupe, bananas, pineapple chunks. If you're not used to the
>taste, you might enjoy them better this way, rather than trying to
>eat just papaya all by itself.

Maybe I can use it in "Monkey food": when I was a child we'd
occasionally get "Monkey food" for dessert, or as a snack. IIRC, it
was made with pieces of different fruits, such as apples, bananas,
oranges, and what else was available, with some (approximately 100 g,
or so) finely chopped chocolate, all turned in some yoghurt naturel. I
just thought of it the other day, and thought it would be fun to have
it again some day.

>I've found that there is a sort of white milky substance that oozes
>out when you cut into them, and the riper they are, the less this is
>present, and the better they taste. If you're not sure if they are
>ripe enough, perhaps it would work if you puncture the skin with your
>fingernail and see if it oozes.

I just took it out of the refrigerator because it's quite hard.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Woah- leave me out of this! I am a Brussels sprouts agnostic- i.e., not
entirely sure they actually exist. Never seen one cooked IRL."
Catherine Caruso (AFV)
Jay

"MEow" > wrote in message
> I found papaya on sale, cheap, at the supermarket, and I bought one.
> However I've never had papaya before, at least not AFAIK, and I have
> no idea as to how to handle a fresh papaya. I've seen them on sale
> before, but refrained from buying them due to not knowing how to
> handle them.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?

Michael's provided some good guidelines for eating the flesh - but don't
forget the seeds! As far as I'm concerned, they're the best part. They taste
peppery, a lot like Nasturtium flowers, if you've ever tried them. They are
excellent on ice cream (or a vegan frozen dessert) and also tossed in
salads, pasta, anything your heart desires.

I really do love papaya seeds.

-Jay

"Coney, chai waker-up" - my cousin's version of REM's Sidewinder Sleeps
Tonight (for the caffeine influenced)

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Jay of Shaw Residential
Internet said:

>Michael's provided some good guidelines for eating the flesh - but don't
>forget the seeds! As far as I'm concerned, they're the best part. They taste
>peppery, a lot like Nasturtium flowers, if you've ever tried them. They are
>excellent on ice cream (or a vegan frozen dessert) and also tossed in
>salads, pasta, anything your heart desires.
>
>I really do love papaya seeds.

Thanks. I'll make sure to not throw the seeds, so I can give them a
try too.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"and I'm sure you doubt that skeptics exist as well???" drala (a.a.)

Papaya - not ripe enough, but I tried to cut it up-- HELP Kalmia General Cooking 3 02-10-2012 09:16 PM
papaya Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 26 05-05-2012 04:25 AM
papaya for tenderizing David Barbecue 4 10-08-2005 08:42 PM
PAPAYA? Nobody but us chickens Preserving 0 17-06-2005 05:58 PM