Ray

Default 'Quorn Products'

I know this is not exactly the right NG for this question as I am vegetarian
not Vegan.

'Quorn' use eggs in some of their products, I am trying to find out if these
are free range or battery?
I have e-mailed them but they have not responded.

Can anyone help please.

Rubystars

"Ray" > wrote in message
> I know this is not exactly the right NG for this question as I am

vegetarian
> not Vegan.
>
> 'Quorn' use eggs in some of their products, I am trying to find out if

these
> are free range or battery?
> I have e-mailed them but they have not responded.
>
> Can anyone help please.

When it's not advertised as using free range eggs you can generally assume
that they're not.

-Rubystars

usual suspect

Ray wrote:
> I know this is not exactly the right NG for this question as I am vegetarian
> not Vegan.
>
> 'Quorn' use eggs in some of their products, I am trying to find out if these
> are free range or battery?
> I have e-mailed them but they have not responded.
>
> Can anyone help please.

What's wrong, Ray, got a craving for something that tastes like animal
flesh?

Rubystars is right. If it's not noted on the label, assume it's just
plain old egg.

Ray

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
m...

> "Ray" > wrote in message
> > I know this is not exactly the right NG for this question as I am

> vegetarian
> > not Vegan.
> >
> > 'Quorn' use eggs in some of their products, I am trying to find out if

> these
> > are free range or battery?
> > I have e-mailed them but they have not responded.
> >
> > Can anyone help please.

> When it's not advertised as using free range eggs you can generally assume
> that they're not.

I fear 'as usual' you are correct Rubystars

Thanks.
Ray

Phil Hughes

In article >, Ray
> writes
>I know this is not exactly the right NG for this question as I am vegetarian
>not Vegan.
>
>'Quorn' use eggs in some of their products, I am trying to find out if these
>are free range or battery?
>I have e-mailed them but they have not responded.
>
>Can anyone help please.

I think some products are free range, some battery. If they are battery
they won't get Vegetarian Society approval. See http://www.vegsoc.org
for a searchable database.
--
Phil Hughes

Ray

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ray wrote:
> > I know this is not exactly the right NG for this question as I am

vegetarian
> > not Vegan.
> >
> > 'Quorn' use eggs in some of their products, I am trying to find out if

these
> > are free range or battery?
> > I have e-mailed them but they have not responded.
> >
> > Can anyone help please.

> What's wrong, Ray, got a craving for something that tastes like animal
> flesh?
>
> Rubystars is right. If it's not noted on the label, assume it's just
> plain old egg.

Well, not really but I do enjoy the 'Quorn' range of products. But should
Rubystars and you be correct - it is well and truly off my list.

They make it so easy for any budding vegetarians, unlike the day when I
turned vegi, some thirty years ago.

I suppose I should take the final step and become a vegan, now can someone
tell me an easy way?

Rubystars

"Ray" > wrote in message

> "usual suspect" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Ray wrote:
> > > I know this is not exactly the right NG for this question as I am

> vegetarian
> > > not Vegan.
> > >
> > > 'Quorn' use eggs in some of their products, I am trying to find out if

> these
> > > are free range or battery?
> > > I have e-mailed them but they have not responded.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help please.

> > What's wrong, Ray, got a craving for something that tastes like animal
> > flesh?
> >
> > Rubystars is right. If it's not noted on the label, assume it's just
> > plain old egg.

> Well, not really but I do enjoy the 'Quorn' range of products. But should
> Rubystars and you be correct - it is well and truly off my list.
>
> They make it so easy for any budding vegetarians, unlike the day when I
> turned vegi, some thirty years ago.
>
> I suppose I should take the final step and become a vegan, now can someone
> tell me an easy way?

The easy way: Buy french fries, potato chips, fruit, salad mixes, and rice
and beans and forget all that other nutrition stuff.

The right way: Um, quite a bit harder. I'm not sure. :S

The reason I'm pretty sure that all egg products not labeled free range are
likely to be battery eggs is that if they were free range, then it could be
used as another selling point for the product. They would print it big and
bold in red text.

-Rubystars

Plug

"Ray" > wrote in message
> 'Quorn' use eggs in some of their products, I am trying to find out if

these
> are free range or battery?
> I have e-mailed them but they have not responded.
>
> Can anyone help please.

Hi Ray,
I may not be able to help but I can answer your question. SOME Quorn
products contain free range egg and are approved by the Vegetarian society.
But SOME are not. This confuses consumers as supermarkets place the
products all together as if they were all suitable for vegetarians. Of
course, most vegetarians would not eat products that contain battery eggs,
but legally, a supermarket can declare these products vegetarian. I have
taken this issue up with Trading Standards but they frankly are not
interested. I have been writing to the makers of Quorn since the 80s - when
they were Marlow Foods. they are now part of a huge organisation and the
likes of you and I are small fry indeed.
If you go on to the RSPCA site, you will see an interesting new survey that
shows that 80% of own brand veggie products contain bettery eggs. It's
enough to make you turn vegan.
Deb >

looking for supplier - water purification products: General Ecology Seagull IV model x1f and x1d, rs1sg cartridge, rs2sg cartridge, and other products Edward Bertsch Marketplace 1 04-09-2005 12:34 AM
Two new products, what to do? JeanineAlyse General Cooking 15 12-07-2005 01:29 PM
CSPI and Quorn magnulus Vegan 82 03-09-2004 10:47 AM
Quorn? byakee General Cooking 1 12-06-2004 03:51 PM
Quorn - "an odious mold" Jonathan Ball Vegan 24 14-03-2004 09:39 PM