JeanineAlyse

Default Two new products, what to do?

Well, this new-to-me product saga began (here) with the Toasted Sesame
Oil that y'all taught me was primarily just for flavoring. Okay, I can
certainly respect that concept, but knowing not why I even bought the
little bottle, how 'bout some use suggestions? (Cooking ones, Sheldon,
me bud.) All I can find through googling through several pages is how
to make my own, not how/where to use the already made product.

Next, I have no idea how to use the latest new-to-me that sounded very
tempting when I saw it in my cooks.com catalog tht I just had to have
it. It's Chinois, Shanghai Peanut Sauce. Again, as far as I can see
google only gives me the how-to-make-its.

Ideas and product after-opened storage instructions, anyone?

....Picky ~JA~

jmcquown

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> Well, this new-to-me product saga began (here) with the Toasted Sesame
> Oil that y'all taught me was primarily just for flavoring. Okay, I
> can certainly respect that concept, but knowing not why I even bought
> the little bottle, how 'bout some use suggestions?

Use a dash or two of it on stir-fried vegetables.

> Next, I have no idea how to use the latest new-to-me that sounded very
> tempting when I saw it in my cooks.com catalog tht I just had to have
> it. It's Chinois, Shanghai Peanut Sauce.

As a condiment on Asian satay (chicken, pork or beef).

> Ideas and product after-opened storage instructions, anyone?
>
> ...Picky ~JA~

The sesame oil can be stored like any oil. I'd refrigerate the peanut sauce
after opening.

Jill

JeanineAlyse

jmcquown wrote:
> JeanineAlyse wrote:
> > Well, this new-to-me product saga began (here) with the Toasted Sesame
> > Oil that y'all taught me was primarily just for flavoring. Okay, I
> > can certainly respect that concept, but knowing not why I even bought
> > the little bottle, how 'bout some use suggestions?
> >

> Use a dash or two of it on stir-fried vegetables.
>
> > Next, I have no idea how to use the latest new-to-me that sounded very
> > tempting when I saw it in my cooks.com catalog tht I just had to have
> > it. It's Chinois, Shanghai Peanut Sauce.

> As a condiment on Asian satay (chicken, pork or beef).
>
> > Ideas and product after-opened storage instructions, anyone?
> >
> > ...Picky ~JA~

> The sesame oil can be stored like any oil. I'd refrigerate the peanut sauce
> after opening.
>
> Jill

Dash the TSO onto veggies! Yes, I can taste them now! But you lost me
on the "satay" word, so I will that one into a google next. Thanks,
Jill!
....Picky

jmcquown

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> JeanineAlyse wrote:
>>> it. It's Chinois, Shanghai Peanut Sauce.

>> As a condiment on Asian satay (chicken, pork or beef).
>>
>>> Ideas and product after-opened storage instructions, anyone?
>>>
>>> ...Picky ~JA~

>> The sesame oil can be stored like any oil. I'd refrigerate the
>> peanut sauce after opening.
>>
>> Jill

> Dash the TSO onto veggies! Yes, I can taste them now! But you lost
> me
> on the "satay" word, so I will that one into a google next. Thanks,
> Jill!
> ...Picky

http://chilemasters.tripod.com/satay-thailand-1.html

Basically marinated seasoned meat, threaded onto bamboo skewers and grilled.
Good stuff!

Jill

Sheldon

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> Well, this new-to-me product saga began (here) with the Toasted Sesame
> Oil that y'all taught me was primarily just for flavoring. Okay, I can
> certainly respect that concept, but knowing not why I even bought the
> little bottle, how 'bout some use suggestions? (Cooking ones, Sheldon,
> me bud.) All I can find through googling through several pages is how
> to make my own, not how/where to use the already made product.

Toasted sesame seed oil is a staple in oriental cousine (used as a
flavoring agent and as a condiment), used as freely as Americans use
ketchup, only in far smaller quantities; it's used in marinades, as a
seasoning in many oriental dishes, as an ingredient in dipping sauce,
splashed onto foods of all types especially into soups... but typically
not used with seafood and mushroom dishes. During summer one of my
favorite uses is as flavoring in citrusy oriental style salad
dressings. Only caution is to be very careful not to use too much, the
flavoring power of toasted sesame seed oil is extremely potent... if
not sure how much always use less, much less... rarely is more than 3-4
drops used in a dish for one... a half tsp is plenty for 1 cup of salad
dressing.

> Next, I have no idea how to use the latest new-to-me that sounded very
> tempting when I saw it in my cooks.com catalog tht I just had to have
> it. It's Chinois, Shanghai Peanut Sauce. Again, as far as I can see
> google only gives me the how-to-make-its.
>
> Ideas and product after-opened storage instructions, anyone?

Toasted sesame seed oil is treated the same as olive oil, store in a
cool place away from light, has a two year shelf life... you'll know
when it begins to go rancid... there's a reason it's sold in small
bottles. Of course if you can find a partner to share you can buy
toasted sesame seed oil at restaurant supply emporiums in one liter
tins for a LOT less per ounce than those teensy bottles, will cost
probably only one third the price per ounce.... just that it's really
difficult to use up even a half liter in a couple of years, even if you
use a few drops every day.

Obversely peanut sauce is excellent with shellfish... but again, use
sparingly. Read the label, yours may well contain toasted sesame seed
oil, than I'd not use it with shellfish, but would be really good in a
dressing for a tossed salad made with Chinese veggies.

You really need to search and read through Oriental recipe sites, that
will give you ideas about how to use those products, plus don't be
afaind to experiment with small quantities.

Sheldon

JeanineAlyse

Sheldon wrote...and wrote regarding use for Toasted Sasame Oil and
Peanut Sauce:
> > Well, this new-to-me product saga began (here) with the Toasted Sesame
> > Oil that y'all taught me was primarily just for flavoring. Okay, I can
> > certainly respect that concept, but knowing not why I even bought the
> > little bottle, how 'bout some use suggestions? (Cooking ones, Sheldon,
> > me bud.) All I can find through googling through several pages is how
> > to make my own, not how/where to use the already made product.

> Toasted sesame seed oil is a staple in oriental cousine (used as a
> flavoring agent and as a condiment), used as freely as Americans use
> ketchup, only in far smaller quantities; it's used in marinades, as a
> seasoning in many oriental dishes, as an ingredient in dipping sauce,
> splashed onto foods of all types especially into soups... but typically
> not used with seafood and mushroom dishes. During summer one of my
> favorite uses is as flavoring in citrusy oriental style salad
> dressings. Only caution is to be very careful not to use too much, the
> flavoring power of toasted sesame seed oil is extremely potent... if
> not sure how much always use less, much less... rarely is more than 3-4
> drops used in a dish for one... a half tsp is plenty for 1 cup of salad
> dressing.
> Toasted sesame seed oil is treated the same as olive oil, store in a
> cool place away from light, has a two year shelf life... you'll know
> when it begins to go rancid... there's a reason it's sold in small
> bottles. Of course if you can find a partner to share you can buy
> toasted sesame seed oil at restaurant supply emporiums in one liter
> tins for a LOT less per ounce than those teensy bottles, will cost
> probably only one third the price per ounce.... just that it's really
> difficult to use up even a half liter in a couple of years, even if you
> use a few drops every day.
> Obversely peanut sauce is excellent with shellfish... but again, use
> sparingly. Read the label, yours may well contain toasted sesame seed
> oil, than I'd not use it with shellfish, but would be really good in a
> dressing for a tossed salad made with Chinese veggies.
> You really need to search and read through Oriental recipe sites, that
> will give you ideas about how to use those products, plus don't be
> afaind to experiment with small quantities.

Wow! Such a tell to stuff me with wonderful ideas! Thank you so much,
Sheldon. Between you and Jill I now imagine I have all I need for a
begin on enjoying this trip toward taste delights.

....Picky...She said while knowing the jar of Nutella and the can of
steel oats learned of here are waiting in line as well.

JeanineAlyse

Sheldon wrote:
> JeanineAlyse wrote:
> > Well, this new-to-me product saga began (here) with the Toasted Sesame
> > Oil that y'all taught me was primarily just for flavoring. Okay, I can
> > certainly respect that concept, but knowing not why I even bought the
> > little bottle, how 'bout some use suggestions? (Cooking ones, Sheldon,
> > me bud.) All I can find through googling through several pages is how
> > to make my own, not how/where to use the already made product.

> Toasted sesame seed oil is a staple in oriental cousine (used as a
> flavoring agent and as a condiment), used as freely as Americans use
> ketchup, only in far smaller quantities; it's used in marinades, as a
> seasoning in many oriental dishes, as an ingredient in dipping sauce,
> splashed onto foods of all types especially into soups... but typically
> not used with seafood and mushroom dishes. During summer one of my
> favorite uses is as flavoring in citrusy oriental style salad
> dressings. Only caution is to be very careful not to use too much, the
> flavoring power of toasted sesame seed oil is extremely potent... if
> not sure how much always use less, much less... rarely is more than 3-4
> drops used in a dish for one... a half tsp is plenty for 1 cup of salad
> dressing.
>
> > Next, I have no idea how to use the latest new-to-me that sounded very
> > tempting when I saw it in my cooks.com catalog tht I just had to have
> > it. It's Chinois, Shanghai Peanut Sauce. Again, as far as I can see
> > google only gives me the how-to-make-its.
> >
> > Ideas and product after-opened storage instructions, anyone?

> Toasted sesame seed oil is treated the same as olive oil, store in a
> cool place away from light, has a two year shelf life... you'll know
> when it begins to go rancid... there's a reason it's sold in small
> bottles. Of course if you can find a partner to share you can buy
> toasted sesame seed oil at restaurant supply emporiums in one liter
> tins for a LOT less per ounce than those teensy bottles, will cost
> probably only one third the price per ounce.... just that it's really
> difficult to use up even a half liter in a couple of years, even if you
> use a few drops every day.
>
> Obversely peanut sauce is excellent with shellfish... but again, use
> sparingly. Read the label, yours may well contain toasted sesame seed
> oil, than I'd not use it with shellfish, but would be really good in a
> dressing for a tossed salad made with Chinese veggies.
>
> You really need to search and read through Oriental recipe sites, that
> will give you ideas about how to use those products, plus don't be
> afaind to experiment with small quantities.
>
> Sheldon

Damsel

"JeanineAlyse" > said:

> ...Picky...She said while knowing the jar of Nutella and the can of
> steel oats learned of here are waiting in line as well.

Mix Nutella with mascarpone cheese. It'll freeze your arteries in their
tracks, but you'll die with a smile on your face.

Carol
Bob

Carol wrote:

> Mix Nutella with mascarpone cheese. It'll freeze your arteries in their
> tracks, but you'll die with a smile on your face.

A couple nights ago I finished off the remnants of a jar of Nutella by
putting dollops onto fresh strawberries.

Bob

Damsel

"Bob" > said:

> A couple nights ago I finished off the remnants of a jar of Nutella by
> putting dollops onto fresh strawberries.

You know, you could go to prison for that ...

Carol

Bob

Carol replied:

>> A couple nights ago I finished off the remnants of a jar of Nutella by
>> putting dollops onto fresh strawberries.

> You know, you could go to prison for that ...

Hold on a minute, I thought that "CARAMEL Knowledge" was the crime I had to
avoid! I didn't know there was any statute against pseudocarpal
nutellification!

Bob

kilikini

"JeanineAlyse" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> jmcquown wrote:
> > JeanineAlyse wrote:
> > > Well, this new-to-me product saga began (here) with the Toasted Sesame
> > > Oil that y'all taught me was primarily just for flavoring. Okay, I
> > > can certainly respect that concept, but knowing not why I even bought
> > > the little bottle, how 'bout some use suggestions?
> > >

> > Use a dash or two of it on stir-fried vegetables.
> >
> > > Next, I have no idea how to use the latest new-to-me that sounded very
> > > tempting when I saw it in my cooks.com catalog tht I just had to have
> > > it. It's Chinois, Shanghai Peanut Sauce.

> > As a condiment on Asian satay (chicken, pork or beef).
> >
> > > Ideas and product after-opened storage instructions, anyone?
> > >
> > > ...Picky ~JA~

> > The sesame oil can be stored like any oil. I'd refrigerate the peanut

sauce
> > after opening.
> >
> > Jill

> Dash the TSO onto veggies! Yes, I can taste them now! But you lost me
> on the "satay" word, so I will that one into a google next. Thanks,
> Jill!
> ...Picky

You could also add a dash into your fried rice or packaged ramen.

kili

aem

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> Wow! Such a tell to stuff me with wonderful ideas! Thank you so much,
> Sheldon. Between you and Jill I now imagine I have all I need for a
> begin on enjoying this trip toward taste delights.

Sesame oil complements eggs, too. For example, make an omelet:

String a handful of snowpeas and slice them in half diagonally.
Rinse a handful of bean sprouts.
For each omelet, beat two extra large eggs with 1/2 eggshell of
water, a few drops of sesame oil, a pinch of salt and pepper.
Heat a pan, add peanut oil and butter, 50-50.
When oil is hot, add snowpeas, toss for 1 minute.
Add beansprouts, toss for 30 seconds.
Add eggs, tilt pan and lift edges of eggs as they cook, until nearly
all cooked.
Finish by tilting/folding in thirds.

Nexis

"JeanineAlyse" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well, this new-to-me product saga began (here) with the Toasted Sesame
> Oil that y'all taught me was primarily just for flavoring. Okay, I can
> certainly respect that concept, but knowing not why I even bought the
> little bottle, how 'bout some use suggestions? (Cooking ones, Sheldon,
> me bud.) All I can find through googling through several pages is how
> to make my own, not how/where to use the already made product.
>
> Next, I have no idea how to use the latest new-to-me that sounded very
> tempting when I saw it in my cooks.com catalog tht I just had to have
> it. It's Chinois, Shanghai Peanut Sauce. Again, as far as I can see
> google only gives me the how-to-make-its.
>
> Ideas and product after-opened storage instructions, anyone?
>
> ...Picky ~JA~

Toasted Sesame oil is a must for gyoza! :-)

Gyoza
------------------
2 chicken breasts, the boneless, skinless variety
1 can water chestnuts, drained and minced
1/4 cup bamboo shoots, drained and minced
1/4 cup minced green onion
1/4 cup minced bok choy (optional)
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 pkg gyoza wrappers (usually found next to wonton wrappers, yakisoba,
etc...depending on the stores in your area)
1. Cook and then mince the chicken. When cool, combine with all of the
other ingred. except the gyoza wrappers.
2. Place about 2 tsp of filling in each wrapper. Wet one side of wrapper
edge and seal. Repeat until filling is gone. (If you have too many, these
freeze wonderfully--do not cook before freezing)
3. Put a small am't of oil in pan (skillet or wok)
and heat. Add 6-8 gyoza and brown on both sides. Add 1/4 cup of water and
cover for 1 minute. Remove from pan and serve.
NOTE: you can (and I sometimes do) skip the water and serve crunchy.
Equally delicious!)

GYOZA DIPPING SAUCE
----------------------------------
1/4 c soy sauce
1 tsp hot sauce or 1/2 tsp chili paste (Sriracha is a good choice)
2 tsp sesame oil

Combine in a small bowl and serve with gyoza.

ENJOY!

kimberly

Nexis

"JeanineAlyse" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> ...Picky...She said while knowing the jar of Nutella and the can of
> steel oats learned of here are waiting in line as well.

Take your leftover gyoza wrappers and fill with Nutella and strawberry
slices, and fry til golden. Dust with powdered sugar. You'll think you died
and went to heaven!

kimberly

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> Hold on a minute, I thought that "CARAMEL Knowledge"

LOL!! ? Do you have the book?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

looking for supplier - water purification products: General Ecology Seagull IV model x1f and x1d, rs1sg cartridge, rs2sg cartridge, and other products Edward Bertsch Marketplace 1 04-09-2005 12:34 AM
Products to buy Vivian Ramos Diabetic 3 22-07-2004 06:11 PM
Products Creative Rootz Baking 0 14-05-2004 05:53 PM
Products Creative Rootz Chocolate 0 14-05-2004 05:53 PM
New Products Creative Rootz Tea 0 14-05-2004 05:52 PM