pearl

Default Fruit Stickers-Look for the 8

12-Nov-2003

You've noticed that tiny stickers that now appear on almost all
fruit, and probably been annoyed that you have to peel each one off.
These contain bar codes for the check-out clerk, but they also
contain a secret the store might not want you to know.

Nutritionist Karma Metzgar of the University of Missouri writes that
these stickers also tell you if the fruit is organic or genetically-
modified. On conventionally-grown, non-organic fruit, the sticker has
only 4 numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral code,
which begins with the number 9. Since organic fruits and vegetables
now have to be in separate areas in grocery stores, this confirms
that your apple hasn't ended up in the wrong pile. However, the store
does not have to reveal which fruits and vegetables are genetically-
modified-but you can find out by looking at their stickers, which
will begin with the number 8.

According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana would have a
sticker saying 4011, an organic banana would say 94011 and a GM
banana would say 84011.

Lots of people complain that the stickers are too hard to peel off,
so it may be a relief to know that the adhesive is safe to eat.

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3314

Jonathan Ball

The paranoid irrational food crazies get it wrong, AGAIN.

pearl wrote:

> 12-Nov-2003
>
> You've noticed that tiny stickers that now appear on almost all
> fruit, and probably been annoyed that you have to peel each one off.
> These contain bar codes for the check-out clerk, but they also
> contain a secret the store might not want you to know.

HERE we go: the usual paranoid irrational leftist
belief that "they" - always some mysterious, invisible
"they" for the ****ing loony paranoids - want to
conceal something.

The stickers do NOT contain bar codes. They contain an
eye-readable numeric code that the grocery clerk must
manually into the terminal.

As for the "organic" bullshit, organic fruits and
vegetables always are identified as such.

> Nutritionist Karma Metzgar of the University of Missouri writes that
> these stickers also tell you if the fruit is organic or genetically-
> modified. On conventionally-grown, non-organic fruit, the sticker has
> only 4 numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral code,
> which begins with the number 9. Since organic fruits and vegetables
> now have to be in separate areas in grocery stores, this confirms
> that your apple hasn't ended up in the wrong pile. However, the store
> does not have to reveal which fruits and vegetables are genetically-
> modified-but you can find out by looking at their stickers, which
> will begin with the number 8.
>
> According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana would have a
> sticker saying 4011, an organic banana would say 94011 and a GM
> banana would say 84011.
>
> Lots of people complain that the stickers are too hard to peel off,
> so it may be a relief to know that the adhesive is safe to eat.
>
> http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3314

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
link.net...

> The paranoid irrational food crazies get it wrong, AGAIN.

Would it be possible to reveal your source that would disprove this Metzgar
persons credibility? I am not "paranoid", "irrational", or "leftist" but do
like to see both sides data before I make my own judgements If you do
respond, would it be possible to do it civily without profanity? Thanks...

> pearl wrote:
>
> > 12-Nov-2003
> >
> > You've noticed that tiny stickers that now appear on almost all
> > fruit, and probably been annoyed that you have to peel each one off.
> > These contain bar codes for the check-out clerk, but they also
> > contain a secret the store might not want you to know.

> HERE we go: the usual paranoid irrational leftist
> belief that "they" - always some mysterious, invisible
> "they" for the ****ing loony paranoids - want to
> conceal something.
>
> The stickers do NOT contain bar codes. They contain an
> eye-readable numeric code that the grocery clerk must
> manually into the terminal.
>
> As for the "organic" bullshit, organic fruits and
> vegetables always are identified as such.
>

> > Nutritionist Karma Metzgar of the University of Missouri writes that
> > these stickers also tell you if the fruit is organic or genetically-
> > modified. On conventionally-grown, non-organic fruit, the sticker has
> > only 4 numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral code,
> > which begins with the number 9. Since organic fruits and vegetables
> > now have to be in separate areas in grocery stores, this confirms
> > that your apple hasn't ended up in the wrong pile. However, the store
> > does not have to reveal which fruits and vegetables are genetically-
> > modified-but you can find out by looking at their stickers, which
> > will begin with the number 8.
> >
> > According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana would have a
> > sticker saying 4011, an organic banana would say 94011 and a GM
> > banana would say 84011.
> >
> > Lots of people complain that the stickers are too hard to peel off,
> > so it may be a relief to know that the adhesive is safe to eat.
> >
> > http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3314

usual suspect

Jonathan Ball wrote:
> The paranoid irrational food crazies get it wrong, AGAIN.
>
> pearl wrote:
>
>> 12-Nov-2003
>>
>> You've noticed that tiny stickers that now appear on almost all
>> fruit, and probably been annoyed that you have to peel each one off.
>> These contain bar codes for the check-out clerk, but they also
>> contain a secret the store might not want you to know.

> HERE we go: the usual paranoid irrational leftist belief that "they" -
> always some mysterious, invisible "they" for the ****ing loony paranoids
> - want to conceal something.
>
> The stickers do NOT contain bar codes. They contain an eye-readable
> numeric code that the grocery clerk must manually into the terminal.
>
> As for the "organic" bullshit, organic fruits and vegetables always are
> identified as such.

Note the source below. The site belongs to Whitley Streiber. He lives in
San Antonio, an hour away. He's written books on alien abduction
("Communion," etc.). Oh yeah, check out his online store, too (all his
books are listed as well). The feature is:
Secrets of a Medium &
How to to Get a Good Reading.

Some mediums work. Learn how to become one yourself and how to
get a good reading from two of the best.
http://www.unknowncountry.com/store/

THAT's going on the damn list!!

27. Uses a "source" that sells books on how to get a good psychic.

>> Nutritionist Karma Metzgar of the University of Missouri writes that
>> these stickers also tell you if the fruit is organic or genetically-
>> modified. On conventionally-grown, non-organic fruit, the sticker has
>> only 4 numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral code,
>> which begins with the number 9. Since organic fruits and vegetables
>> now have to be in separate areas in grocery stores, this confirms
>> that your apple hasn't ended up in the wrong pile. However, the store
>> does not have to reveal which fruits and vegetables are genetically-
>> modified-but you can find out by looking at their stickers, which
>> will begin with the number 8.
>>
>> According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana would have a
>> sticker saying 4011, an organic banana would say 94011 and a GM
>> banana would say 84011.
>>
>> Lots of people complain that the stickers are too hard to peel off,
>> so it may be a relief to know that the adhesive is safe to eat.
>>
>> http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3314

Jonathan Ball

<> wrote:

> "Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>

>>The paranoid irrational food crazies get it wrong, AGAIN.

> Would it be possible to reveal your source that would disprove this Metzgar
> persons credibility?

I didn't say anything that challenged her credibility.
It's the skanky whore Lesley's credibility that is
always challenged.

> I am not "paranoid", "irrational", or "leftist" but do
> like to see both sides data before I make my own judgements If you do
> respond, would it be possible to do it civily without profanity? Thanks...

I'm not sure what it is that you want to see
documented. That the produce stickers don't contain
barcodes? Here is a page:

http://www.mundanebehavior.org/outbu...n-07012002.htm

where you can see some standard produce ID stickers.
The first two don't look like any stickers I've ever
seen, but all the remaining ones are very typical of
produce sold in the three largest grocery chains in Los
Angeles (Ralphs, Vons and Albertsons). Note: no barcodes.

This page:

http://www.naturalfoodsmerchandiser....03/barcode.cfm

shows barcodes that may be coming soon, but are not yet
in use. Read the article, and you'll see that grocers
are very concerned with underpricing of organic
produce, because of misidentification.

Currently, there are two possible errors:
misidentifying organic produce as conventional, which
grocers have an incentive not to do (immediate monetary
loss); and misidentifying conventional produce as
organic, which is against the law. The thrust of the
article that the stupid lying whore Lesley posted is
that grocers somehow want to fool consumers into
thinking that conventional produce is organic, or at
least allow them to think it. The charge is baseless,
and all too predictably, the lying whore Lesley didn't
offer anything to support the innuendo. Organic
produce in supermarkets is clearly marked as organic,
for the aforementioned incentive (get more money for
it). There isn't a shopper anywhere who doesn't know
that if it doesn't say organic, it isn't organic.

>>pearl wrote:
>>

>>>12-Nov-2003
>>>
>>>You've noticed that tiny stickers that now appear on almost all
>>>fruit, and probably been annoyed that you have to peel each one off.
>>>These contain bar codes for the check-out clerk, but they also
>>>contain a secret the store might not want you to know.

>>HERE we go: the usual paranoid irrational leftist
>>belief that "they" - always some mysterious, invisible
>>"they" for the ****ing loony paranoids - want to
>>conceal something.
>>
>>The stickers do NOT contain bar codes. They contain an
>>eye-readable numeric code that the grocery clerk must
>>manually into the terminal.
>>
>>As for the "organic" bullshit, organic fruits and
>>vegetables always are identified as such.
>>

>>>Nutritionist Karma Metzgar of the University of Missouri writes that
>>>these stickers also tell you if the fruit is organic or genetically-
>>>modified. On conventionally-grown, non-organic fruit, the sticker has
>>>only 4 numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral code,
>>>which begins with the number 9. Since organic fruits and vegetables
>>>now have to be in separate areas in grocery stores, this confirms
>>>that your apple hasn't ended up in the wrong pile. However, the store
>>>does not have to reveal which fruits and vegetables are genetically-
>>>modified-but you can find out by looking at their stickers, which
>>>will begin with the number 8.
>>>
>>>According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana would have a
>>>sticker saying 4011, an organic banana would say 94011 and a GM
>>>banana would say 84011.
>>>
>>>Lots of people complain that the stickers are too hard to peel off,
>>>so it may be a relief to know that the adhesive is safe to eat.
>>>
>>>http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3314

Jonathan Ball

usual suspect wrote:

> Jonathan Ball wrote:
>
>> The paranoid irrational food crazies get it wrong, AGAIN.
>>
>> pearl wrote:
>>
>>> 12-Nov-2003
>>>
>>> You've noticed that tiny stickers that now appear on almost all
>>> fruit, and probably been annoyed that you have to peel each one off.
>>> These contain bar codes for the check-out clerk, but they also
>>> contain a secret the store might not want you to know.

>> HERE we go: the usual paranoid irrational leftist belief that "they"
>> - always some mysterious, invisible "they" for the ****ing loony
>> paranoids - want to conceal something.
>>
>> The stickers do NOT contain bar codes. They contain an eye-readable
>> numeric code that the grocery clerk must manually into the terminal.
>>
>> As for the "organic" bullshit, organic fruits and vegetables always
>> are identified as such.

> Note the source below. The site belongs to Whitley Streiber.

Good catch. I didn't look at the site.

I saw that stupid "Communion" book when it came out
back in the 1980s. What a joke; right up Lesley's alley.

> He lives in
> San Antonio, an hour away. He's written books on alien abduction
> ("Communion," etc.). Oh yeah, check out his online store, too (all his
> books are listed as well). The feature is:
> Secrets of a Medium &
> How to to Get a Good Reading.
>
> Some mediums work. Learn how to become one yourself and how to
> get a good reading from two of the best.
> http://www.unknowncountry.com/store/
>
> THAT's going on the damn list!!
>
> 27. Uses a "source" that sells books on how to get a good psychic.

Heh heh heh...

>>> Nutritionist Karma Metzgar of the University of Missouri writes that
>>> these stickers also tell you if the fruit is organic or genetically-
>>> modified. On conventionally-grown, non-organic fruit, the sticker has
>>> only 4 numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral code,
>>> which begins with the number 9. Since organic fruits and vegetables
>>> now have to be in separate areas in grocery stores, this confirms
>>> that your apple hasn't ended up in the wrong pile. However, the store
>>> does not have to reveal which fruits and vegetables are genetically-
>>> modified-but you can find out by looking at their stickers, which
>>> will begin with the number 8.
>>>
>>> According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana would have a
>>> sticker saying 4011, an organic banana would say 94011 and a GM
>>> banana would say 84011.
>>>
>>> Lots of people complain that the stickers are too hard to peel off,
>>> so it may be a relief to know that the adhesive is safe to eat.
>>>
>>> http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3314

pearl

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Currently, there are two possible errors:
> misidentifying organic produce as conventional, which
> grocers have an incentive not to do (immediate monetary
> loss); and misidentifying conventional produce as
> organic, which is against the law.

And a third- having no way of identifying genetically
modified produce, which grocers and the industry have
an incentive not to do (immediate monetary loss).

> The thrust of the article ... posted is
> that grocers somehow want to fool consumers into
> thinking that conventional produce is organic, or at
> least allow them to think it.

The thrust of the article posted is to give shoppers
information so that they can distinguish between
conventional and GM produce, not that anybody
somehow wants to fool consumers into thinking that
conventional produce is organic, but that GM produce
is conventional, or at least allow them to think it.
(Clue, look at the title of the article)

> Organic
> produce in supermarkets is clearly marked as organic,
> for the aforementioned incentive (get more money for
> it). There isn't a shopper anywhere who doesn't know
> that if it doesn't say organic, it isn't organic.

Genetically modified produce is not clearly marked as GM.
for the aforementioned reason (get less, or no, money for it).

<..>
> >>The stickers do NOT contain bar codes. They contain an
> >>eye-readable numeric code that the grocery clerk must
> >>manually into the terminal.

Splitting hairs.

pearl

Genetically Modified Foods Have Serious Health Risks
The Science Behind the Anti-biotech Movement
by Jeffrey M. Smith
Conscious Choice, November 2003

In the summer of 2002, the British government sponsored the first-ever
research on genetically modified food (GMOs) using human subjects.
Researchers fed seven volunteers a single meal of soy burgers and soy
milkshakes. The soy was genetically modified, as are 80 percent of the
soybeans planted in the US.

The volunteers were selected because they had all previously had their
lower intestines removed and were using a colostomy bag -- the bag
collected digested material after it passed through the small intestine.
Researchers were surprised to discover that in every case, a large
amount of genetically modified DNA survived digestion and remained
intact. (Biotech companies had insisted that DNA is broken down.)
Moreover, the modified gene from the soybean transferred into DNA
of bacteria inside the gut of three volunteers. Their intestinal bacteria,
like GMO soybeans, contained a foreign gene that allowed the bacteria to
survive a dose of weed killer. No one knows what the health consequences
of this are.

Scientists are more concerned about a related danger. Most genetically
engineered crops contain an antibiotic resistant marker (ARM) gene.
These allow the cells to survive an otherwise deadly application of
antibiotics. The ARM gene used in GMO corn, for example, confers
resistance to the antibiotic, ampicillin.

What if an ARM gene jumped from our corn muffins into our gut bacteria?
Could bacteria in our body become resistant to antibiotics?

The British Medical Association thinks so and cited this serious risk as one
of their reasons for wanting an immediate moratorium on genetically engineered
foods.

Likewise, when FDA scientists were asked in 1992 to approve ARM genes
in the first GMO crop, a tomato (no longer on the market), they were against it.
The director of the Division of Anti-infective Drug Products wrote in all capital
letters:

"IT WOULD BE A SERIOUS HEALTH HAZARD TO INTRODUCE A
GENE THAT CODES FOR ANTI-BIOTIC RESISTANCE INTO THE
NORMAL FLORA OF THE GENERAL POPULATION." Political
appointees overrode the scientists' recommendations and approved ARM
genes, siding with the biotech industry that assured them that DNA was
destroyed during digestion, and that genes could not transfer to gut bacteria.
Having disproved these assumptions, the soy burger study raises a more
serious threat. Before inserting a foreign gene, engineers attach a promoter
to keep the gene permanently switched on. Promoters overpower the cells'
regulatory system, which normally turn on genes only as needed. But
promoters can sometimes unintentionally switch on other naturally occurring
genes in the DNA, causing them to pump out potentially toxic or allergenic
proteins. Scientists are afraid that if these promoters transferred to bacteria
or internal organs, they might turn genes on at random or create unstable DNA.

Stanley Ewen, one of Scotland's leading experts in tissue disease, believes
that promoters might generate uncontrolled cell growth that could theoretically
lead to cancer. Evidence of unusually high cell growth in the digestive tract of
animals was discovered in three of the ten published animal feeding studies on
GMO foods. (Two showed increased cell growth. One showed increased
weight of the intestines. The other seven were not necessarily designed to
detect such changes.) In addition to the cell growth, a study published in the
prestigious Lancet found that young GMO-fed rats also had more sluggish
immune systems, partial atrophy of the liver, and smaller brains, livers, and
testicles.

Researchers believe that the unstable, unregulated, and aggressive promoter
may be the culprit.

In the absence of long-term safety tests, many people avoid eating GMO foods.
The four main GMO crops (unless labeled organic or non-GMO) are soy, corn,
cottonseed oil, and canola oil. Monsanto is now trying to introduce GMO wheat.

Jeffrey Smith is author of Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and
Government Lies about the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods
You're Eating. To order, call 888-717-7000, or click here.

http://www.consciouschoice.com/issue...drisk1611.html

ta

"pearl" > wrote in message
> 12-Nov-2003
>
> You've noticed that tiny stickers that now appear on almost all
> fruit, and probably been annoyed that you have to peel each one off.
> These contain bar codes for the check-out clerk, but they also
> contain a secret the store might not want you to know.
>
> Nutritionist Karma Metzgar of the University of Missouri writes that
> these stickers also tell you if the fruit is organic or genetically-
> modified. On conventionally-grown, non-organic fruit, the sticker has
> only 4 numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral code,
> which begins with the number 9. Since organic fruits and vegetables
> now have to be in separate areas in grocery stores, this confirms
> that your apple hasn't ended up in the wrong pile. However, the store
> does not have to reveal which fruits and vegetables are genetically-
> modified-but you can find out by looking at their stickers, which
> will begin with the number 8.
>
> According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana would have a
> sticker saying 4011, an organic banana would say 94011 and a GM
> banana would say 84011.
>
> Lots of people complain that the stickers are too hard to peel off,
> so it may be a relief to know that the adhesive is safe to eat.
>
> http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3314

Very interesting to know, especially for those who don't have access to
stores/farmer's markets that simply don't carry genetically modified foods.

pearl

"ta" > wrote in message ...

> "pearl" > wrote in message
> > 12-Nov-2003
> >
> > You've noticed that tiny stickers that now appear on almost all
> > fruit, and probably been annoyed that you have to peel each one off.
> > These contain bar codes for the check-out clerk, but they also
> > contain a secret the store might not want you to know.
> >
> > Nutritionist Karma Metzgar of the University of Missouri writes that
> > these stickers also tell you if the fruit is organic or genetically-
> > modified. On conventionally-grown, non-organic fruit, the sticker has
> > only 4 numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral code,
> > which begins with the number 9. Since organic fruits and vegetables
> > now have to be in separate areas in grocery stores, this confirms
> > that your apple hasn't ended up in the wrong pile. However, the store
> > does not have to reveal which fruits and vegetables are genetically-
> > modified-but you can find out by looking at their stickers, which
> > will begin with the number 8.
> >
> > According to Metzgar, this means a regular banana would have a
> > sticker saying 4011, an organic banana would say 94011 and a GM
> > banana would say 84011.
> >
> > Lots of people complain that the stickers are too hard to peel off,
> > so it may be a relief to know that the adhesive is safe to eat.
> >
> > http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3314

> Very interesting to know, especially for those who don't have access to
> stores/farmer's markets that simply don't carry genetically modified foods.

*Very much* so.