MrFalafel

Default Fried Green Tomatoes

Fried Green Tomatoes

4 large green tomatoes
2 cups plain corn meal
1 1/2 tbsp salt
pinch of black pepper
1/2 cup oil

wash the tomatoes and pat dry. Cut tomatoes in 1/4 inch slices.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dip each slice in corn meal and lay
aside on waxed paper. Heat oil. Fry tomato slices until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.

From 'A Taste of Georgia' by members of the Newmann Junior Service
League circa 1976
Jay

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> Fried Green Tomatoes
>
> 4 large green tomatoes
> 2 cups plain corn meal
> 1 1/2 tbsp salt
> pinch of black pepper
> 1/2 cup oil

Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite things in the world. Thanks for
the recipe! As a note, if you want really crispy outsides on your tomatoes,
I always dip them in a little soy milk first and then a cornstarch/cornmeal
mixture before frying.

-Jay

nemo

Jay > wrote in message

> "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Fried Green Tomatoes
> >
> > 4 large green tomatoes
> > 2 cups plain corn meal
> > 1 1/2 tbsp salt
> > pinch of black pepper
> > 1/2 cup oil

> Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite things in the world. Thanks

for
> the recipe! As a note, if you want really crispy outsides on your

tomatoes,
> I always dip them in a little soy milk first and then a

cornstarch/cornmeal
> mixture before frying.
>
> -Jay

Lots of Oxalic Acid in green toms. Never eat them raw. Frying should destroy
a fair bit of it but be careful, especially if you're prone to kidney
stones. I've had 'em and they don't 'arf 'urt! (^!^)

They're the equivalent of bad labour pains or having a limb torn off. That
sort of thing.

Nemo

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Jay of Shaw Residential
Internet said:

>Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite things in the world. Thanks for
>the recipe! As a note, if you want really crispy outsides on your tomatoes,
>I always dip them in a little soy milk first and then a cornstarch/cornmeal
>mixture before frying.

I wish I could try fried green tomatoes some day, but I can't get
green tomatoes where I live. I think you'll have to grow your own
tomatoes to get your hands on green ones, right?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
freddy

MEow:
> I wish I could try fried green tomatoes some day, but I can't get
> green tomatoes where I live. I think you'll have to grow your own
> tomatoes to get your hands on green ones, right?

Ask your greengrocer to get you some unripened tomatoes. If you still
have your veggie subscription, see if they'll give you some green
tomatoes next spring. Otherwise, your best bets are to grow them
yourself (can be done even in a flat) or travel where you can get real
tomatoes year-round.

oink :-)

PS: You know what I wrote about vegan women was right.