Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Storing pulses

Hi,

I enjoy eating these and was wondering if it's possible to freeze them for
storage? I'm always busy and live on my own and with soaking / boiling time
taking so long I was thinking I could cook them in larger quantities all at
once and enjoy them as a side dish more often. I kept some black eyed peas
and borlotti beans in the refrigerator for 2 days and it didn't seem to
impair the flavour too much.

Does anybody have any idea how best to store freshly cooked lentils and
beans for longer periods without damaging the texture / flavour too much?

Posted to alt.food.vegan

"M Jones" > wrote in message
> Does anybody have any idea how best to store freshly cooked lentils and
> beans for longer periods without damaging the texture / flavour too much?

Freezing will slow the degradation of flavor from bacterial growth and
their toxic metabolites quite well, but freeing generally will degrade the
texture because freezing breaks open cells by the expanding ice crystals.
Assuming you cook your beans to mush anyway, you should not object to
this.

Laurie

Posted to alt.food.vegan

M Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I enjoy eating these and was wondering if it's possible to freeze them for
> storage? I'm always busy and live on my own and with soaking / boiling time
> taking so long I was thinking I could cook them in larger quantities all at
> once and enjoy them as a side dish more often. I kept some black eyed peas
> and borlotti beans in the refrigerator for 2 days and it didn't seem to
> impair the flavour too much.
>
> Does anybody have any idea how best to store freshly cooked lentils and
> beans for longer periods without damaging the texture / flavour too much?

Although I have no real desire to freeze them, I am curious to hear any
answers to your question - with the addition of Chick Peas (AKA Garbanzo
beans).

--
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free - Goethe
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Pulses in the freezer
===============

At home, I make soy milk from soy beans.

After soaking the beans and rinsing, I always store 1 cup amounts in
zip bags in the freezer till I am ready to use them with my auto soy
milk maker device.

They are actually improved for this process because of what the
freezing does to the soaked bean. Taste doesn't suffer and the
freezing also keeps the beans from foaming over in the device.

Gary

Posted to alt.food.vegan

zydecogary wrote:
> Pulses in the freezer
> ===============
>
> At home, I make soy milk from soy beans.
>
> After soaking the beans and rinsing, I always store 1 cup amounts in
> zip bags in the freezer till I am ready to use them with my auto soy
> milk maker device.
>
> They are actually improved for this process because of what the
> freezing does to the soaked bean. Taste doesn't suffer and the
> freezing also keeps the beans from foaming over in the device.

Sounds good!

As an aside, it is really frustrating trying to find soy milk in
supermarkets here that *doesn't* have sugar - in fact it appears to be
impossible at this time (in Australia at least).

--
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free - Goethe

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Jesus wrote

Sounds good!

As an aside, it is really frustrating trying to find soy milk in
supermarkets here that *doesn't* have sugar - in fact it appears to
be
impossible at this time (in Australia at least).

=============

As I make my own soy milk at home -- I don't use sugar. I either use
Stevia (the liquid or the white powder) or honey.

If you haven't made soy milk at home -- it's so, so easy and way way
cheaper.

There is a lot of information on the WEB or I can give you some hints.
(I may have written about it before in this forum.)

If I am not using an automatic soy milk maker which produces a quart
in about 12 minutes or less, I use my microwave to make two quarts at
a time. If the later, I process my pre-soaked soy beans in my Smoothy
Maker (or blender) before adding water and placing in the microwave
for controled heating.

[I buy my Stevia at http://www.vitacost.com/, but you can get it from
many places]

[Stevia -- see http://www.stevia.net/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia]

Gary
Greenbelt, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.vegan

zydecogary wrote:
> Jesus wrote
>
> Sounds good!
>
> As an aside, it is really frustrating trying to find soy milk in
> supermarkets here that *doesn't* have sugar - in fact it appears to
> be
> impossible at this time (in Australia at least).
>
> =============
>
> As I make my own soy milk at home -- I don't use sugar. I either use
> Stevia (the liquid or the white powder) or honey.
>
> If you haven't made soy milk at home -- it's so, so easy and way way
> cheaper.
>
> There is a lot of information on the WEB or I can give you some hints.
> (I may have written about it before in this forum.)
>
> If I am not using an automatic soy milk maker which produces a quart
> in about 12 minutes or less, I use my microwave to make two quarts at
> a time. If the later, I process my pre-soaked soy beans in my Smoothy
> Maker (or blender) before adding water and placing in the microwave
> for controled heating.
>
> [I buy my Stevia at http://www.vitacost.com/, but you can get it from
> many places]
>
> [Stevia -- see http://www.stevia.net/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia]

Thanks for the reply Gary.
I'm always keen to see alternative recipes, so if you have it handy then
by all means post! If not, no problem at all.

I am still a little reluctant to make my own soy milk - not because it
daunts me - just that it seems like I make damned near everything else
at home too... and collectively it adds up to a LOT of time spent in the
kitchen!

I'm considering almond milk as an alternative however, because it
requires no legnthy preparation as such - no soaking, cooking, etc...
basically straight into the processor, filter it and you're done. I'm
sure there are other nots and seeds that could be also used.

Cheers,

Posted to alt.food.vegan

On Sep 12, 12:42 am, Jeßus > wrote:
> zydecogary wrote:
> > Jesus wrote

> > Sounds good!

> > As an aside, it is really frustrating trying to find soy milk in
> > supermarkets here that *doesn't* have sugar - in fact it appears to
> > be
> > impossible at this time (in Australia at least).

> > =============

> > As I make my own soy milk at home -- I don't use sugar. I either use
> > Stevia (the liquid or the white powder) or honey.

> > If you haven't made soy milk at home -- it's so, so easy and way way
> > cheaper.

> > There is a lot of information on the WEB or I can give you some hints.
> > (I may have written about it before in this forum.)

> > If I am not using an automatic soy milk maker which produces a quart
> > in about 12 minutes or less, I use my microwave to make two quarts at
> > a time. If the later, I process my pre-soaked soy beans in my Smoothy
> > Maker (or blender) before adding water and placing in the microwave
> > for controled heating.

> > [I buy my Stevia athttp://www.vitacost.com/, but you can get it from
> > many places]

> > [Stevia -- seehttp://www.stevia.net/orhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia]

> Thanks for the reply Gary.
> I'm always keen to see alternative recipes, so if you have it handy then
> by all means post! If not, no problem at all.
>
> I am still a little reluctant to make my own soy milk - not because it
> daunts me - just that it seems like I make damned near everything else
> at home too... and collectively it adds up to a LOT of time spent in the
> kitchen!
>
> I'm considering almond milk as an alternative however, because it
> requires no legnthy preparation as such - no soaking, cooking, etc...
> basically straight into the processor, filter it and you're done. I'm
> sure there are other nots and seeds that could be also used.
>
> Cheers,
>
> J- Hide quoted text -

JESUS.................................

HERE IS MY PREVIOUS POST OF JULY 25TH THAT YOU ASKED FOR

MAKING SOY MILK
-- WITH OR WITHOUT A MACHINE

A person asked a question about a Soy Milk Maker in another
group/forum. My response may be of interest to readers
here.

-----------------------

I read your post about a Soy Milk Maker and I thought I'de
take a stab at it to help you and other readers out.

I've had an automatic soy milk maker since 2002 although I
have been making soy milk off and on since the 1970s using
simple kitchen equipment that you probably already have --
more about that later.

My first machine stopped functioning correctly after the
third batch. I returned it for an exchange. My machine was
manufactured by Shunde Keshun (China.) Although I can still
use the machine, and I do so from time to time I have to be
very careful to prevent "foam overflow." This is a problem
that has been discussed on Internet forums by others who
own various soy milk makers and is a concern.

POINT: Be careful when and if your purchase one that there
is a return policy and a warranty.

POINT: Although I can use mine, you may not want to be
bothered by the extra precautions that I have to take.

POINT: The more people that can provide you with their
experiences the better off you are in making a decision.

SOY MILK MAKER MACHINES

There are many machines on the market. Not all of them
will be available to you and it is impossible to tell from
the write-ups which is the one for you -- but you can get
some sort of an idea.

Lots of people seem to like the SoyaJoy models. This was
one of the early ones that had WEB presence and were
available for purchase, so much of the forum writings
centered around this machine. Also, their WEB site is
probably one of the best for presenting information and
propaganda (not necessarily a bad word) for their machine
and soy milk. You should at least take a look at
http://www.soymilkmaker.com/

When I was looking, years ago, I found it too expensive
when compared to others, but I just noticed that they are
discounting it for a while with almost $50 off for a $90
sale price. To compare, most soy milk machines run between
$60 and $150 with some topping $200. I believe that these
expensive ones also shine your shoes.

There are other popular models on the market that you can
see on the Internet such as Soyabella, SoyQuick, SoyLover,
Tayama, SoyToy, HomeSmart, etc. Check out Amazon.com
http://amazon.com "soy milk maker" for some information.

Other popular ones include the Salton, Miracle Soy Wonder,
Hurricane Soy Milk Maker, etc.

Check out Google http://google.com "soy milk maker"

Check out BizRate http://www.bizrate.com/ "soy milk maker"

Check out Epinions http://epionions.com "soy milk maker"
look for the reviews for SoyaJoy at
http://tinyurl.com/2sgoum Please note that although these
reviews are probably valid someone once wrote that some
reviews, like these, may be "salted" by the sellers.

SOY MILK MAKER FORUMS

Although there used to be several USENET groups that had
regular conversations going about soy milk and soy milk
makers -- I don't see them anymore [If you find them let me
know.] Perhaps the popularity of the machines have
diminished, or, they are so good now that no one needs to
discuss them anymore.

PLACES TO BUY SOY MILK MAKERS

If you are fortunate enough to live in cities that have
large Asian sections -- like San Francisco, Los Angeles,
Las Vegas -- to name a few, you can find great Asian
electronics stores where a variety of soy milk makers are
on display and you can ask questions (hopefully the clerk
will know the answers) and have a hands-on comparison.

Anyway, stores such as the LA area's Marukai Market
(nicknamed the Costco of Asian Markets), Las Vegas'
Chinatown Plaza (99 Ranch Market), and San Francisco's
Asian electronic stores (I think on Pacific between
Stockton and Grant -- someone correct me if they are more
accurate with the location) have many on display.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR

Some things you should look for:

- The container (where the milk is heated should be glass
or stainless steel)

- The technique of adding the beans -- some you can load
the strainer basket before hand others you have to funnel
the beans into the basket after the unit is closed. Don't
think that putting the beans in the basket first is
necessarily the best, for the cutting blade will later have
to go into the same area and it may be a chore negotiating
it in.

- How much soy milk will it make at one time. Mine makes
5 cups which is fine as I am single. But if you have a
family who drinks much do you want a bigger device.

- How easy is it to clean -- mine is HARD. The milk cakes
on the heating element and has a tendency to burn. It is
difficult to remove the cake. Some units don't use an
immersible heating element and heat from the bottom of the
unit. I've never used one of these but it sounds like a
good idea.

- Usually the container of all models is very easy to clean.

- With some you have to be extremely careful not to splash
water where it can get to the electronics. If your unit is
very heavy, this might be a task. So weight of the unit is
a consideration.

- How easy is it to clean the bean holding filter basket?
It can be of fine mesh so you will have to treat it with
care while cleaning -- or you might puncture it.

- If you order a maker from an overseas Asian source (not
recommended incase of a problem) make sure it is for 110
Volts not 220 Volts. Probably not a good idea anyway
because it might be lacking the UL approval unless they
have a US inspector at their factory.

- Cost may be a concern. Will the more expensive machine
be better or will the cheaper one be more cost effective?
[I don't know - you will have to judge] I make most of my
soy milk without the use of a soy milk maker machine -- see
below.

USING DRY OR SOAKED BEANS

Some models of soy milk makers can produce soy milk from
both dry and soaked soy beans. It is generally agreed that
you should soak your beans for 6 hours even though your
machine might be able to use dry beans. The strain on the
machine, plus the lower quality of soy milk produced is
generally not desired.

MAKING YOUR SOY MILK WITHOUT A MACHINE

When I first started making soy milk, over 30 years ago,
it wasn't for drinking. I was using it to make home made
Tofu -- which I still do from time to time. The same soy
milk that I make for Tofu can be drunk as soy milk.

The quick recipe is:

Soak beans for 6 hours
Grind beans with a little water in Smoothie Machine till a
fine puree then add more water.
In Microwave heat till just boiling and maintain simmer
for 5 minutes.
Strain okra (solids) from soy milk
Add flavoring and sweetener if desired and store soy milk
in refrigerator.

-----

- Soak beans for 6 hours

I've tried using dry beans but soaking first is preferred.
You don't want to soak for too long and six to eight hours
seems about right. I believe the structure of the bean
begins to change if you soak the beans for double digit
hours. What I like to do is to soak a bunch of beans [Use
ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER - or water at 70F degrees; don't use
hot water] the required time in lots of water, rinse a
couple of times, and store them in small baggies in 1 cup
amounts in the freezer. Then, when I am ready to make a
quart batch I just thaw the beans under running water in a
colander and I am ready to go.

- Grind beans with a little water in Smoothie Machine till
a fine puree then add more water.

I use a Smoothie Maker Machine although a blender will
work as well. Place the beans in with just 1 or 2 Tbs. of
room temperature water and turn the machine on. What you
are trying to do is to make a puree without lumps. If you
add too much water you will probably produce unwanted
chunks. Dribble in additional water very slowly with
machine running -- scraping sides if necessary. Remember,
no chunks. Increase your flow of water till you've added a
little over a quart of water. You don't have to be too
accurate.

You can use a food processor too. But, again, add water in
very little amounts at first and stop to scrape the sides.
You must make sure you have processed enough so that it is
a puree.

- In Microwave heat till just boiling and maintain simmer
for 5 minutes.

I place the liquid in a wide top Pyrex bowl or pitcher of
at least 2 quarts or more of volume and heat the mixture in
a microwave. My microwave has a great temperature probe so
I don't have to watch it. I bring it up to 200 degrees -- I
don't have to worry about it foaming and overflowing. From
this point I continue to microwave causing it to boil. I
watch for the rise in foam -- the bigger the bowl and the
wider the rim the less foaming will take place. If it
starts to foam to the rim of the bowl I stop the microwave
for 5 seconds or so, the foam immediately dissipates, and I
continue to microwave. After 5 minutes of this -- I am done
with this step.

You can use a pot on the stove for this BUT you'll
probably burn the milk and impart the burnt taste to the
milk.

You might try a double boiler, or make one yourself with a
pot with the soy liquid resting in a pot of boiling water
or a glass bowl in a pot of boiling water -- make sure you
have a small grate or lift on the inside bottom of the
large pot so that the inner pot or bowl only sees the hot
water and not the bottom of the hotter pot.

- Strain okara (solids) from soy milk

Filter the okara from the soy milk. You can use cheese
cloth resting in a round colander (but don't -- see my
suggestion). You might try using a metal coffee filter
basket or a yoghurt filter basket. Layers of cheese cloth,
which is normally recommended, tends to clog and is very
difficult to clean. Several layers of "tulle" (bridal veil
material -- use the finest mesh)(available cheaply in
fabric stores) is better.

** FANTASTIC FILTER **
***********************

But strangely the best, and I found this by accident, is a
Japanese shower cloth (Beauty Skin Cloth) named Salux.

SEE A PICTURE OF ONE HERE

http://www.truerenu.com/TR/ProdImages/7012_main.jpg

It is a Winner of the Invention Prize in Japan, unique
patented design and is a light nylon fabric that air dries
quickly and completely.

Prices range from $2 to $4 but some merchants want to
charge more.

You can purchase these in Asian stores and Asian Food
Markets or even on Amazon.com [Go he
http://tinyurl.com/3cb5gb ]

What I do is to cut it length-wise in half and cross the
two sheets in a small colander (rinse the sheets first) and
use that as my filter.

After draining, cross the ends to the center and press
down to remove excess soy milk. Careful, its HOT so use the
bottom of a jar, giant spoon, or bowl to do the pressing
work.

Now, and this is the beauty part, just rinse the two
sheets under a running faucet and the okra washes away
quickly without leaving residue. Squeeze dry and lay out to
air dry and in a couple of minutes you can put them away to
use again and again and again. What a filter.

- Add flavoring and sweetener if desired and store soy
milk in refrigerator.

Many like to add ingredients before refrigerating the soy
milk. A little vanilla flavoring perhaps and some sort of
sweeter -- sugar, Splenda, I use liquid Stevita (a natural
sweetner.)

If you don't know what that is you can read about it here
http://tinyurl.com/356f7m
or here
http://stevitastevia.com/content/blogcategory/27/50/

Some also add a little salt.

COST OF HOME MADE SOY MILK

Some people estimate that it costs about $.10 - .20 per
quart to make soy milk yourself. So at that rate you can
save $3.20 to $3.60 from the price of the future $4.00 gal
of regular milk you were talking about.

WHERE TO BUY YOUR SOY BEANS

Most modern super markets will have packaged dry soy beans
-- but you might do better and cheaper.

Whole Foods Market certainly has them in bulk. So does
MOMs (My Organic Market.) Both of them are probably fresher
and are more suited for making soy milk.

I shopped on the Internet from Chambers Farms/Fairview
Farms for Laura Soybeans.
See: http://www.fairviewfarms.com/laura%20beans.htm

One pound of their soybeans is supposed to make 2 gals of
milk.

They have bulk sales, for example 10 lbs. $8; 20 lbs $14;
etc.

Buying by bulk is much, much cheaper than the grocery
stores.

There are other companies as well -- but I have only used
the one above via the Internet.

---------

That's it, if you have further questions just write me.
If others have some contributions please feel free to
contribute.

Gary Hayman
Greenbelt, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.vegan

"Laurie" > wrote in message

> "M Jones" > wrote in message
>> Does anybody have any idea how best to store freshly cooked lentils and
>> beans for longer periods without damaging the texture / flavour too much?

> Freezing will slow the degradation of flavor from bacterial growth and
> their toxic metabolites quite well, but freeing generally will degrade the
> texture because freezing breaks open cells by the expanding ice crystals.
> Assuming you cook your beans to mush anyway, you should not object to
> this.
>
> Laurie

As the OP is talking about cooked pulses, then toxic metabolites should have
already have broken down if properly cooked. Bacterial growth is of course
slowed by freezing.

Cooking should already have broken cell wall, so subsequent freezing will
have little effect on the resulting texture.

I find that chick-peas, black beans and flageolets cooked and frozen tend to
retain firmness. I'm less successful with butterbeans, but I probably just
over-cook them anyway. In any event, I usually cook a big pan of pulses when
I get around to it, use what I need & freeze the rest - I haven't noticed
any difference between the fresh cooked and frozen ones.

I tend to use them in 2-3 months - no ill effects to date

Bramble-stick

Posted to alt.food.vegan

zydecogary wrote:
> [...]

> -- but you might do better and cheaper.
>

> Whole Foods Market certainly has them in bulk. So does
> MOMs (My Organic Market.) Both of them are probably fresher
> and are more suited for making soy milk.
>

> I shopped on the Internet from Chambers Farms/Fairview
> Farms for Laura Soybeans.
> See: http://www.fairviewfarms.com/laura%20beans.htm
>

> One pound of their soybeans is supposed to make 2 gals of
> milk.
>

> They have bulk sales, for example 10 lbs. $8; 20 lbs $14;
> etc.
>

> Buying by bulk is much, much cheaper than the grocery
> stores.
>

> There are other companies as well -- but I have only used
> the one above via the Internet.
>

> ---------
>

> That's it, if you have further questions just write me.
> If others have some contributions please feel free to

A belated *thank you* to you Gary, your reply was somehow marked as read
for some reason!

I did end up making almond milk, turned out rather well - I don't have
much of a sweet tooth but even so IMO it does need some form of
sweetening, and overall I would say a little bit goes a long way with me
- it is not something I would want to drink every day... but is worth
making a small batch perhaps once a week.

Cheers.

--
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free - Goethe

Marwari Spices and Pulses is a manufacturer of spices used as food flavoring. spicespulses Recipes 0 19-11-2010 04:38 PM
storing Indian spice; storing raw and roasted sesame seeds [email protected] General Cooking 5 10-09-2007 03:53 AM
Storing cooked pulses M Jones Vegetarian cooking 3 28-08-2007 08:44 PM
Storing Steve Daniels Winemaking 13 31-05-2007 03:31 PM
Storing Pu-erh Tom Tea 1 11-01-2004 05:17 AM