Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default repost: Better than Resse's Peanut Butter Squares

"Better Than Reese's" Peanut Butter Squares

this was originally posted here in 2000 by krista

I did a quick cut and paste from the archives

Ingredients:

2 cups crushed rice krispies/ rice bubbles
1.5 cups peanut butter (preferably unsweetened - this recipe
doesn't need any more sugar)
2 cups icing sugar (I'm not sure of regional vegan brands - many
refined sugars are beet sugar, however, which is generally
vegan, so check around)
one half-cup margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla
one half-cup vegan chocolate chips
2 tbsp margarine

Directions:

Combine the first five ingredients well in a large mixing bowl; press
mixture into a 9 X 13" pan.

In a saucepan or double boiler over low heat, melt the last two
ingredients together, stirring often.

Spread Chocolate mixture over peanut butter mixture and set aside for
an hour or two to set (if you can resist for that long!). Ideally,
chill overnight.

These squares are very rich and _very_ addictive! They were a frequent
treat at home when I was growing up, and are one of my only childhood
favourites I've been able to carry with me into veganhood. Yum!

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Nutritional information: Appallingly high in fat and calories. Sorry
'bout
that!