Old 12-07-2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default What have you been drinking lately?

OK, things have been a little quiet 'round here and probably to the
dismay of many I always like to throw out a lighter topic or two that
anyone can chime in on. So, what has been in your cup lately?

I've been enjoying some Sencha, Young Hyson, Jasmine Oolong, White
Crane Pu-Erh, and some Lipton Green Label DJ.

- Dominic
Currently Drinking: Sencha (that I picked up for only $6/lb. from
Presto George in Pittsburgh, very good stuff at a super low price)

Old 12-07-2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[Dominic]
So, what has been in your cup lately?

I've been enjoying some Sencha, Young Hyson, Jasmine Oolong, White
Crane Pu-Erh, and some Lipton Green Label DJ.

- Dominic
Currently Drinking: Sencha (that I picked up for only $6/lb. from
Presto George in Pittsburgh, very good stuff at a super low price)

[Michael]
Oriental beauty earlier this morning,
Gold Bud Bingcha (Menghai factory)
2004 this afternoon.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic T. wrote:
OK, things have been a little quiet 'round here and probably to the
dismay of many I always like to throw out a lighter topic or two that
anyone can chime in on. So, what has been in your cup lately?

Within the last week I have enjoyed:

Spring '06 Shizuoka Shincha
Hisashi Matcha
1966 Hunan Heicha
1970s Grand Yellow Label
2005 Double-Happiness Hao (green puerh)
A *VERY* tasty shu pu of unknown pedigree,
alleged to be 1970s but I sincerely doubt it.
And some Yunnan Gold (red tea)

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Old 12-07-2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I normally rotate all the teas I have, so: Darjeeling Puttabong 1st
Flush, Golden Monkey, Golden Needle, Green Mate, Ooooh Darjeeling, Pi
Lo Chun Select, and Wen Shan Bao Zhong. I've been a little
dissapointed with the Puttabong, which I got a month or two ago.
I'm also a little dissapointed with the Bao Zhong, which I just
receieved. Not as flavorful as the Bao Zhong I've had before, with
almost no flavor on the second infusion. I just finished a Tung Ting
Jade Oolong which was delicious. Fortunately I have some Bao Zhong and
2nd Flush Darjeeling on the way that promises to be better than my
recent tea experiences.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

xDustinx wrote:
I normally rotate all the teas I have, so: Darjeeling Puttabong 1st
Flush, Golden Monkey, Golden Needle, Green Mate, Ooooh Darjeeling, Pi
Lo Chun Select, and Wen Shan Bao Zhong. I've been a little
dissapointed with the Puttabong, which I got a month or two ago.
I'm also a little dissapointed with the Bao Zhong, which I just
receieved. Not as flavorful as the Bao Zhong I've had before, with
almost no flavor on the second infusion. I just finished a Tung Ting
Jade Oolong which was delicious. Fortunately I have some Bao Zhong and
2nd Flush Darjeeling on the way that promises to be better than my
recent tea experiences.

I have been trying to improve my technique with lightly roasted Anxi
and Taiwanese oolongs, and finding a lot to like about the Taiwanese
ones (which I get from Hou De, mostly). I also recently branched out
into pu'er in a big way, and I'm participating in a tasting of Wuyi
yancha too, which I'm only about halfway through. The tasting has been
a real education. I asked my coffee-drinking philistine wife to help
me with it and to my delight she's really gotten into it.

One thing about the Anxi oolongs. I bought all of them (I have
probably six or seven different sorts, in varying quantities) in
wholesale markets in China. I love the taste, but compared to Formosa
tea, the leaves just look like crap when unfolded, all chewed up. I
don't know if this is a grade thing or a result of machine harvesting,
and it would be great if someone can fill me in.

So: does anyone have a recommendation for a truly high-grade
tieguanyin, that is made to the same standards as Taiwanese gaoshancha?
Available online please.

Dom thanks for starting this thread. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

Also I'd like to thank Mike Petro publicly for his incredible website.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've been finishing up Upton packets as cold brew tea. English
Breakfast Blend, River Shannon Blend, Heirloom Tea Flowers, none of
which I recommend either hot or iced. Also I finished up Zhena's Gypsy
Love teabags, which is better cold than hot. Organic and fair trade
though, which is not enough reason to rebuy. Toci

Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've been alternating between Adagio's fruit sangria herbal (not available
on the website, only available in some stores on the east coasts. Sucks cuz
I"m i Utah. Once I'm out, I"m out!), an herbal blend I've made myself with
chamomile, mint, catnip, lemongrass, and a dash of valarian when I'm trying
to sleep, and finaly RoT's golden yunnan.
Oh yeah...and a 50/50 blend of dark roasted coffee and chicorie root...mmmmm
mud.
Marlene

Old 12-07-2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Marlene Wood wrote:
I've been alternating between Adagio's fruit sangria herbal (not available
on the website, only available in some stores on the east coasts. Sucks cuz
I"m i Utah. Once I'm out, I"m out!), an herbal blend I've made myself with
chamomile, mint, catnip, lemongrass, and a dash of valarian when I'm trying
to sleep, and finaly RoT's golden yunnan.
Oh yeah...and a 50/50 blend of dark roasted coffee and chicorie root...mmmmm
mud.
Marlene

Hey Marlene, I just bought some chicory from a local coffee roaster and
I can't make a good drink from it to save my life. The instructions say
1 tbls. per cup, but that seems mighty excessive, I cut it down to
about the amount I would use for a regular pot of coffee and it was
still pretty bitter and not so good. I will try cutting it with some
regular coffee like you say, but at what ratio and how much?

- Dominic

Old 12-07-2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

For evening, I've been alternating between chocolate mint rooibos,
raspberry, ginger, and licorice tisanes. I did a ginger-licorice
mixture which is good, also. Toci

Old 13-07-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've been trying to consume the bulk of my perishable tea stash before
I go abroad in a few months, so lately i've been drinking my xi hu long
jing, jasmine pearls, high mountain Chinese TGY. Also, with the
http://puerh_tea.livejournal.com tasteoff going on, and a backlog of
non-tasteoff samples, I've been drinking lots of younger sheng pu'er.

Last night I drank Xizhihao Lao Banzhang. Today I drank a high fire
shui xian and jasmine pearls. Tonight...Xizhihao Youle?

~bears³

Old 13-07-2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic T. wrote:

So, what has been in your cup lately?

* Assam Dhelekat TGFOP (yum yum yum; nearly finished and looking
forward to trying another Assam)

* Ceylon Battalgalla OP (good start to the day)

* Prince of Wales (my guilty pleasure; nearly finished and looking
forward to trying some Keemun)

* Gyokoru (also nearly finished; will probably replace with a cheaper,
but above average, sencha)

When I say "nearly finished", I mean the tin is nearly empty and I'm
thinking ahead to what I'll put in it next.

Cheers,
Gavin

Old 13-07-2006, 10:25 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Anxi Oolongs/finishes [was:What have you been drinking lately?]

snip snip

[Alex]
One thing about the Anxi oolongs. I bought all of them (I have
probably six or seven different sorts, in varying quantities) in
wholesale markets in China. I love the taste, but compared to Formosa
tea, the leaves just look like crap when unfolded, all chewed up. I
don't know if this is a grade thing or a result of machine harvesting,
and it would be great if someone can fill me in.

[Michael]
Can't really answer that except to say that a couple
days ago we were bemarking on the same thing. The
Taiwan leaves are really robust and most likely more
impervious to harm. I don't think the battering the
edges of Anxi leaves take is indicative of machining;
it could even be the other way round.

[Alex]
So: does anyone have a recommendation for a truly high-grade
tieguanyin, that is made to the same standards as Taiwanese gaoshancha?
Available online please.

[Michael]
That last line of yours threw me as I was about to recommend
Silk Road Teas TGY No. 37, one of my personal favorites;
but alas, while their catalog (for what it's worth) is on line,
their business with you will be by phone and snail mail. I
get my TGY's locally (NYC), depending on those who hop
back and forth between China and the USA. (What a
worthless paragraph this turned out to be.)

But, on the
subject, what experiences are out there with *long* and
*complex* aftertastes and finishes on TGY and other
treasures of Anxi? For to me, finish and aftertaste are
necessary conditions, nearly sufficient, for fine and great
Oolong.

Best,
Michael

Old 13-07-2006, 12:18 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm guessing that Shizuoka Shincha was from Ito En, I'm still bummed I
never got a chance to find it on my trip. Thanks for the painful
reminder How's about maybe a real short description of that Shincha?
I found that I can order it online from them, but I was a little afraid
of it being old already.

Actually I got it from http://www.chajin.co.jp , I have been doing
business with Ken for 2 years now and he has always treated me fair.
They have one helluva selection of kyusu tea pots as well.
http://www.chajin.co.jp/catalog/chaki/index.html See mine here, is was
less than $15. http://www.pu-erh.net/toolfull.php?Tool=4
http://www.pu-erh.net/toolfull.php?Tool=5

It is the first one the second row of this page
http://www.chajin.co.jp/catalog/chab...cha/index.html.
It has an overall vegetal flavor reminiscent of raw pea or raw
asparagus. Mellow, sweet, and somewhat grasslike as well. Easily
oversteeped so you have to pay attention to it. The Shizouka Shincha
was harvested late May/early June. When I received it in June I
repackaged into nitrogen sparged 20g bags (enough for a weekend) which
I keep in the refrigerator.( See
http://www.pu-erh.net/static.php?StaticID=12 )This preserves the
freshness extremely well.

Also, I'm not real heavy into Matcha's, but I've never heard of
Hisashi... can you offer any info on that one? Does it produce a
stronger cup (koicha) or weaker (usucha)?

Sorry, I got that translation wrong, my bad . It was actually Chouan
matcha by Marukyu Koyamaen. The Marukyu Koyamaen house is the middle
house on this page http://www.chajin.co.jp/category/maccha/index.html
the Chouan is the second best in their line. It is of the koicha
(thick) style.

--
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
Old 13-07-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic, thanks muchly for starting the thread. Exactly as you say, it
is a great benefit to get some inspiration from owners of some of the
well-tuned palates that write here. (The owners, that is, and not
their palates. Although I suppose it is possible to write with one's
palate. Perhaps.)

I've been drinking my last batch from a recent trip to Sichuan. It's
dropping at an alarming rate, and I'm getting concerned about being
able to find replacements when it's gone!

Favourites these last few days:

Maofeng of unknown Sichuan leaf, very vivid and fresh
A very friendly formosa wulong
1999 "Yank Kang" mystery bing (see the Pu'erh LiveJournal)
A decent xinyang maojian (average grade, but very pleasing nonetheless)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes