Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default RIP my gaiwan

I just fumbled while filling my gaiwan up with some jinxuan oolong and
split the bowl right down the middle. I have another one, but not at
my office, so it's going to be an yixing day, which means no puer in
the afternoon, because the yixing pot I have here is just for light
oolongs ... poor me.

Does anyone know where to get a cheap fine porcelain gaiwan in NYC,
even better in Midtown? The ones I've seen on the internet are often
laughably expensive and I really just need something light and inert
anyway, not with dragons on the side or anything.

thanks

Alex

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Alex" > writes:

> [...too sorrowful to quote...]
>
> Does anyone know where to get a cheap fine porcelain gaiwan in NYC,
> even better in Midtown? The ones I've seen on the internet are often
> laughably expensive and I really just need something light and inert
> anyway, not with dragons on the side or anything.

The short answer is no, at least for me.

You can get a fine porcelain gaiwan at The Tea Gallery, 131 Allen St.,
but not cheaply. There are heavy stoneware gaiwans for maybe $4 at
Kam Man on Canal St. between Mulberry and Mott. There are workhorse -
but not heavy - glass gaiwans at Ten Ren on Mott St. that work very
well for me for $15; I use one all day long at work.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> You can get a fine porcelain gaiwan at The Tea Gallery, 131 Allen St.,
> but not cheaply. There are heavy stoneware gaiwans for maybe $4 at
> Kam Man on Canal St. between Mulberry and Mott. There are workhorse -
> but not heavy - glass gaiwans at Ten Ren on Mott St. that work very
> well for me for $15; I use one all day long at work.

Thanks Lew. I'll probably go with the glass, as much as I don't really
care to give Ten Ren any business.

It's really a shame, because this one was free with some TGY I bought
in Beijing last year, and had the wholesaler's name and address on it.
I was quite attached.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Alex" > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> > You can get a fine porcelain gaiwan at The Tea Gallery, 131 Allen St.,
> > but not cheaply. There are heavy stoneware gaiwans for maybe $4 at
> > Kam Man on Canal St. between Mulberry and Mott. There are workhorse -
> > but not heavy - glass gaiwans at Ten Ren on Mott St. that work very
> > well for me for $15; I use one all day long at work.

> Thanks Lew. I'll probably go with the glass, as much as I don't really
> care to give Ten Ren any business.

Well, they didn't manufacture it, if it's any consolation. And one
important note I forgot: there are 2 sizes, 4-oz and 6-oz, and the
6-oz is *much* better because its knob is solid and won't get
intolerably hot.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin + Alex:
>>Does anyone know where to get a cheap fine porcelain gaiwan in NYC,

> There are workhorse -
> but not heavy - glass gaiwans at Ten Ren

If you want to support enthusiasts and don't mind going mail-order, I've
bought a bunch of delicate porcelain and practical glass gaiwans from
MyFineTea.com (no commercial connection except as customer etc.).
Although I prefer porcelain on aesthetic principle, I have become
completely habituated to glass gaiwans and use one daily.

-DM

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Does anyone know where to get a cheap fine porcelain gaiwan in NYC,
> even better in Midtown? The ones I've seen on the internet are often
> laughably expensive and I really just need something light and inert
> anyway, not with dragons on the side or anything.

Too bad you're not around here. I could pick you up one for like a
buck that would work as well as the ones for 15 bucks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis - where did you see the 6 oz gaiwans? All I can find are the 4oz.
I'm looking on-line as opposed to in person; which site has the 6oz glass?

Joshua
In a previous article, Lewis Perin sent out:
>Well, they didn't manufacture it, if it's any consolation. And one
>important note I forgot: there are 2 sizes, 4-oz and 6-oz, and the
>6-oz is *much* better because its knob is solid and won't get
>intolerably hot.
>
>/Lew
>---
>Lew Perin /

Joshua C. Sasmor - Pipe-smoker, teacher and mathematician
Home page: http://www.math.pitt.edu/~jcsst18/
Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth but supreme beauty.
- BERTRAND RUSSELL
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Mydnight wrote:
> Too bad you're not around here. I could pick you up one for like a
> buck that would work as well as the ones for 15 bucks.

I know, and it kills me. Every time I buy something in the US I think
"this costs ten times what it does in China." Particularly tea stuff,
and particularly, it seems, high-end yixing. I have to find time to
make another trip.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> I know, and it kills me. Every time I buy something in the US I think
> "this costs ten times what it does in China." Particularly tea stuff,
> and particularly, it seems, high-end yixing. I have to find time to
> make another trip.

If you find the time, contact me. I'll take you to the market and show
you how the business is done. You'd be surprised.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It is said that smashing your gaiwan is good fortune, as it takes away
your bad luck, so hang in there.

I know the pain of buying inferior goods at an inflated price compared
to the Chinese market. Here in England, prices are inordinate, and not
many people are into "real" Chinese teas (don't kill me, fellow
English), let alone finding a good zisha hu. Our most delicious,
sumptuous, lust-inducing teapot cost less in Chengdu than a
bottom-of-the-range factory version here in the UK. Somebody,
somewhere, is getting very, very wealthy on importing this stuff.

On replacing the gaiwan, there are a surprising number of good, simple
white porcelain numbers available from online sellers. I'll try and
dig up one that was recently recommended to me.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I love Chinese superstition, it's very comforting. For example, when
you smash your gaiwan.

Regarding Internet-purchasable porcelains, I can recommend:

http://funalliance.com/tea/gaiwan.htm

The quality and price are very reasonable, and the response of the firm
is good. Though they are decorative (and not too showy while they're
at it), they do allow the colour of the soup to be appreciated. The
gentleman that writes on the site (from Hong Kong, I believe) is also
rather witty, and makes me chuckle aloud.

If you're in the UK, I can recommend:

http://www.jcm.co.uk/catalogue.php?c...=0-197-430-432

I have some pure white gaiwan from here which are very satisfactory.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

is a gaiwan worth it Zarky Zork Tea 31 13-10-2006 04:37 PM
gaiwan use Darawen Littlestich Tea 38 21-09-2006 05:53 PM
Gaibei vs. Gaiwan Melinda Tea 13 08-12-2004 02:48 PM
BEST TEA FOR ZHONG (GAIWAN)??? Raicu Tea 2 09-02-2004 12:52 PM
BEST TEA FOR ZHONG (GAIWAN)??? Raicu Tea 0 31-01-2004 02:17 AM