Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default compressed tea in chinese

hola,

i've been for some time wandering around chinese food stores in madrid
searching for chinese teas, compressed ones, and classes about tea. i
gave up on this last thing at the moment, and for the teas, decided to
go with a written puercha letters in chinese [普洱茶], also with any
luck. so, didn't even think about asking for compressed.

anyway, for the compressed teas, is there any character [or
characters] for compressed tea in general in chinese?

babelfish says:
浓缩茶 for the simplified
濃縮茶 for the traditional

is it correct? would they understand me?

regards from madrid, spain
bonifacio barrio hijosa
http://worldoftea.webcindario.com
... site in progress

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Use http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html for Chinese tea terms.
Puer can also be thought of in architectural terms. Look up the
character for cake, brick, or bowl. Also the wellknown factories
Menghai or Xiaguan. The Chinese characters for Chi Tse or Qi Zi
usually refer to the cake stacked in bundles. I think you are better
off knowing what to look for than asking someone in the Chinese.

Jim

bbh2o wrote:
> hola,
>
> i've been for some time wandering around chinese food stores in madrid
> searching for chinese teas, compressed ones, and classes about tea. i
> gave up on this last thing at the moment, and for the teas, decided to
> go with a written puercha letters in chinese [普洱茶], also with any
> luck. so, didn't even think about asking for compressed.
>
> anyway, for the compressed teas, is there any character [or
> characters] for compressed tea in general in chinese?
>
> babelfish says:
> 浓缩茶 for the simplified
> 濃縮茶 for the traditional
>
> is it correct? would they understand me?
>
> regards from madrid, spain
> bonifacio barrio hijosa
> http://worldoftea.webcindario.com
> ... site in progress

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"bbh2o" > writes:

> hola,
>
> i've been for some time wandering around chinese food stores in
> madrid searching for chinese teas, compressed ones, and classes
> about tea. i gave up on this last thing at the moment, and for the
> teas, decided to go with a written puercha letters in chinese
> [普洱茶], also with any luck. so,
> didn't even think about asking for compressed.
>
> anyway, for the compressed teas, is there any character [or
> characters] for compressed tea in general in chinese?

Do you really want compressed tea no matter what kind (green,
black/red, or Pu'er), or do you want compressed Pu'er?

> babelfish says:
> 浓缩茶 for the simplified
> 濃縮茶 for the traditional
>
> is it correct? would they understand me?

I think that will be more likely to get you concentrated tea drinks.
If you found that Chinese phrase by typing English (or Spanish?) into
Babelfish, you can't really expect idiomatic Chinese.

If you want the Chinese for common forms of compressed Pu'er, you
could type them into Babelcarp. Try tuocha, bingcha, and fangcha.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> Use http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html for Chinese tea
> terms. Puer can also be thought of in architectural terms. Look up
> the character for cake, brick, or bowl.

Thanks for the plug, Jim, but the original poster should be warned
that English words like cake, brick, or bowl aren't defined in
Babelcarp; their Chinese equivalents are.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Well, change it ;-). Anyone could as well use Zhongwen for the Pinyin
or English but how many characters would you get for cake,brick,bowl
not related to Puer?

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > writes:
>
> > Use http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html for Chinese tea
> > terms. Puer can also be thought of in architectural terms. Look up
> > the character for cake, brick, or bowl.

> Thanks for the plug, Jim, but the original poster should be warned
> that English words like cake, brick, or bowl aren't defined in
> Babelcarp; their Chinese equivalents are.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Try http://www.pu-erh.net/cheatsheet.php for a list of terms
specifically related to Puerh in both Chinese and English. It might
serve your needs. Several people have printed it and taken it to China,
they were able to successfully communicate with Vendors by using it.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thanks a lot Mike, I´ll definetely print it out and take it to China
the next time around.
Two terms I´m missing (used them a lot in China) a sample (hehe)
and good/best quality (available).
Mind adding them ?

Karsten

Mike Petro schrieb:

> Try http://www.pu-erh.net/cheatsheet.php for a list of terms
> specifically related to Puerh in both Chinese and English. It might
> serve your needs. Several people have printed it and taken it to China,
> they were able to successfully communicate with Vendors by using it.
>
> Mike
> http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

China uses tea grades:
¼‰T ¼¶S ji2 grade
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=7D1A
¼× jia3 first
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=7532
ÒÒ yi3 second
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=4E59
ÌØ te4 special
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=7279

Sample is different for amount or taste. I dug around for these two so
Danny let me know if there is something better when refering to samples
of tea.

˜Ó pin3 is a sample amount.
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=6A23
Æ· yang4 is a taste sample.
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=54C1

There are qualitative terms for puer such as GongTing,NuEr,TouDeng
which indicate better grade of leaves.

Jim

wrote:
> Thanks a lot Mike, I¡äll definetely print it out and take it to China
> the next time around.
> Two terms I¡äm missing (used them a lot in China) a sample (hehe)
> and good/best quality (available).
> Mind adding them ?
>
> Karsten
>

> Mike Petro schrieb:
>
> > Try
http://www.pu-erh.net/cheatsheet.php for a list of terms
> > specifically related to Puerh in both Chinese and English. It might
> > serve your needs. Several people have printed it and taken it to China,
> > they were able to successfully communicate with Vendors by using it.
> >
> > Mike
> > http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Oops for those keeping score everything is correct but swap the PinYin
terms:

yang4 is a sample amount.
pin3 is a taste sample.

Sorry,
Jim

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Sample is different for amount or taste. I dug around for these two so
> Danny let me know if there is something better when refering to samples
> of tea.
>
> ˜Ó pin3 is a sample amount.
> http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=6A23
> Æ· yang4 is a taste sample.
> http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=54C1

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> anyway, for the compressed teas, is there any character [or
> characters] for compressed tea in general in chinese?

Yes, there are words to mean compressed tea in Chinese. But the
translation below is incorrect. I wouldn't trust bablefish or any
online translator. They all give really muddled results.

> babelfish says:
> 浓缩茶 for the simplified
> 濃縮茶 for the traditional
>
> is it correct? would they understand me?

This actually means "concentrated tea" or "condensed tea".

For compressed tea, you want these characters:
紧压茶

In Pinyin it's jin ya cha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

hola,

> Do you really want compressed tea no matter what kind (green,

black/red, or Pu'er), or do you want compressed Pu'er?

> I think that will be more likely to get you concentrated tea drinks.
> If you found that Chinese phrase by typing English (or Spanish?) into
> Babelfish, you can't really expect idiomatic Chinese.
>
> If you want the Chinese for common forms of compressed Pu'er, you
> could type them into Babelcarp. Try tuocha, bingcha, and fangcha.

yes, i know translators are only a way to remember things you
previously know, and to guess something if you don't absolutely have a
clue, sometimes is a bit useful, but language is a bit more complex and
rich than only few words put together [anyone could notice sometimes i
am translating -mentally, but translating- from spanish ]

and chinese must be more complex even!

so, i was asking here, because although babelcarp is a incredible tool
for introducing in chinese tea world, doesn't translate from english
[nothign to say about that, it's your site, you decide the contents],
so i didn't use it, i couldn't use if i even don't know what is bingcha
. well, i must know for the many times these words are mentioned
here, but i think having a table like mike petro did at hand is
something i must do

and as i dont't know any of these compressed teas, any of them puer or
not will do, at least as a contact. first step will be ask for any
compressed tea, and then ask which are they, but i only find jasmine
teas in all kind of tins, gunpowder, ti kuan yin, and a puer tuocha in
bags at 1 euro,
(http://worldoftea.webcindario.com/im...p?pic=2&id=tea) that
bought to compare to the puer i use to have from bomec... and i can
only say they are differents... maybe i like them all, or i don't have
trained my taste too much to appreciate the quality of a puer

anyway, thanks all a lot for all the knowledge shown here )

regards from madrid,
bonifacio barrio hijosa
http://worldoftea.webcindario.com/
....site in progress

Compressed Yeast Farm1[_4_] General Cooking 50 20-07-2012 07:09 AM
compressed nitrogen Nonny Barbecue 20 10-03-2010 08:06 PM
Compressed Strawberries Julia Altshuler General Cooking 2 22-07-2008 12:15 AM
Loose and compressed pu Space Cowboy Tea 2 21-06-2005 02:09 PM
tibetan compressed tea Ben Snyder Tea 4 25-12-2003 09:03 AM