Space Cowboy

Default Loose and compressed pu

I've been trying various kinds of loose pu'rh and comparing them to the
compressed form. So far I can conveniently only find the cooked in
loose form. I have a loose uncooked style on order. I know the loose
cooked pu'rh is 'graded' and I've tried Grade A and B and a 'Tribute'
version. To sum it up I'd call the compressed style 'strong' and the
loose 'mild' just for a comparison reference. Now I wondering if the
the loose is processed the same way as the compressed? I don't see
what could account for the difference in taste if it is. Actually the
loose ripe Yunnan versions reminds me more of a LiuAn in that they're
milder and more forgiving. If you don't like the ripe compressed style
you might like the loose style.

Jim

Member

Location: Zhuhai, GuangDong Province, PRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy
I've been trying various kinds of loose pu'rh and comparing them to the
compressed form. So far I can conveniently only find the cooked in
loose form. I have a loose uncooked style on order. I know the loose
cooked pu'rh is 'graded' and I've tried Grade A and B and a 'Tribute'
version. To sum it up I'd call the compressed style 'strong' and the
loose 'mild' just for a comparison reference. Now I wondering if the
the loose is processed the same way as the compressed? I don't see
what could account for the difference in taste if it is. Actually the
loose ripe Yunnan versions reminds me more of a LiuAn in that they're
milder and more forgiving. If you don't like the ripe compressed style
you might like the loose style.

Jim

Hi Jim,
I think a really good answer to your question is going to be hard to come by. I don't know who you buy from or what criteria you use to order so all I can really do is give some insight on my buying experience, which probably proceeds dramatically and differently from yours, but might help some.

I know that you probably can't taste your teas before you buy and don't have a huge selection locally to choose from. My situation is exactly the opposite so maybe a comparison will help a bit indirectly.

I have had no real experience with any significant difference in the strength of loose vs compressed cakes or bricks. Some are mild and some are strong on both. The significant differences seem to be generally related to fermented vs unfermented, age, and regarding loose in blends.

Of course here I don't worry about grades and such because it is always tried before bought, so I have no experience to give an opinion on. Truthfully I think the way your supplier presents, buys, and sells his teas probably has more to do with your current experience than the overall state of these things. I wish you guys could taste your tea before you buy it. I'm sure you would drink (if not buy) a lot more tea.

I know its an indirect light, but maybe it helps a little.

Best regards..... Renny
Space Cowboy

I order my compressed Pu directly from several dealers in China. I get
samples of loose graded Pu. I buy several brands of Yunnan loose pu
directly off the shelf in Chinatown. I just find it curious that the
'strongest' black/cooked loose doesn't match the 'weakest' compressed.
That's my impression so far. The compressed green and black taste
relatively the same and the loose ditto but different with each other.
Maybe it just the sampling. I like the black/cooked Grade A loose much
better than anything in compressed. Loose green/uncooked doesn't seem
to be that common but I have some coming in. The green fermented LiuAn
is a distinct style which has been previously discussed.

Jim

Renny wrote:
> Space Cowboy Wrote:
> > I've been trying various kinds of loose pu'rh and comparing them to the
> > compressed form.

....I delete me...
....I delete you...
> I have had no real experience with any significant difference in the
> strength of loose vs compressed cakes or bricks. Some are mild and
> some are strong on both. The significant differences seem to be
> generally related to fermented vs unfermented, age, and regarding loose
> in blends.

Compressed Yeast Farm1[_4_] General Cooking 50 20-07-2012 07:09 AM
compressed nitrogen Nonny Barbecue 20 10-03-2010 08:06 PM
Compressed Strawberries Julia Altshuler General Cooking 2 22-07-2008 12:15 AM
compressed tea in chinese bbh2o Tea 12 15-05-2006 03:35 PM
tibetan compressed tea Ben Snyder Tea 4 25-12-2003 09:03 AM