Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Red Rose Tea

I have enjoyed Red Rose Tea for practically my entire life, but lately
it doesn't seem to have any flavor at all. I thought I must have
gotten a bad batch, so I picked up another package at a different store
and it is equally tasteless. My water is not the issue and nothing
has changed about how I brew my tea. I am a bit upset for nostalgic
reasons; I have many fond memories of my grandparents enjoying Red Rose
when I was a child. They must have changed the type of tea they are
using or something. Has anyone else noticed this and can anyone
suggest a suitable replacement -- preferably something that is widely
available throughout the Mid-Atlantic states.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi Betty,
how about blending your own rose tea ?
Just get some dried rose buds and blossoms (pesticide free as opposed
to many ready-mades) or better collect them yourself, dry and mix them
with a tea of your choice and enjoy !
In some of the readily available rose teas the buds have been already
mixed in during the final manufacturing steps (firing, ...) and/or
synthetic (yuck) rose oil has been added but I'd just give it a try,
did it myself some years ago (buds from the garden + Keemun) and liked
it a lot.

Just my 2ct,
Karsten / Darjeeling (back to the hotel and a pot of Thurbo 2nd DJ)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi, Karsten.

Thanks for your reply, but Red Rose is a brand name; there aren't
actually any roses in it, just black tea.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Betty.

I have noticed pretty much the same thing about Red Rose tea.
Right now I am drinking Tetley British Blend (with lemon and sugar) when
I am not drinking the good Chinese tea. I consider tea with lemon and sugar
a "comfort food" even though Swee-Touch-Nee tea was all I ever has for
years.

WEL

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

lubarsky wrote:
> Betty.
>
> I have noticed pretty much the same thing about Red Rose tea.
> Right now I am drinking Tetley British Blend (with lemon and sugar) when
> I am not drinking the good Chinese tea. I consider tea with lemon and sugar
> a "comfort food" even though Swee-Touch-Nee tea was all I ever has for
> years.
>
> WEL

I've had the same experience with Red Rose. I thought it was just me.
I drank it for years, because it always made a strong, flavorful cup.
But lately it does seem to be pretty lifeless. I agree with you about
Tetley British Blend. I stocked up on it the last time my local
supermarket had it on sale. I don't like it as much as the Indian teas
like Taj Mahal, but it is ideal for brewing a single cup - not too
strong, not too weak. Lately this is what I've been drinking all the
time at work.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Pat" > wrote in
oups.com:

> lubarsky wrote:
> I've had the same experience with Red Rose. I thought it was just me.
> I drank it for years, because it always made a strong, flavorful cup.
> But lately it does seem to be pretty lifeless. I agree with you about
> Tetley British Blend. I stocked up on it the last time my local
> supermarket had it on sale. I don't like it as much as the Indian teas
> like Taj Mahal, but it is ideal for brewing a single cup - not too
> strong, not too weak. Lately this is what I've been drinking all the
> time at work.

Hi Betty,

Have you ever thought about trying the Taj Mahal that Pat mentions? It's
strong & flavorful (maybe too much for some American tastes), and available in
the Middle Atlantic states (at many Indian/Pakistani markets and some Russian
ones -- of course if you can't get to any of these ethnic sources
conveniently, the point is moot.) Goes well with milk & sugar or honey, and
accepts chai spices gratefully :-) . If you do elect to try it, use a large
cup to brew it so as to make the taste a little less strong -- there is a lot
of Asssam tea in each bag.

Ozzy
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Betty wrote:
> Hi, Karsten.
> Thanks for your reply, but Red Rose is a brand name; there aren't
> actually any roses in it, just black tea.

Mpfhh, guessing too loud again ...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ozzy wrote:

> Hi Betty,
>
> Have you ever thought about trying the Taj Mahal that Pat mentions?

I have never heard of it before. There is an Indian market nearby. I
will check and see if they have it and give it a try. Will also try
Tetley British Blend - I know for sure I can get that. I never tried
it because I don't care for the regular Tetley much, but maybe this
will be better. We'll see which one I like better. I am still a
little sad about ending my "relationship" with Red Rose. As I
mentioned before, I have strong emotional ties to this brand and it is
like saying goodbye to an old friend. But I guess it is time to move
on. Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Betty wrote:
> As I
> mentioned before, I have strong emotional ties to this brand and it is
> like saying goodbye to an old friend. But I guess it is time to move
> on. Thanks for your help.

Pretty soon you will be glad to end that relationship, Taj Mahal,
Lipton yellow label, PG Tips, Typhoo, Twinnings, Tazo, or even Republic
of Tea are all great leaps in quality from Red Rose. Even so, these
teas that I've listed are still just the bottom rung in quality of
tea... and a great start into appreciating a little better tea. All of
the teas that I listed are also fairly redily available.

You'll never look back.

- Dominic
Drinking: "Beauty" oolong

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic T. wrote:
, Taj Mahal,
> Lipton yellow label, PG Tips, Typhoo, Twinnings, Tazo, or even Republic
> of Tea are all great leaps in quality from Red Rose. Even so, these
> teas that I've listed are still just the bottom rung in quality of
> tea... and a great start into appreciating a little better tea.

Dominic,

How would you rank the teas that you mentioned? Do you consider them
all to be more or less equal in quality?

Personally, I would rank Taj Mahal, Lipton Yellow Label, PG Tips and
Typhoo as more or less equal in quality - and would recommend the Taj
Mahal and Lipton over PG and Typhoo for those in the US, simply because
they are much cheaper.

Twinings, Tazo, and RoT are generally considered to be higher quality
than the others you mentioned, although this, like everything in tea,
is open to debate. Twinings is the only one I would bother with out of
these three. Tazo and RoT are outrageously overpriced, IMO. And while
RoT does have a lot of limited edition teas, I think most of their
blends fall into the mass-market category, though they would never
admit that. Granted, they do use whole and broken leaves as opposed to
CTC. But most of their selections are fruit-flavored, which I don't
like. Their British Breakfast and Earl Greyer are good, but not worth
the money they are asking for them. They don't taste any better to me
than Twinings does.

Just wondering what your thoughts were.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> wrote:
>how about blending your own rose tea ?
>Just get some dried rose buds and blossoms (pesticide free as opposed
>to many ready-mades) or better collect them yourself, dry and mix them
>with a tea of your choice and enjoy !

Red Rose isn't actually a rose tea. It's a low-grade CTC, probably mostly
low-altitude Ceylon teas in the blend. Mostly sold for iced tea use in
the US. It's very light, about as much as Lipton's but without quite as
much of the bitterness up front.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Pat wrote:
> Dominic T. wrote:
> , Taj Mahal,
> > Lipton yellow label, PG Tips, Typhoo, Twinnings, Tazo, or even Republic
> > of Tea are all great leaps in quality from Red Rose. Even so, these
> > teas that I've listed are still just the bottom rung in quality of
> > tea... and a great start into appreciating a little better tea.

> Dominic,
>
> How would you rank the teas that you mentioned? Do you consider them
> all to be more or less equal in quality?

Well I pretty much agree with you, except that the average US tastes
tend to not like Taj Mahal at first... it is a little different than
what they are used to if they only drink Lipton/Red Rose/Tetly/etc. So
me personally I would say my ranking goes: Taj Mahal, PG Tips, Republic
of Tea, Lipton Yellow label, Tazo, Typhoo, then Twinnings. But I think
for the OP and most American tastes it would go: PG Tips, Lipton Yellow
Label, Tazo, Republic of tea, Twinnings, and Typhoo.

I think Republic of Tea can be pretty decent and while high priced is
as close as many Americans get to quality tea and one of the few teabag
teas I can palate without anything added like sugar or honey on its own
merit as I do with my loose teas. I find Tazo to be basically junk. I'm
also no Twinnings fan, and people in my office didn't like my Typhoo,
but they all love PG Tips, and they are straight teabag squeezing US
Lipton drinkers.

- Dominic
Drinking: PG Tips w/honey (sore throat)