Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Justin Holmes

Default Water Temp

Pardon me if this has been done to death but...

I use a coffee maker to heat the water in my office for tea. I'm
guessing that the output is somewhere in the 180 range. To this point,
it hasn't bothered me any, and I have steeped darjeeling (of unknown
origin), Lapsang Souchong, Pu-Erh, gunpowder (temple of heaven), and
assam, all with favorable results (these are all from a local co-op
that has a good selection of bulks). Today, I got an order from Upton
and the first two teas (almond flavored black and Melange Noelle) were
kind of disappointing. I know the water temp is below the reccomended
212, but this hasn't been a problem with other blends. Is it just that
these two blends "aren't my cup of tea" (bad pun,but real possibility)
or do they really need the higher temp? Would I get more enjoyment out
of everything if steeped hotter?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Klaus Alexander Seistrup

Justin Holmes wrote:

> Would I get more enjoyment out of everything if steeped hotter?

What is easier than trying?

Cheers,

--
Klaus Alexander Seistrup
PNX · http://pnx.dk/
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant

Justin 12/14/05

> Pardon me if this has been done to death but...
>
> I use a coffee maker to heat the water in my office for tea. I'm
> guessing that the output is somewhere in the 180 range. To this point,
> it hasn't bothered me any, and I have steeped darjeeling (of unknown
> origin), Lapsang Souchong, Pu-Erh, gunpowder (temple of heaven), and
> assam, all with favorable results (these are all from a local co-op
> that has a good selection of bulks). Today, I got an order from Upton
> and the first two teas (almond flavored black and Melange Noelle) were
> kind of disappointing. I know the water temp is below the reccomended
> 212, but this hasn't been a problem with other blends. Is it just that
> these two blends "aren't my cup of tea" (bad pun,but real possibility)
> or do they really need the higher temp? Would I get more enjoyment out
> of everything if steeped hotter?

Hi Justin,

I suspect strongly that your Lapsang and Assam at least would like a higher
temperature than 180. It's possible that the base for the flavored blacks
would also like a higher heat. The Pu'erh, the Darjeeling, and the Gunpowder
ought to work fine at 180, not boiling. If you get a chance you could
experiment around to find out what works best for you. Human tendency is to
overheat, not underheat, so you are on firm ground in general. I do think
that if the coffee maker maintains a reservoir of hot water for hour upon
hour, then the water might go flat.

What kind of Pu'erh are you drinking?

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Daniel J. Morlan

I'd just try a cup hot. That way you'll know for sure. Do you have a
microwave over there?

Dan

"Justin Holmes" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Pardon me if this has been done to death but...
>
> I use a coffee maker to heat the water in my office for tea. I'm
> guessing that the output is somewhere in the 180 range. To this point,
> it hasn't bothered me any, and I have steeped darjeeling (of unknown
> origin), Lapsang Souchong, Pu-Erh, gunpowder (temple of heaven), and
> assam, all with favorable results (these are all from a local co-op
> that has a good selection of bulks). Today, I got an order from Upton
> and the first two teas (almond flavored black and Melange Noelle) were
> kind of disappointing. I know the water temp is below the reccomended
> 212, but this hasn't been a problem with other blends. Is it just that
> these two blends "aren't my cup of tea" (bad pun,but real possibility)
> or do they really need the higher temp? Would I get more enjoyment out
> of everything if steeped hotter?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

In article . com>,
Justin Holmes > wrote:
>Pardon me if this has been done to death but...
>
>I use a coffee maker to heat the water in my office for tea. I'm
>guessing that the output is somewhere in the 180 range. To this point,
>it hasn't bothered me any, and I have steeped darjeeling (of unknown
>origin), Lapsang Souchong, Pu-Erh, gunpowder (temple of heaven), and
>assam, all with favorable results (these are all from a local co-op
>that has a good selection of bulks). Today, I got an order from Upton
>and the first two teas (almond flavored black and Melange Noelle) were
>kind of disappointing. I know the water temp is below the reccomended
>212, but this hasn't been a problem with other blends. Is it just that
>these two blends "aren't my cup of tea" (bad pun,but real possibility)
>or do they really need the higher temp? Would I get more enjoyment out
>of everything if steeped hotter?

For black teas, you will get considerably more enjoyment out of them
if steeped hotter. For the gunpowder tea, you will get less.

Try using the office microwave and seeing for yourself.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Justin Holmes

Fair enough, unfortunately, all my tea is at the office, and all my
ability to boil is at home, and it is such a hassle hauling 50 grams of
tea back and forth :-)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Justin Holmes

They are the little Tuo Cha balls (of the white paper wrapped variety)
that I got in bulk from the Co-Op. The bin may well say more about
where they are from, but offhand, I don't know. I do know that they
make a mighty fine cup. I also have some Special Grade Mini Tuo Cha
from upton, just a sample size, but I decided not to open them yet to
keep them fresh a little longer

Thanks to everybody for the responses. This is a big help!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Klaus Alexander Seistrup

Justin Holmes skrev:

> Fair enough, unfortunately, all my tea is at the office, and
> all my ability to boil is at home, and it is such a hassle
> hauling 50 grams of tea back and forth :-)

I feel your pain. *

--
Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Magnetic Ink, Copenhagen, Denmark
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Carl

Michael Plant wrote:
> I do think
> that if the coffee maker maintains a reservoir of hot water for hour upon
> hour, then the water might go flat.

Hiya, Michael, and everyone,

The old trick from India and the Middle East is good for this: aerate
the water by pouring it farther than usual from the cup. This usually
involves starting to pour normally, while moving the water and cup apart
and then back together in a sweeping motion. This imparts a froth or
'head' to the brew. Watch your aim.

In that same region tea is also poured from glass to glass, like making
a shake. This also aerates the water and improves the tea's flavor.

Carl
/tooo many 'o's in yahoo :P

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant

/14/05

> Michael Plant wrote:
>> I do think
>> that if the coffee maker maintains a reservoir of hot water for hour upon
>> hour, then the water might go flat.

> Hiya, Michael, and everyone,
>
> The old trick from India and the Middle East is good for this: aerate
> the water by pouring it farther than usual from the cup. This usually
> involves starting to pour normally, while moving the water and cup apart
> and then back together in a sweeping motion. This imparts a froth or
> 'head' to the brew. Watch your aim.
>
> In that same region tea is also poured from glass to glass, like making
> a shake. This also aerates the water and improves the tea's flavor.
>
> Carl

Carl,

I've heard this often and seen it several times. I'm no expert, God forbid;
and I speak out of pure ignorance -- my favorite position -- but I somehow
doubt that this trick *really* aerates the water enough to make any
difference at all. If Dog Ma were around, he could certainly enlighten us,
and I wish he would. In fact I'll try to contact him if he doesn't come
forth.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
carl

Michael Plant wrote:

> Carl,
>
> I've heard this often and seen it several times. I'm no expert, God forbid;
> and I speak out of pure ignorance -- my favorite position -- but I somehow
> doubt that this trick *really* aerates the water enough to make any
> difference at all. If Dog Ma were around, he could certainly enlighten us,
> and I wish he would. In fact I'll try to contact him if he doesn't come
> forth.

Hiya, Michael,

This is how I pour my teas and coffees, and it adds something to the
flavor. Try it with milk, too, especially chocolate milk.

Carl
/ tooo many 'o's in yahoo ;P

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Default What teas are improved by chocolate milk? (was Water Temp)

carl > writes:

> Michael Plant wrote:
>
> > Carl,
> > I've heard this often and seen it several times. I'm no expert, God
> > forbid;
> > and I speak out of pure ignorance -- my favorite position -- but I somehow
> > doubt that this trick *really* aerates the water enough to make any
> > difference at all. If Dog Ma were around, he could certainly enlighten us,
> > and I wish he would. In fact I'll try to contact him if he doesn't come
> > forth.

> Hiya, Michael,
>
> This is how I pour my teas and coffees, and it adds something to the
> flavor. Try it with milk, too, especially chocolate milk.

Fortunately I had no liquid of any kind in my mouth when I read this,
for I imagined you adding chocolate milk to tea.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Carl

Lewis Perin wrote:

> Fortunately I had no liquid of any kind in my mouth when I read this,
> for I imagined you adding chocolate milk to tea.

>:O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

The only 'adulterated' tea I brew is Tibetan-style, which has some salt
along with the cream and butter Tea is simmered for 10 minutes or so
in a small pan, and the other ingredients added (Tibetans use the tea as
a caloric food) and served in a small bowl.

Carl
/ tooo many 'o's in yahoo ;P
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
crymad

Carl wrote:
> Lewis Perin wrote:
>
>> Fortunately I had no liquid of any kind in my mouth when I read this,
>> for I imagined you adding chocolate milk to tea.

> >:O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Yes:

http://www.hersheys.com/syrup/parent...es/chaitea.asp

Just one of over 13,000 Google hits for "Chocolate Chai".

--crymad

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Carl > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
>
> > Fortunately I had no liquid of any kind in my mouth when I read this,
> > for I imagined you adding chocolate milk to tea.

> >:O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

> The only 'adulterated' tea I brew is Tibetan-style, which has some
> salt along with the cream and butter Tea is simmered for 10 minutes
> or so in a small pan, and the other ingredients added (Tibetans use
> the tea as a caloric food) and served in a small bowl.
>
> Carl
> / tooo many 'o's in yahoo ;P

Not enough Os in "O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water! Brooklyn1 General Cooking 85 17-03-2013 04:17 PM
water temp for Anxi oolong? Alex[_3_] Tea 5 29-03-2008 04:06 AM
Judging water temp...thermometer? ostaz Tea 7 25-12-2005 05:14 AM
Dig temp at... Piedmont Barbecue 4 23-06-2005 03:25 PM
water temp vs caffeine content Kevin Graham Tea 3 10-09-2004 08:36 PM