Jo helen matheson

Default tea smoked chicken

I would like to tea smoke a chicken. the recipe that i have calls for
Lapsang Souchong. Can anyone tell me where I might buy this tea and doe
it go by antother name. any information will be appricated. thanks

jo helen

toci

That's the name, a very smoky Chinese red or black tea. I haven't
drunk it for a number of years, but buy my teas from Upton (not Lipton)
unless there's a reason not to. Toci
Jo helen matheson wrote:
> I would like to tea smoke a chicken. the recipe that i have calls for
> Lapsang Souchong. Can anyone tell me where I might buy this tea and doe
> it go by antother name. any information will be appricated. thanks
>
> jo helen

Sonam Dasara

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:20:20 -0500, Jo helen matheson typed:

> I would like to tea smoke a chicken. the recipe that i have calls for
> Lapsang Souchong. Can anyone tell me where I might buy this tea and doe
> it go by antother name. any information will be appricated. thanks
>
> jo helen

That is the correct name, and if there is a tea shop in your area,
they will have it. Otherwise, as the previous poster said, Uptons
sells it: http://www.uptontea.com/
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara
10/24/2005 11:30:22 PM
Scott Dorsey

Jo helen matheson > wrote:
>I would like to tea smoke a chicken. the recipe that i have calls for
>Lapsang Souchong. Can anyone tell me where I might buy this tea and doe
>it go by antother name. any information will be appricated. thanks

Lapsang is a very common tea, but to be honest I think if you are doing
tea smoked duck (or chicken) that it really doesn't add anything to use
a smoky tea.

To do tea smoked duck, I normally use cheap oolong from the local oriental
market.... $7 will buy you a 25 lb bag of Foojoy. I wouldn't drink it,
but it works well for smoking.

If you are absolutely set on using lapsang souchong, Twining's makes an
okay one that your local Twining's dealer should be able to find. Upton's
sells a better one. The best I ever had is sold by First Colony Coffee
and Tea in Norfolk, which I found very surprising.

But it's a waste of money to use good tea for tea smoked duck.

Oh yes, and make sure you have EXCELLENT ventillation!
--scott

Obdoakes

Default tea smoked chicken - please explain

Jo helen matheson wrote:
> I would like to tea smoke a chicken. the recipe that i have calls for
> Lapsang Souchong. Can anyone tell me where I might buy this tea and doe
> it go by antother name. any information will be appricated. thanks
>
> jo helen

My curiosity is peaked. Would you, or Scott, please post a quick
description of what it means to tea smoke chicken, or duck?

Is it similar to smoking salmon using tea instead of wood chips or
something else enrirely?

Thanks, Eric

stePH

Obdoakes wrote:
> Jo helen matheson wrote:
> > I would like to tea smoke a chicken. the recipe that i have calls for
> > Lapsang Souchong. Can anyone tell me where I might buy this tea and doe
> > it go by antother name. any information will be appricated. thanks
> >
> > jo helen
> >

> My curiosity is peaked. Would you, or Scott, please post a quick
> description of what it means to tea smoke chicken, or duck?
>
> Is it similar to smoking salmon using tea instead of wood chips or
> something else enrirely?

I'd bet money that that is exactly what it means.

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

Joshua McGee

My recipe is at http://www.mcgees.org/recipes.html#teasmokedchicken, if
you are interested.

Joshua McGee

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

Obdoakes > wrote:

>My curiosity is peaked. Would you, or Scott, please post a quick
>description of what it means to tea smoke chicken, or duck?
>
>Is it similar to smoking salmon using tea instead of wood chips or
>something else enrirely?

That is exactly it. Normally you do it in a wok with damp tea leaves at
the bottom smouldering and the duck up above it on a little stand. For
production purposes, some restaurants will have little smokers that take
a couple duck breasts at a time.

If you like smoked food, it is absolutely something you need to try at
a good Chinese restaurant.
--scott

Tea-Smoked Chicken Wings Jenn Bartimus[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 31-08-2007 06:53 AM
smoked chicken Diane Epps Barbecue 15 31-08-2004 05:10 PM
Smoked chicken Diane Epps General Cooking 4 27-08-2004 04:28 PM