Default Tea dummy has another question...

Hi Dave,
I'm no expert and i'm sure other people could provide better input, but
for what it's worth: The water should be below boiling point, like all
greens. If it's matcha, it's easiest to use a deep bowl to whisk tea;
cupping the bowl with a C-shape with one hand, whisk with a swift
up-down motion with your other hand. ...it's all in the wrists! I like
to get a nice froth going. i've actually heard of people using blenders
to make their matcha, so it's kind of personal preference if you prefer
a certain type of whisk..? Drink directly from the bowl in a series of
short sips.

It sounds like the teapot you mentioned is for steeping and serving
regular steeped green tea leaves. Is that the type with the handle at a
90-degree angle to the spout? I like those kind, but don't know the
name for 'em. Good luck!

Dave wrote:
> How hot should the water be for mixing Matcha? I have some powdered

green
> tea which I picked up at the local Asian supermarket, and am wanting

to try
> it. It doesn't actually appear to be Matcha, (from what those who

can read
> Chinese tell me) but...
>
> Also picked up a small teapot that *might* hold 250 ml, handle coming

off
> the side and the whole thing in a dark ochre, almost like terra cotta

(sp?)
> What would something like this typically be used for? It honestly

looks
> like I could mix my powdered green tea in it with the whisk I have,

which is
> what I was planning on. Any advice in this direction would be

welcomed.

> And one more thing... Where could one find a fairly inexpensive

bamboo
> whisk? I know where to get a *good* one, but don't yet want to spend
> >$25.00 (what with shipping and all.) I have a cheap one that came

with my
> boxed "tea ceremony" set, but don't expect it to last very long.

Should I
> just bit the bullet, or settle for one of those $4.00 (four legged)

specials
> I see on Ebay?
>
> Thanks for your patience. I know nothing of tea, but do hope to

learn.
> Apologies to anyone I offend with my ignorance.
>
> Dave

What Dave said in the earlier response is fairly good. Unless you are
planning to do a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, you do not need a
Japanese bowl and the direction to stir. However, I want to offer to
pieces of advice for anyone who enjoys matcha.

1. Matcha found in Asian supermarket that does not explicitly stated
that it is matcha--beware, it could be mixed with other ingredients
such as sugar, yeast, power milk and some say it is "matcha
latte"--which it is not the same thing.

2. When buying a whisk, make sure you buy a superior quality one. A
premium grade traditional Japanese whisk is available in two classes.
The first one has 80 golden bamboo fins. This one usally cost around
$20 - $25 USD. The second one has 100 golden bamboo fins. This one
usally cost around $30 to $40 USD.

I premium quality whisk is a must for matcha lovers. I do not recommend
a $5-$10 low quality bamboo whisk. I you do not want to spend the money
on a quality whisk, just use a stainless steel egg beater. It almost
does the same job with 3 times the effort.

If you are interested in buying a premium quality 100 fin golden bamboo
whisk, check out http://www.brandconcepts.biz. They sell top quality
tradtional Japanese whisk and match for a very good price. They sell
match $50 USD. This comes with 100 grams of Match and a 100 fin golden
bamboo whisk.

Greg

Dave

Hello Murch,

What I am using doesn't even claim to be true Matcha, just powdered green
tea leaves. I googled Matcha and found the recommended temp of 180 degrees
F, so that is more or less what I have been using. For high-quality Matcha
140 degrees was recommended. When I get around to getting the real thing,
that is what I'll probably do.

I've been whisking my mock-Matcha in the described teapot- more enclosed and
less likely to splash with energetic whisking. And yes, the handle is
mounted 90 degrees to the spout. It works okay...

Thanks for the reply!

Dave

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Dave,
> I'm no expert and i'm sure other people could provide better input, but
> for what it's worth: The water should be below boiling point, like all
> greens. If it's matcha, it's easiest to use a deep bowl to whisk tea;
> cupping the bowl with a C-shape with one hand, whisk with a swift
> up-down motion with your other hand. ...it's all in the wrists! I like
> to get a nice froth going. i've actually heard of people using blenders
> to make their matcha, so it's kind of personal preference if you prefer
> a certain type of whisk..? Drink directly from the bowl in a series of
> short sips.
>
> It sounds like the teapot you mentioned is for steeping and serving
> regular steeped green tea leaves. Is that the type with the handle at a
> 90-degree angle to the spout? I like those kind, but don't know the
> name for 'em. Good luck!
>

> Dave wrote:
> > How hot should the water be for mixing Matcha? I have some powdered

> green
> > tea which I picked up at the local Asian supermarket, and am wanting

> to try
> > it. It doesn't actually appear to be Matcha, (from what those who

> can read
> > Chinese tell me) but...
> >
> > Also picked up a small teapot that *might* hold 250 ml, handle coming

> off
> > the side and the whole thing in a dark ochre, almost like terra cotta

> (sp?)
> > What would something like this typically be used for? It honestly

> looks
> > like I could mix my powdered green tea in it with the whisk I have,

> which is
> > what I was planning on. Any advice in this direction would be

> welcomed.
> >
> > And one more thing... Where could one find a fairly inexpensive

> bamboo
> > whisk? I know where to get a *good* one, but don't yet want to spend
> > >$25.00 (what with shipping and all.) I have a cheap one that came

> with my
> > boxed "tea ceremony" set, but don't expect it to last very long.

> Should I
> > just bit the bullet, or settle for one of those $4.00 (four legged)

> specials
> > I see on Ebay?
> >
> > Thanks for your patience. I know nothing of tea, but do hope to

> learn.
> > Apologies to anyone I offend with my ignorance.
> >
> > Dave

Dave

Hey Greg,

Yeah, I checked the ingredients, but it only says "green tea leaves." And
as I mentioned in previous post, it doesn't even claim to be Matcha. 'sokay
with me for now.

What about the 120 fin whisks I see here and there. Would they work better
than a 100 fin whisk? The one I am currently has 60 fins, I think.
Passable, is all I can say. I soak it in the hot water for five minutes, to
make it more flexible. Eventually, I'll get the real thing. Right now I am
just practicing.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

oups.com...