Standard Deviant

Default Multiple Infusings - Delay?

If you have a tea that can withstand 2 or three infusings, how long is
acceptible to wait between infusings. Must those 2-3 occur within the
same sitting or can you wait several hours or even days before you
infuse the leaves again?

Bluesea

"Standard Deviant" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> If you have a tea that can withstand 2 or three infusings, how long is
> acceptible to wait between infusings. Must those 2-3 occur within the
> same sitting or can you wait several hours or even days before you
> infuse the leaves again?

Either way. It depends on how thirsty I am for that particular tea. If I
don't want more until much later, however, I make sure there's enough air
circulation to let the leaves dry if left long enough. IOW, I don't let them
sit in even the smallest amount of water for hours at a time at room
temperature because bacteria may grow. I'm partial to brew baskets for this
reason. For my Fuguang tea traveler, I merely turn it upside down and let it
rest on the dish drainer rack.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Standard Deviant

Bluesea wrote:
> "Standard Deviant" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > If you have a tea that can withstand 2 or three infusings, how long

is
> > acceptible to wait between infusings. Must those 2-3 occur within

the
> > same sitting or can you wait several hours or even days before you
> > infuse the leaves again?

> Either way. It depends on how thirsty I am for that particular tea.

If I
> don't want more until much later, however, I make sure there's enough

air
> circulation to let the leaves dry if left long enough. IOW, I don't

let them
> sit in even the smallest amount of water for hours at a time at room
> temperature because bacteria may grow. I'm partial to brew baskets

for this
> reason. For my Fuguang tea traveler, I merely turn it upside down and

let it
> rest on the dish drainer rack.
>
> --

What is a Fuguang tea traveler? That sounds very exotic.

Derek

On Sun, 22 May 2005 18:11:11 -0500, Bluesea wrote:

[snip]

> Well, there it's called the Anhui tea thermos (and isn't "thermos" a
> registered trademark not to be used to describe other companies' products?),
> but the box says "FUGUANG" in big letters across the top.

"Thermos" is a registered trademark. But (like bandaid, kleenex,
xerox, jell-o, and velcro) it has become a "proprietary eponym."

Some companies vigorously protect their trademark. Others don't.

--
Derek

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." --
Voltaire
Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 18:11:11 -0500, Bluesea wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Well, there it's called the Anhui tea thermos (and isn't "thermos" a
> > registered trademark not to be used to describe other companies'

products?),
> > but the box says "FUGUANG" in big letters across the top.

> "Thermos" is a registered trademark. But (like bandaid, kleenex,
> xerox, jell-o, and velcro) it has become a "proprietary eponym."
>
> Some companies vigorously protect their trademark. Others don't.

Thanks. Somehow, I don't see Yellow Mountain as being big enough for the
Thermos people to get vigorous about, anyway.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Standard Deviant

http://www.food-newsgroups.com/post/..._Traveler.html
> as posted by Bluesea. Google is your friend
> --
> Peter

I googled "Fuguang tea traveler" and came across that link, and maybe
two others. Not alot on the google front. Is "Fuguang" have another
English spelling that I should use. Those words are always
transliterations anyway.

Michael Plant

5/22/05

http://ymimports.zoovy.com/product/QT-0007.

> Well, there it's called the Anhui tea thermos (and isn't "thermos" a
> registered trademark not to be used to describe other companies' products?),
> but the box says "FUGUANG" in big letters across the top.
>
> Hmm...along the side, the box says Anhui Fuguang Plastics Co., Ltd...
> http://www.fuguangchina.com...if your Chinese is any good.

I've got one. It's kewl.
Michael

Mike Petro

Michael Plant wrote:
> 5/22/05
>

> > "Standard Deviant" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

message

long
> >> is

within
> >> the

you

tea.
> >> If I

enough
> >> air

don't
> >> let them

room

baskets
> >> for this

and
> >> let it

> >> What is a Fuguang tea traveler? That sounds very exotic.

> > They're really kewl. You can get one off of eBay or:

http://ymimports.zoovy.com/product/QT-0007.

> > Well, there it's called the Anhui tea thermos (and isn't "thermos"

> > registered trademark not to be used to describe other companies'

products?),
> > but the box says "FUGUANG" in big letters across the top.
> >
> > Hmm...along the side, the box says Anhui Fuguang Plastics Co.,

Ltd...
> > http://www.fuguangchina.com...if your Chinese is any good.
> >

> I've got one. It's kewl.
> Michael

There is another design made by "Hengdazhizao" (Lu Lu Shun tel
13017986181) that while very similar is also better IMHO. Instead of a
screen that screws onto the glass and a lid that screws onto the
screen, it has a screen that simply sits inside of the top of the glass
and then a lid that screws directly onto the glass itself. The
advantage being that there is only one threaded connection to
potentially leak. With the Fuguang model I sometimes find that the
screen comes off when I only mean to take the lid off or vice versa. It
also leaks more than the Lu Lu model.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Lewis Perin

"David M. Harris" > writes:

> Standard Deviant wrote:
>
> > If you have a tea that can withstand 2 or three infusings, how long is
> > acceptible to wait between infusings. Must those 2-3 occur within the
> > same sitting or can you wait several hours or even days before you
> > infuse the leaves again?
> >

> You can wait days, if you like, as long as it's the same sitting. Once
> you get up from the table, all bets are off.

Unless I miss my guess, that rule more or less defines Huangshan Hold'Em.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Bluesea

LOL!

--
~~Bluesea~~ wiping up the spurted-out tea

"David M. Harris" > wrote in message
> Standard Deviant wrote:
>
> > If you have a tea that can withstand 2 or three infusings, how long is
> > acceptible to wait between infusings. Must those 2-3 occur within the
> > same sitting or can you wait several hours or even days before you
> > infuse the leaves again?
> >

> You can wait days, if you like, as long as it's the same sitting. Once
> you get up from the table, all bets are off.
>
> dmh

Bluesea

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> There is another design made by "Hengdazhizao" (Lu Lu Shun tel
> 13017986181) that while very similar is also better IMHO. Instead of a
> screen that screws onto the glass and a lid that screws onto the
> screen, it has a screen that simply sits inside of the top of the glass
> and then a lid that screws directly onto the glass itself. The
> advantage being that there is only one threaded connection to
> potentially leak. With the Fuguang model I sometimes find that the
> screen comes off when I only mean to take the lid off or vice versa. It
> also leaks more than the Lu Lu model.

Googling for "Hengdazhizao", "Lu Lu Shun", and "13017986181" resulted in no
matches. Where did you get yours? Can you provide a link?

Thanks.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Rufus T. Firefly

These sound quite interesting, but I just had a question or two about
these thermoses. Do they feel hot when you drink out of them? They are
plastic, right? Are they well insulated or molded to where they have
double thickness or sort of double back on themselves if you can
possibly imagine what I am trying to ask? (Obviously I didn't live out
my boyhood dream of becoming an engineer.) They just look kind of thin
skinned in the URL. Do the screens get nasty pretty quick? If used for
an entire day they might seem obviously nasty, whereas the filter in my
little pot is hidden from view, making it not very obviously nasty.

Rufus T. Firefly

Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote in message

> "Rufus T. Firefly" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > These sound quite interesting, but I just had a question or two about
> > these thermoses. Do they feel hot when you drink out of them?

> Warm, not hot, not anywhere close to uncomfortable.

FYI - Because of the longer infusion, my water for this is 120-140 degrees
F.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Rufus T. Firefly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> These sound quite interesting, but I just had a question or two about
> these thermoses. Do they feel hot when you drink out of them?

Warm, not hot, not anywhere close to uncomfortable.

> They are plastic, right?

Yes.

> Are they well insulated or molded to where they have
> double thickness or sort of double back on themselves if you can
> possibly imagine what I am trying to ask? (Obviously I didn't live out
> my boyhood dream of becoming an engineer.)

Yes.

> They just look kind of thin skinned in the URL.

No, they're not thin-skinned; not single-wall construction.

> Do the screens get nasty pretty quick? If used for
> an entire day they might seem obviously nasty, whereas the filter in my
> little pot is hidden from view, making it not very obviously nasty.

If I understand what you're asking, no, the screen doesn't get nasty. The
flow of the liquid carries the leaves to the screen as you raise the bottom
to drink, then they go back down when you lower it from your mouth. A few
might get beached but they're easily dislodged if you want by sloshing or
swirling or tipping the container or simply drinking again to make the
liquid engulf them and make them swim again.

--
~~Bluesea~~

darjeeling tea 1st Flush 2008- crop delay [email protected] Tea 3 06-03-2008 04:51 AM
Delay between packing and processing Stuart Pedazzo Preserving 5 11-08-2006 01:56 AM
Multiple Infusings - Delay? elgoog Tea 0 26-05-2005 07:14 PM
How can you delay milk turning sour? Sheldon General Cooking 11 18-03-2005 12:19 AM
Fix for Dacor oven runs it's convection fan during delay [email protected] Cooking Equipment 2 03-03-2005 01:44 AM