Default Fix for Dacor oven runs it's convection fan during delay

Our late model Dacor oven is great but it has one irritating featu
if you set the oven to delay the start time, it will kick on the
convection fan as soon as the delay begins, and presumably run for
HOURS that way prior to starting the bake cycle according to the delay
you set. So much for any moisture that might be present in any food
that could be in there waiting to cook.

I noticed that this doesn't happen, however, if you have the temp probe
inserted in the oven's jack, and probe mode is selected. Hmmm....

Even though there are no coherent answers available from Dacor's
support folk on this (I tried twice), you can simply either plug the
probe into the jack, and hang it out the oven with the door carefully
closed on the cord, a somewhat inelegant fix, or instead, pick up a
1/4" "phone plug" and a 75K 1/2 watt (or 1 watt) resistor, solder the
resistor in between the tip and ground, and voila... a dummy temp
probe. Now just use the dummy whenever you need to delay bake and
don't want to waste your fan bearings and/or some power during the
delay.

The resistor will change value slightly when heated but should remain
very close to the original value.

Be sure the phone plug is all-metal; plastics will probably make a real
mess in the hot oven...

Also, note that the use of this dummy probe will no doubt violate some
sort of warranty provision, so caveat emptor...

Have fun!

Stronghill

I am surprised that you consider what Dacor provides as "support." They
flatly refuse to answer any technical questions and insist that a
caller contact a local dealer. As a result, I no longer specific Dacor
appliances in any kitchen that I design. They are the antithisis of
customer focused!

Yes, I agree. It's really a shame I think, as I do believe the
hardware is actually pretty good, albeit a little stupid at times. We
also put in a Dacor gas cooktop that I really like although I wish I
had waited another couple of months, as I would've chosen the newer
model with the higher BTU burners... but, oh well.

It does boggle the mind sometimes (at least my small example) how some
companies can apparently completely lose track of "how sales
happens"... and "how word of mouth travels"...

No, I wouldn't call it customer service in this case... you're exactly
right.

Maybe one of their employees might actually read this group and pass
the word on though...

tx

eno