Ripon

Default Traditional Thai Iced tea recipe

This afternoon, I was swimming in the Hotel Polana and suddenly heard
some people were speaking in Thai. I was in Thailand for 3 three and
half years and have a weakness about this beautiful country. Then I saw
two Thai guys are talking with each other about bribing a government
official. I went close to them and say- "Mai Di" "bad idea". They were
shocked and looked at me. I smiled and told them about my Thailand
experience and I speak Thai. Thai people never expect any foreigner can
speak their language well. My Thai is good, I even know local slang.
So, we have decided to have launch together. Before meeting them, I had
no idea that Maputo has Thai restaurants which I miss a lot. On the way
to the Thai restaurant "Thai spice" (what a beautiful name) they told
me they invested money with a local fishing company which export big
tiger shrimp and lobster in Europe(got another opportunity to get some
good shrimp and lobster- The whole time, conversation was in Thai and
they were shocked and laughing with my Thai slang.

While I was checking the menu, I was little disappointed to see no
Chai yen(Thai iced tea) but they have Chai Lon(hot tea but Twining tea
bag). I was looking all over the menu if it was written some other
pages. My Thai friend understood, I am looking for something. They
asked me if I am looking for some special Thai dish. I said- Hell,
yes-Thai iced tea. They start laughing and went to talk with the
restaurant manager- who is mid 30's Thai woman, wearing a beautiful
traditional Thai dress. The background traditional Thai instrumental
music just made me so happy. My understanding is, the Thai community is
very small here and they know each other. The manager came and
apologies in English- "We are very sorry, we don't serve Thai iced tea.
if I really want some Thai iced tea, they can make a Twining Ceylon OP
with ice and milk." I understood my two new Thai friends didn't tell
her about my Thai background. I strait told her in Thai- "you are
offering me to change my name with yours. How can you compare Thai Iced
tea with Ceylon iced tea." First she was shocked and burst with
laughing and say -" they make Thai iced tea, only for themselves but
they can make a change in my case because I speak Thai." I thought, I
will take this chance in one step ahead. I asked her to teach me how to
make Thai iced tea and sell some Thai Black tea from Changrai(Northern
province in Thailand, border with China). It is very difficult to get
Thai black tea which makes the authentic Thai iced tea. My Thai friend
who used to supply me Thai black tea, last year he moved in Australia.
In Thai culture if you asked something with good manner, they can never
refuse. Thai people are very kind and love to take care of foreigners.
They are very proud of their culture and country, unfortunately, many
foreigners don't respect their custom and culture and talk only about
their red district areas without knowing that Thailand has a very
strong manufacturing based industry which brings billions of dollar
also their number one industry. Her skin color was fair and yellow(real
Thais are brown and flat face) that means- she was Chinese-Thai and
drink Chinese tea. I also offered her- if she give me some Thai black
tea, I will give her some 20 years old Pu-erh, Xihu Qiqiang LongJin
Spring-2005 and top grade Tai Guan Yin. She looked at me and said-
"deal with some Xihu longJin." I know it wasn't a win-win deal,
according to the marketing term but I love Thai iced tea that much-

I had wonderful Thai food after long time. Lab Cai(the chicken salad),
Tom Yun Kung(Thai spicy shrimp soup), Pad Thai(Noodles), Khanom
Mu(Sweet and sour Pork), Ahan Thale(grilled sea food) etc. After
swimming when you are hungry and if you have you favorite dishes, what
else do you need in your life-

Anyway, I went to the kitchen and saw the whole process, how they make
authentic Thai iced tea. Here it is- free traditional Thai iced tea
recipe as a part of my gift to you from Mozambique( as a part because I
will always share whatever I learn-

Som(the manager, BTW Som means orange. Thai people can have name like
Mu(Pig), Kai(Chicken) etc. Don't ask me why- Som told me that most of
the Thai Iced teas are fake because they use flavor. Thai iced tea
recipe is very simple, all you need is- the real ingredients. Their are
two types of Thai Iced tea- 1)for regular drink, another 2)for special
day. Why special? Because of one extra ingredient they mix is- little
almond milk. She also told me that some Thai iced tea also mix cinnamon
and Cardamom but that is not authentic Thai recipe. Where you gonna get
real Thai black tea? I don't know but I have found my way-

Ingredients:

Regular- Thai black tea steep five-seven minutes in water as black tea
200F (you don't have to be so sensitive about tea leafs amount. Just
follow your taste- strong, medium or light). Pour the tea liquor on
crashed ice( very small pieces, not cubes). Then don't use condensed or
half-half milk, only evaporated milk. You can add sugar if you like.
Mix it, That's it.

Special- Follow the same process just add some extra almond milk.
that's it- She told me top Thai hotels make their iced tea with
Almond milk.

In Friday, we work unit afternoon in Maputo. I spend my time with them
from 1:30 PM until 9:30 PM, include free Thai dinner. They didn't want
to take money from me. Som, also offered me her restaurant cook can
teach me Thai cooking if I wish. Of course, I love to cook. I had
wonderful a day.

Sometimes I wonder- I was in Thailand for three and half years but
couldn't discover the traditional Thai iced tea recipe. Who knew after
eleven years, I will find the recipe in Africa- Mozambique. Now I am
thinking of the movie- "God must be crazy"- Have a wonderful weekend
with tea and if you wish, maybe next time Thai cooking recipe- I am
very happy today because I have found some generous Thai friends here.

Ripon
Maputo, Mozambique

Melinda

Hi Ripon, thank you for sharing your wonderful story! I love Thai food
myself, especially Thom Ka Gai (coconut chicken soup) and green and red and
massuman curries, yum yum!

I don't know about plain Thai iced tea, but I know that the Thai iced tea
that I seem to get in the restaurants in the States here and in the powdered
form (for brewing, it's not instant, though you can find instant) has an
orange color that I have been told was natural (!?) and it also has a strong
flavor of star anise in it. And of course they do use the condensed milk. It
makes me happy to hear that a person can make Thai iced tea with just
regular tea and evaporated milk, as sometimes I find the "normal" Thai iced
tea here in restaurants to be too sweet and too strong tasting, not of tea
but of everything else. Sometiems I love it and sometimes it's just too
much.

I think I have some recipes for green curry paste if you're interested in
learning how to make it from scratch, just let me know. I'm not Thai, all my
learning is from others, lol...

I know what you mean about them being generous, there is a restaurant
locally here to me where the manager himself comes out to greet the
customers and make sure that everything is jsut right for them, he is
extremely courteous. I would love to visit Thailand someday...and I will.

Have fun!!

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter

"Ripon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> that's it- She told me top Thai hotels make their iced tea with
> Almond milk.
>
> In Friday, we work unit afternoon in Maputo. I spend my time with them
> from 1:30 PM until 9:30 PM, include free Thai dinner. They didn't want
> to take money from me. Som, also offered me her restaurant cook can
> teach me Thai cooking if I wish. Of course, I love to cook. I had
> wonderful a day.
>
> Sometimes I wonder- I was in Thailand for three and half years but
> couldn't discover the traditional Thai iced tea recipe. Who knew after
> eleven years, I will find the recipe in Africa- Mozambique. Now I am
> thinking of the movie- "God must be crazy"- Have a wonderful weekend
> with tea and if you wish, maybe next time Thai cooking recipe- I am
> very happy today because I have found some generous Thai friends here.

Ripon

Hello Melinda, your welcome. It is always fun to share travel
experience. Yes, Thom Ka Gai is "Aroi Mak" "Very tasty". The orange
color of Thai ice tea is natural- it is true. I think Thai black tea
has her own distinctive pattern which makes this color when it get in
touch with evaporated milk. The anise flavor is also natural. Thai
black tea production is limited and consumes locally. I don't know
anyone who actually export Thai black tea. This tea is even only
available in some local Thai market, not huge super market like British
Tesco, Japanese Sogo or French Carrefour in Bangkok. Once you have Thai
iced in Thailand, you never get the same taste in any Thai restaurant
in overseas.

Please, I would love have the green curry paste recipe. Don't worry, I
know you are not a Thai- While I was around Washington DC area, I
wasn't happy with any Thai restaurants because they were Americanize
Thai food. There was only one restaurant calls- Sala Thai which one was
quiet ok. Once in every year Thai Embassy in Washington DC organize
huge Thai festival and I have tasted the real Thai food there. My
another favorite Thai noodles soup is- Super spicy "Qui Theo"(flat
noodles, meat balls, vegetables, animal organ, tons of fried garlic,
unknown spices). This soup can have all the ingredients, meat and organ
of live animals. You already know that I can eat anything- If you
have this recipe, please forward it to me. What else do you have in
your recipe collection? Thank you very much.

Ripon
Maputo, Mozambique

Melinda

Hi Ripon, hey I'm having trouble finding that recipe, give me about a week
and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'll drop it to you in an E-mail, hope that
works...

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are

"Ripon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello Melinda, your welcome. It is always fun to share travel
> experience. Yes, Thom Ka Gai is "Aroi Mak" "Very tasty". The orange
> color of Thai ice tea is natural- it is true. I think Thai black tea
> has her own distinctive pattern which makes this color when it get in
> touch with evaporated milk. The anise flavor is also natural. Thai
> black tea production is limited and consumes locally. I don't know
> anyone who actually export Thai black tea. This tea is even only
> available in some local Thai market, not huge super market like British
> Tesco, Japanese Sogo or French Carrefour in Bangkok. Once you have Thai
> iced in Thailand, you never get the same taste in any Thai restaurant
> in overseas.
>
> Please, I would love have the green curry paste recipe. Don't worry, I
> know you are not a Thai- While I was around Washington DC area, I
> wasn't happy with any Thai restaurants because they were Americanize
> Thai food. There was only one restaurant calls- Sala Thai which one was
> quiet ok. Once in every year Thai Embassy in Washington DC organize
> huge Thai festival and I have tasted the real Thai food there. My
> another favorite Thai noodles soup is- Super spicy "Qui Theo"(flat
> noodles, meat balls, vegetables, animal organ, tons of fried garlic,
> unknown spices). This soup can have all the ingredients, meat and organ
> of live animals. You already know that I can eat anything- If you
> have this recipe, please forward it to me. What else do you have in
> your recipe collection? Thank you very much.
>
> Ripon
> Maputo, Mozambique

Melinda

Hi Ripon, hey I'm having trouble finding that recipe, give me about a week
and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'll drop it to you in an E-mail, hope that
works...

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
daughters of disquiet or arrogance, both
fruits of temptation and the food of sacrilege." Djaout

"Ripon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello Melinda, your welcome. It is always fun to share travel
> experience. Yes, Thom Ka Gai is "Aroi Mak" "Very tasty". The orange
> color of Thai ice tea is natural- it is true. I think Thai black tea
> has her own distinctive pattern which makes this color when it get in
> touch with evaporated milk. The anise flavor is also natural. Thai
> black tea production is limited and consumes locally. I don't know
> anyone who actually export Thai black tea. This tea is even only
> available in some local Thai market, not huge super market like British
> Tesco, Japanese Sogo or French Carrefour in Bangkok. Once you have Thai
> iced in Thailand, you never get the same taste in any Thai restaurant
> in overseas.
>
> Please, I would love have the green curry paste recipe. Don't worry, I
> know you are not a Thai- While I was around Washington DC area, I
> wasn't happy with any Thai restaurants because they were Americanize
> Thai food. There was only one restaurant calls- Sala Thai which one was
> quiet ok. Once in every year Thai Embassy in Washington DC organize
> huge Thai festival and I have tasted the real Thai food there. My
> another favorite Thai noodles soup is- Super spicy "Qui Theo"(flat
> noodles, meat balls, vegetables, animal organ, tons of fried garlic,
> unknown spices). This soup can have all the ingredients, meat and organ
> of live animals. You already know that I can eat anything- If you
> have this recipe, please forward it to me. What else do you have in
> your recipe collection? Thank you very much.
>
> Ripon
> Maputo, Mozambique

Edgar Miller

Hey Melinda and Ripon and everybody,
Melinda, please post that message here, or forward it tom me, as I would
love to have it. Now all we need is a recipe for Thai Iced Coffee! I lived
in Thaliand for two years and it was wonderful, esp. the food......
Chris

"Melinda" > wrote in message
> Hi Ripon, hey I'm having trouble finding that recipe, give me about a
> week and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'll drop it to you in an E-mail,
> hope that works...
>
> Melinda
>

> --
> "The country has entered an era in which
> questions are not asked, for questions are
> daughters of disquiet or arrogance, both
> fruits of temptation and the food of sacrilege." Djaout
>

> "Ripon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Hello Melinda, your welcome. It is always fun to share travel
>> experience. Yes, Thom Ka Gai is "Aroi Mak" "Very tasty". The orange
>> color of Thai ice tea is natural- it is true. I think Thai black tea
>> has her own distinctive pattern which makes this color when it get in
>> touch with evaporated milk. The anise flavor is also natural. Thai
>> black tea production is limited and consumes locally. I don't know
>> anyone who actually export Thai black tea. This tea is even only
>> available in some local Thai market, not huge super market like British
>> Tesco, Japanese Sogo or French Carrefour in Bangkok. Once you have Thai
>> iced in Thailand, you never get the same taste in any Thai restaurant
>> in overseas.
>>
>> Please, I would love have the green curry paste recipe. Don't worry, I
>> know you are not a Thai- While I was around Washington DC area, I
>> wasn't happy with any Thai restaurants because they were Americanize
>> Thai food. There was only one restaurant calls- Sala Thai which one was
>> quiet ok. Once in every year Thai Embassy in Washington DC organize
>> huge Thai festival and I have tasted the real Thai food there. My
>> another favorite Thai noodles soup is- Super spicy "Qui Theo"(flat
>> noodles, meat balls, vegetables, animal organ, tons of fried garlic,
>> unknown spices). This soup can have all the ingredients, meat and organ
>> of live animals. You already know that I can eat anything- If you
>> have this recipe, please forward it to me. What else do you have in
>> your recipe collection? Thank you very much.
>>
>> Ripon
>> Maputo, Mozambique

Edgar Miller

"Melinda" > wrote in message
> Hi Ripon, hey I'm having trouble finding that recipe, give me about a
> week and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'll drop it to you in an E-mail,
> hope that works...
>
> Melinda
>

> --
> "The country has entered an era in which
> questions are not asked, for questions are
> daughters of disquiet or arrogance, both
> fruits of temptation and the food of sacrilege." Djaout
>

> "Ripon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Hello Melinda, your welcome. It is always fun to share travel
>> experience. Yes, Thom Ka Gai is "Aroi Mak" "Very tasty". The orange
>> color of Thai ice tea is natural- it is true. I think Thai black tea
>> has her own distinctive pattern which makes this color when it get in
>> touch with evaporated milk. The anise flavor is also natural. Thai
>> black tea production is limited and consumes locally. I don't know
>> anyone who actually export Thai black tea. This tea is even only
>> available in some local Thai market, not huge super market like British
>> Tesco, Japanese Sogo or French Carrefour in Bangkok. Once you have Thai
>> iced in Thailand, you never get the same taste in any Thai restaurant
>> in overseas.
>>
>> Please, I would love have the green curry paste recipe. Don't worry, I
>> know you are not a Thai- While I was around Washington DC area, I
>> wasn't happy with any Thai restaurants because they were Americanize
>> Thai food. There was only one restaurant calls- Sala Thai which one was
>> quiet ok. Once in every year Thai Embassy in Washington DC organize
>> huge Thai festival and I have tasted the real Thai food there. My
>> another favorite Thai noodles soup is- Super spicy "Qui Theo"(flat
>> noodles, meat balls, vegetables, animal organ, tons of fried garlic,
>> unknown spices). This soup can have all the ingredients, meat and organ
>> of live animals. You already know that I can eat anything- If you
>> have this recipe, please forward it to me. What else do you have in
>> your recipe collection? Thank you very much.
>>
>> Ripon
>> Maputo, Mozambique

Melinda

A recipe similary to the one I used is here at Food TV:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._23100,00.html
I'm not going to post it because of course it's not my recipe. I don't recal
using black pepper in my paste, but to each their own. Some people use
kaffir lime rind and juice instead of or in addition to the kaffir lime
leaves. I tend to like the "fresh" part of the taste so if it were me I
might add more lemongrass and coriander, but that's me. Play with it.

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter

"Edgar Miller" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Hey Melinda and Ripon and everybody,
> Melinda, please post that message here, or forward it tom me, as I would
> love to have it. Now all we need is a recipe for Thai Iced Coffee! I
> lived in Thaliand for two years and it was wonderful, esp. the food......
> Chris
>
> "Melinda" > wrote in message
>> Hi Ripon, hey I'm having trouble finding that recipe, give me about a
>> week and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'll drop it to you in an E-mail,
>> hope that works...
>>
>> Melinda
>>

>> --
>> "The country has entered an era in which
>> questions are not asked, for questions are
>> daughters of disquiet or arrogance, both
>> fruits of temptation and the food of sacrilege." Djaout
>>

>> "Ripon" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> Hello Melinda, your welcome. It is always fun to share travel
>>> experience. Yes, Thom Ka Gai is "Aroi Mak" "Very tasty". The orange
>>> color of Thai ice tea is natural- it is true. I think Thai black tea
>>> has her own distinctive pattern which makes this color when it get in
>>> touch with evaporated milk. The anise flavor is also natural. Thai
>>> black tea production is limited and consumes locally. I don't know
>>> anyone who actually export Thai black tea. This tea is even only
>>> available in some local Thai market, not huge super market like British
>>> Tesco, Japanese Sogo or French Carrefour in Bangkok. Once you have Thai
>>> iced in Thailand, you never get the same taste in any Thai restaurant
>>> in overseas.
>>>
>>> Please, I would love have the green curry paste recipe. Don't worry, I
>>> know you are not a Thai- While I was around Washington DC area, I
>>> wasn't happy with any Thai restaurants because they were Americanize
>>> Thai food. There was only one restaurant calls- Sala Thai which one was
>>> quiet ok. Once in every year Thai Embassy in Washington DC organize
>>> huge Thai festival and I have tasted the real Thai food there. My
>>> another favorite Thai noodles soup is- Super spicy "Qui Theo"(flat
>>> noodles, meat balls, vegetables, animal organ, tons of fried garlic,
>>> unknown spices). This soup can have all the ingredients, meat and organ
>>> of live animals. You already know that I can eat anything- If you
>>> have this recipe, please forward it to me. What else do you have in
>>> your recipe collection? Thank you very much.
>>>
>>> Ripon
>>> Maputo, Mozambique

Darawen Littlestich

thank you again for a wonderful travelogue and with recipes too! i am
happy....

Ripon wrote:
> [...]
> that's it- She told me top Thai hotels make their iced tea with
> Almond milk.
>
> In Friday, we work unit afternoon in Maputo. I spend my time with them
> from 1:30 PM until 9:30 PM, include free Thai dinner. They didn't want
> to take money from me. Som, also offered me her restaurant cook can
> teach me Thai cooking if I wish. Of course, I love to cook. I had
> wonderful a day.
>
> Sometimes I wonder- I was in Thailand for three and half years but
> couldn't discover the traditional Thai iced tea recipe. Who knew after
> eleven years, I will find the recipe in Africa- Mozambique. Now I am
> thinking of the movie- "God must be crazy"- Have a wonderful weekend
> with tea and if you wish, maybe next time Thai cooking recipe- I am
> very happy today because I have found some generous Thai friends here.

Scott Dorsey

Melinda > wrote:
>Hi Ripon, hey I'm having trouble finding that recipe, give me about a week
>and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'll drop it to you in an E-mail, hope that
>works...

I'm not a fan of the green curry, but here is how I learned to make the
red curry:

Ingredients:
2 tbs. coriander seeds
0.5 tsp caraway seeds
1.5 tbs. shrimp paste
3 tsp. black peppercorn
1 tsp dried black chilis
3 tsp fresh or dried kaffir line rind
1 stem lemon grass, chopped
5 cilantro roots
6 shallots
3 tsp chopped galangal or fresh ginger
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1 large fresh mild red chilli, without seeds
10 Thai Bird's Eye small chilis, or 1 to 3 fresh large hot chilis, seeded
3 tbs oil

Begin by heating the coriander and caraway seeds, the shrimp paste and pepper
corns for a few minutes. When the mixture softens a bit, add the
chili flakes and kaffir lime peel and cook a couple more minutes. Then
transfer to a mortar and add all the other ingredients and grind the whole
thing to a paste. You may be able to use a food processor for this but
it works very well if done by hand. Grind to a fine paste, then store in
refrigerator for as long as a month or so. May be frozen.

--scott

Scott Dorsey

Edgar Miller > wrote:
>Hey Melinda and Ripon and everybody,
>Melinda, please post that message here, or forward it tom me, as I would
>love to have it. Now all we need is a recipe for Thai Iced Coffee! I lived
>in Thaliand for two years and it was wonderful, esp. the food......

To be honest, I don't think I have ever had _real_ Thai tea... the stuff
I had in Thailand was pretty much identical to what Vasinee Foods and
Chaokoh import into the US. I think Ripon has more of an in than I ever
did.

If you want Thai tea powder, it's not all that hard to find.... but I do
think the stuff that shows up on these shores may have some added anise
and coloring. I know that Masim's Market in Washington DC carries it,
and I can probably find someplace local to you if you are in the US.
--scott

Space Cowboy

I buy my green curry paste in the 400g containers from Thailand for $2.
I use to make my own curries and bake Indian breads but now it is just
a trip to the store. Yum black salt and lime pickle.

Jim

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Melinda > wrote:
> >Hi Ripon, hey I'm having trouble finding that recipe, give me about

a week
> >and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'll drop it to you in an E-mail,

hope that
> >works...

> I'm not a fan of the green curry, but here is how I learned to make

the
> red curry:
>
> Ingredients:
> 2 tbs. coriander seeds
> 0.5 tsp caraway seeds
> 1.5 tbs. shrimp paste
> 3 tsp. black peppercorn
> 1 tsp dried black chilis
> 3 tsp fresh or dried kaffir line rind
> 1 stem lemon grass, chopped
> 5 cilantro roots
> 6 shallots
> 3 tsp chopped galangal or fresh ginger
> 8 cloves garlic, peeled
> 1 large fresh mild red chilli, without seeds
> 10 Thai Bird's Eye small chilis, or 1 to 3 fresh large hot chilis,

seeded
> 3 tbs oil
>
> Begin by heating the coriander and caraway seeds, the shrimp paste

and pepper
> corns for a few minutes. When the mixture softens a bit, add the
> chili flakes and kaffir lime peel and cook a couple more minutes.

Then
> transfer to a mortar and add all the other ingredients and grind the

whole
> thing to a paste. You may be able to use a food processor for this

but
> it works very well if done by hand. Grind to a fine paste, then

store in
> refrigerator for as long as a month or so. May be frozen.
>
> --scott

Scott Dorsey

Ripon > wrote:

>Please, I would love have the green curry paste recipe. Don't worry, I
>know you are not a Thai- While I was around Washington DC area, I
>wasn't happy with any Thai restaurants because they were Americanize
>Thai food. There was only one restaurant calls- Sala Thai which one was
>quiet ok.

Sala Thai mostly does white-people style food, but they will do real
Thai food if you ask. There is also a place called Suporn's, which
will do real Thai.

There used to be a great place in Hampton, about four hours South of
DC, but the owner recently sold it to some folks who are making the
usual sweet slop.

Also in DC, I recommend the Mandalay restaurant, which has Burmese
food. It is a little like upcountry Thai and a little like Indian
but really it's not like either one.

>another favorite Thai noodles soup is- Super spicy "Qui Theo"(flat
>noodles, meat balls, vegetables, animal organ, tons of fried garlic,
>unknown spices). This soup can have all the ingredients, meat and organ
>of live animals. You already know that I can eat anything- If you
>have this recipe, please forward it to me. What else do you have in
>your recipe collection? Thank you very much.

You mean Kua Teaw, which is actually the name for the flat noodles
and not the soup. I know how to make "kua teaw nom" which is the
meatball soup with kua teaw, and there is another soup that is called
"kua teaw haeng" that is spicier but I don't know how to make.

I have a recipe book from the Bangkok Ladies' Tennis Club which is
probably the best Thai cookbook I have ever used.
--scott

Ripon

Scott, Jim, Darawen, Edgar:

Thanks for your input. Sorry for the late response. I hope, we all got
our Green curry recipe-

Scott, yes I would love to get the recipe, please. You can send it to
my valid account- I wish, I knew you before
while I was around DC. I took a print out of your post and put it in a
file for next time. Thanks again.

Jim, how is you curry paste? does it has some artificial flavor.

Thank you all.

Ripon
Maputo, Mozambique

Space Cowboy

Here are the ingredients nothing artificial. All commercial curries in
my opinion seem to lack something. If you have the time a recipe is
better. All curry consuming countries have their own specific
formulations so it is comparing apples and oranges. Thailand is noted
for green curry paste so you won't find it in Indian stores. I've only
tried one brand so I can't really compare. The brands now break it
down to the type of meal: lamb, chicken, seafood, vegetable, etc. My
favorite consumer product is a curry gravy from Thailand and a sauce
from China. They spice anything and not dry like a powder or paste.

Green chili, lemon grass, garlic, salt, galangal, shallot, shrimp
paste, kaffir lime peel, coriander seed, pepper, cumin, turmeric.

Jim

Ripon wrote:
> Scott, Jim, Darawen, Edgar:
>
> Thanks for your input. Sorry for the late response. I hope, we all

got
> our Green curry recipe-
>
> Scott, yes I would love to get the recipe, please. You can send it to
> my valid account- I wish, I knew you before
> while I was around DC. I took a print out of your post and put it in

> file for next time. Thanks again.
>
> Jim, how is you curry paste? does it has some artificial flavor.
>
> Thank you all.
>
> Ripon
> Maputo, Mozambique

Melinda

Hey Jim, what is the curry gravy you speak of? I mean the brand and name. I
am always on the lookout for things I can add to my own basic ingredients so
I can make lower fat versions of dishes...Pad thai for instance involves a
whole lot of oil to stir fry the noodles but I am trying to find a way to
just use boiled noodles and add flavoring, and I found a couple of sauces
that might work. I know it's possible, Thai Kitchen has instant pad thai
meals where you just add water to the noodles and let them soften....

The curry pastes in those plastic tubs are sure convenient...just add
coconut milk and basil. And chicken or whatever. Sometimes I've seen green
peas, which I find odd but oh well.

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Here are the ingredients nothing artificial. All commercial curries in
> my opinion seem to lack something. If you have the time a recipe is
> better. All curry consuming countries have their own specific
> formulations so it is comparing apples and oranges. Thailand is noted
> for green curry paste so you won't find it in Indian stores. I've only
> tried one brand so I can't really compare. The brands now break it
> down to the type of meal: lamb, chicken, seafood, vegetable, etc. My
> favorite consumer product is a curry gravy from Thailand and a sauce
> from China. They spice anything and not dry like a powder or paste.
>
> Green chili, lemon grass, garlic, salt, galangal, shallot, shrimp
> paste, kaffir lime peel, coriander seed, pepper, cumin, turmeric.
>
> Jim
>
> Ripon wrote:
>> Scott, Jim, Darawen, Edgar:
>>
>> Thanks for your input. Sorry for the late response. I hope, we all

> got
>> our Green curry recipe-
>>
>> Scott, yes I would love to get the recipe, please. You can send it to
>> my valid account- I wish, I knew you before
>> while I was around DC. I took a print out of your post and put it in

>> file for next time. Thanks again.
>>
>> Jim, how is you curry paste? does it has some artificial flavor.
>>
>> Thank you all.
>>
>> Ripon
>> Maputo, Mozambique

Space Cowboy

Curry Gravy, Lee Brand, Product of Thailand. It comes in various size
cans. The large is 13oz/$2.50. It is basically curry powder, coconut
milk, corn starch, soy bean oil, water, no msg. There is a website
www.nrinstant.com. I add it just to about everything I eat. Instead
of noodles I stock up on various frozen stuffed Chinese dumplings.
They MW in seconds or just add hot water from kettle. I like creamed
spinach so I add the gravy for my version of saag. I'm always stocked
on frozen Nan so I reheat on a iron skillet and slop up the dumplings.

Jim

Melinda wrote:
> Hey Jim, what is the curry gravy you speak of? I mean the brand and

name. I
> am always on the lookout for things I can add to my own basic

ingredients so
> I can make lower fat versions of dishes...Pad thai for instance

involves a
> whole lot of oil to stir fry the noodles but I am trying to find a

way to
> just use boiled noodles and add flavoring, and I found a couple of

sauces
> that might work. I know it's possible, Thai Kitchen has instant pad

thai
> meals where you just add water to the noodles and let them soften....
>
> The curry pastes in those plastic tubs are sure convenient...just add

> coconut milk and basil. And chicken or whatever. Sometimes I've seen

green
> peas, which I find odd but oh well.
>
> Melinda

Space Cowboy

Hi Melinda,

I thought I'd backtrack and add some more comments here. I'm driving
through suburbia and came across a seemingly out of place Asian grocery
store. It wasn't very big and had a Taiwan pouchong I hadn't tried. I
did find something I hadn't seen befo green curry fried sardines
from Thailand. I bought a 100ct/case on the spot. The taste is not
that hot but has the obligatory pepper if you want to clear the
sinuses. I throw the contents on a chapati and let it soak a little
before eating like a burrito. I came across an Indian store which
sells a condiment Curry sauce in a jar which I like more than the gravy
in the tins. I'm not a big fan of the Coconut flavor.

Jim

thai iced coffee ExpatNL Asian Cooking 3 01-04-2014 04:11 PM
Thai Iced Tea AE Todd General Cooking 11 23-11-2007 11:33 PM
Thai Iced Coffee International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 22-06-2007 02:39 AM
Thai Iced Tea (6) Collection International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 31-01-2005 03:48 AM
thai iced coffee thaitotos Asian Cooking 0 11-10-2003 08:50 AM