Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thai Iced Tea

I am curious if anyone has ever tried making Thai Iced Tea, the kind
you can order at a Thai restaurant. What variety and brand is the
tea? What is on top, half & half? I was once told that the tea is
Jasmine, but I sort of doubt this, as Jasmine is not the dark reddish
hue that arrives at the table at the restaurant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 19 Nov 2007 08:37:18a, AE Todd meant to say...

> I am curious if anyone has ever tried making Thai Iced Tea, the kind
> you can order at a Thai restaurant. What variety and brand is the
> tea? What is on top, half & half? I was once told that the tea is
> Jasmine, but I sort of doubt this, as Jasmine is not the dark reddish
> hue that arrives at the table at the restaurant.

Try this...

Thai Tea Recipe From Scratch

1 gallon water
8 Chinese star anise, ground
1 tablespoon orange flowers
1 tablespoon powdered vanilla
1 pinch of clove powder
1 pinch chopped cinnamon
3/4 quart long cut China black tea leaves
1 to 2 cups sugar
1 quart half & half
red food coloring
crushed ice

Boil water. Add star anise, orange flowers, vanilla, clove, cinnamon, and
tea leaves to boiling water. Continue boiling for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat. Cover and allow to steep until luke warm.
Strain, and add sugar to taste. Serve in a clear glass over plenty of
crushed ice. Top with half & half.

Traditional Variation: Substitute coconut milk for half & half.

--
November 15th,2007
¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
| |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
| | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
___ ._| ._|
.'=:-\
/.='( ` give thanks...
/. ^=.'-._..---.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 10:37 am, AE Todd > wrote:
> I am curious if anyone has ever tried making Thai Iced Tea, the kind
> you can order at a Thai restaurant. What variety and brand is the
> tea? What is on top, half & half? I was once told that the tea is
> Jasmine, but I sort of doubt this, as Jasmine is not the dark reddish
> hue that arrives at the table at the restaurant.

I can buy Thai tea from my local asian grocery. I found this site that
sells it and has pictures.
I usually just pour boiling water over the tea, let it steep then
strain a bunch of times with a colander lined with a coffee filter. I
just bought a tea sock but I haven't used it yet.

FYI - if you buy the packaged tea with all the seasonings added - be
careful of spillage. It makes everything orange!

http://www.importfood.com/thaiicetea.html

I brew the tea and add sugar syrup to taste and then float half and
half on the top. Not exactly authentic but it tastes very good.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:37:18 -0800 (PST), AE Todd
> wrote:

>I am curious if anyone has ever tried making Thai Iced Tea, the kind
>you can order at a Thai restaurant. What variety and brand is the
>tea? What is on top, half & half? I was once told that the tea is
>Jasmine, but I sort of doubt this, as Jasmine is not the dark reddish
>hue that arrives at the table at the restaurant.

I have excellent Asian groceries where I can find the already spiced
tea. I keep it vac sealed and in the freezer until use.

This web page offers it and I have seen this brand in stores, too.
Full instructions are included, along with pictures.

http://www.importfood.com/thaiicetea.html

From the site:
************************
Boil 8 cups water. Place 8-10 heaping tablespoons tea mix in a large
pitcher or pot. Pour boiling water over the tea and let steep for 5
minutes. Use a strainer to strain the tea into a second pitcher (this
removes most of the loose tea), then use a coffee filter or the
stainless/muslin filter offered below to filter it back into the
(rinsed) first pitcher. Add sugar to taste (recommend at least 1 cup,
as Thai ice tea should be very sweet), stir and let cool then put in
the fridge. Pour chilled tea over ice (prefer crushed ice) and top
with evaporated milk. Let the milk float on the ice and slowly sink
into the tea.
**********************

This place also has great Thai ingredients that not everyone can get
locally. I have ordered from them in the past, specifically galangal,
as I could not find any for awhile, so I planted some of it in a pot.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"AE Todd" > wrote in message
> I am curious if anyone has ever tried making Thai Iced Tea, the kind
> you can order at a Thai restaurant. What variety and brand is the
> tea? What is on top, half & half? I was once told that the tea is
> Jasmine, but I sort of doubt this, as Jasmine is not the dark reddish
> hue that arrives at the table at the restaurant.

They typically use sweetened condensed milk but they will also use cane
sugar and milk. They do not use Jasmine tea, they use a black tea and they
steep it with cinnamon and vanilla. They also use food coloring.
Restaurants typically will get it in a powdered form pre-mixed.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:18:12 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:37:18 -0800 (PST), AE Todd
> wrote:
>
>>I am curious if anyone has ever tried making Thai Iced Tea, the kind
>>you can order at a Thai restaurant. What variety and brand is the
>>tea? What is on top, half & half? I was once told that the tea is
>>Jasmine, but I sort of doubt this, as Jasmine is not the dark reddish
>>hue that arrives at the table at the restaurant.

>I have excellent Asian groceries where I can find the already spiced
>tea. I keep it vac sealed and in the freezer until use.
>
>This web page offers it and I have seen this brand in stores, too.
>Full instructions are included, along with pictures.
>
>http://www.importfood.com/thaiicetea.html
>
>From the site:
>************************
>Boil 8 cups water. Place 8-10 heaping tablespoons tea mix in a large
>pitcher or pot. Pour boiling water over the tea and let steep for 5
>minutes. Use a strainer to strain the tea into a second pitcher (this
>removes most of the loose tea), then use a coffee filter or the
>stainless/muslin filter offered below to filter it back into the
>(rinsed) first pitcher. Add sugar to taste (recommend at least 1 cup,
>as Thai ice tea should be very sweet), stir and let cool then put in
>the fridge. Pour chilled tea over ice (prefer crushed ice) and top
>with evaporated milk. Let the milk float on the ice and slowly sink
>into the tea.
>**********************
>
>This place also has great Thai ingredients that not everyone can get
>locally. I have ordered from them in the past, specifically galangal,
>as I could not find any for awhile, so I planted some of it in a pot.
>
>Boron

i was under the impression that it was condensed milk rather than
half-and-half as well.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:50:42 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:18:12 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:37:18 -0800 (PST), AE Todd
> wrote:
>>
>>>I am curious if anyone has ever tried making Thai Iced Tea, the kind
>>>you can order at a Thai restaurant. What variety and brand is the
>>>tea? What is on top, half & half? I was once told that the tea is
>>>Jasmine, but I sort of doubt this, as Jasmine is not the dark reddish
>>>hue that arrives at the table at the restaurant.

>>I have excellent Asian groceries where I can find the already spiced
>>tea. I keep it vac sealed and in the freezer until use.
>>
>>This web page offers it and I have seen this brand in stores, too.
>>Full instructions are included, along with pictures.
>>
>>http://www.importfood.com/thaiicetea.html
>>
>>From the site:
>>************************
>>Boil 8 cups water. Place 8-10 heaping tablespoons tea mix in a large
>>pitcher or pot. Pour boiling water over the tea and let steep for 5
>>minutes. Use a strainer to strain the tea into a second pitcher (this
>>removes most of the loose tea), then use a coffee filter or the
>>stainless/muslin filter offered below to filter it back into the
>>(rinsed) first pitcher. Add sugar to taste (recommend at least 1 cup,
>>as Thai ice tea should be very sweet), stir and let cool then put in
>>the fridge. Pour chilled tea over ice (prefer crushed ice) and top
>>with evaporated milk. Let the milk float on the ice and slowly sink
>>into the tea.
>>**********************
>>
>>This place also has great Thai ingredients that not everyone can get
>>locally. I have ordered from them in the past, specifically galangal,
>>as I could not find any for awhile, so I planted some of it in a pot.
>>
>>Boron

>i was under the impression that it was condensed milk rather than
>half-and-half as well.
>
>your pal,
>blake

The first recipe I saw for it mentioned the condensed. I saw it at the
web site of a favorite Thai cookbook writer, Kasma Loha-unchit.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/thaitea.html

I suppose that some places may use half and half or cream or otherwise
alter the basic recipe to put their own "signature" on the dish and
there may be regional differences as well, that I don't know about.

I must say that it is something I used to order at every Thai
restaurant I visited and the presentation and taste could vary widely
among them.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

> The first recipe I saw for it mentioned the condensed. I saw it at the
> web site of a favorite Thai cookbook writer, Kasma Loha-unchit.
>
> http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/thaitea.html
>
> I suppose that some places may use half and half or cream or otherwise
> alter the basic recipe to put their own "signature" on the dish and
> there may be regional differences as well, that I don't know about.
>
> I must say that it is something I used to order at every Thai
> restaurant I visited and the presentation and taste could vary widely
> among them.
>
> Boron

The creamer that I saw used in restaurants in Thailand was always canned. I
never saw any fresh milk, cream, or half-and-half.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:15:34 -0800, "Mitch Scherer" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .

>> The first recipe I saw for it mentioned the condensed. I saw it at the
>> web site of a favorite Thai cookbook writer, Kasma Loha-unchit.
>>
>> http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/thaitea.html
>>
>> I suppose that some places may use half and half or cream or otherwise
>> alter the basic recipe to put their own "signature" on the dish and
>> there may be regional differences as well, that I don't know about.
>>
>> I must say that it is something I used to order at every Thai
>> restaurant I visited and the presentation and taste could vary widely
>> among them.
>>
>> Boron

>The creamer that I saw used in restaurants in Thailand was always canned. I
>never saw any fresh milk, cream, or half-and-half.
>
>Mitch

Thai restaurants in the US, sadly, like many Chinese ones, are not
always looking for authenticity as much as they are looking to please
the US customer.

I've been to some phenomenal authentic ones and some really lousy
ones.

Kasma is true to her cuisine in her cookbooks and web site.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:27:34 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:15:34 -0800, "Mitch Scherer" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> The first recipe I saw for it mentioned the condensed. I saw it at the
>>> web site of a favorite Thai cookbook writer, Kasma Loha-unchit.
>>>
>>> http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/thaitea.html
>>>
>>> I suppose that some places may use half and half or cream or otherwise
>>> alter the basic recipe to put their own "signature" on the dish and
>>> there may be regional differences as well, that I don't know about.
>>>
>>> I must say that it is something I used to order at every Thai
>>> restaurant I visited and the presentation and taste could vary widely
>>> among them.
>>>
>>> Boron

>>The creamer that I saw used in restaurants in Thailand was always canned. I
>>never saw any fresh milk, cream, or half-and-half.
>>
>>Mitch
>>

>Thai restaurants in the US, sadly, like many Chinese ones, are not
>always looking for authenticity as much as they are looking to please
>the US customer.
>
>I've been to some phenomenal authentic ones and some really lousy
>ones.
>
>Kasma is true to her cuisine in her cookbooks and web site.
>
>Boron

i bookmarked her site. thanks, boron.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

So the recipe always require an elaborate recipe or a tea mix? There
isn't anthing in between?

On another note, I sort of doubt that sweetened condensed milk is
correct for the recipes. This product is way to sweet and thick. I
think that either half and half or evap milk is better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:42:05 -0800 (PST), AE Todd
> wrote:

>So the recipe always require an elaborate recipe or a tea mix? There
>isn't anthing in between?
>
>On another note, I sort of doubt that sweetened condensed milk is
>correct for the recipes. This product is way to sweet and thick. I
>think that either half and half or evap milk is better.

I prefer the condensed milk. Now we have them all covered.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

thai iced coffee ExpatNL Asian Cooking 3 01-04-2014 04:11 PM
Thai Iced Coffee International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 22-06-2007 02:39 AM
Thai Iced Tea (6) Collection International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 31-01-2005 03:48 AM
Thai Iced Coffee Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-03-2004 12:23 PM
thai iced coffee thaitotos Asian Cooking 0 11-10-2003 08:50 AM