Default Few Tea Questions

I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.

1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea, my friend
says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
called?

3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

Thanks in advance.

Ian Rastall

On 20 Apr 2005 19:45:08 -0700, wrote:

>1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
>well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

I use tap water and don't notice an odd taste. I guess if it works for
you, then it's a good thing.

>2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea

Put two or three teaspoons of tea into a teapot, pour in water, steep,
strain into cups. I have a teapot with a filter basket, so I don't
need to bother with the last step. The water should be boiling for
black tea, off the boil for oolong/jasmine/herbal, and way off the
boil for green. I generally steep according to leaf size. The finest
cuts, like a breakfast tea, get about thirty seconds. A big leaf gets
five minutes. A tisane (herbal) gets as much as ten minutes.

>my friend
>says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
>looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
>the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
>called?

French Press. They work well if you're serving everything in it
immediately. If not, the tea will sit in there and oversteep.

>3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
>that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
>cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

My mom grew up drinking green tea with milk and sugar. I've had it.
It's not bad, but it's kind of thin. Cream is too heavy for tea (in my
experience). It works better in coffee.

If you want some variety, (may lightning strike me down), you may want
to try adding some juice. I've found that good green tea tastes like
apricots. They sell apricot juice, don't they?

Anyway, hope that helps,

Ian
--
http://www.bookstacks.org/
Eric Jorgensen

On 20 Apr 2005 19:45:08 -0700
wrote:

> I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
> and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.
>
> 1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
> well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

Varies. RO and refrigeration are both good for it. You want something
with an essentially neutral ph (right around 7), and i've seen potable
water vary from 6.0 to 8.5, as determined with test strips intended for
aquarium maintenance.

Hardness counts too. I, uh, forget how that scale works, or what i found
was ideal. If your hardness is mainly calcium then the hardness increases
in lock step with the ph, typically. If it's magnesium . . . . oh hell ask
a chemist, I'm in software.

Water that is too soft and too acidic will brew up tea that is more
bitter. Water that is too hard will brew up tea that is weak and leaves
mineral crud in your brewing and drinking vessels.

> 2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea, my friend
> says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
> looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
> the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
> called?

The correct term is a Melior type pot. Your friend may be referring to
either a 'french press' type coffee maker (which will work, but it's best
not to apply pressure to the leaves), or to the 16oz Bodum Assam tea pot
that Starbucks is known to sell, which has a melior type infuser assembly.

Some here will deride the Bodum designs, but my 16oz spherical bodum pot
works pretty well for me. The advantage of the design is that you can
isolate the leaf from the tea and prevent oversteeping without having to
transfer the tea into another pot.

The truth is there are pros and cons to any infusing method, and glass
vs. ceramic body and plastic vs. glass vs. mesh vs. any infuser are
religious arguments that will never be settled to anyone's satisfaction.

> 3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
> that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
> cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

Milk in green tea isn't generally recommended, though, any japanese
restaurant can serve you green tea ice cream, and it's pretty good stuff.

Cream in tea of any kind isn't typically done, it's too heavy.

A lot of people like to add a little sugar to tea. I'm one of them.

Honey is also popular in green tea, and plum juice (which contains a
ton of fructose) can be good too.

In tibet, they sometimes put salt and rancid yak butter in it.

Eric Jorgensen

On 20 Apr 2005 19:45:08 -0700
wrote:

> I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
> and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.
>
> 1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
> well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

Varies. RO and refrigeration are both good for it. You want something
with an essentially neutral ph (right around 7), and i've seen potable
water vary from 6.0 to 8.5, as determined with test strips intended for
aquarium maintenance.

Hardness counts too. I, uh, forget how that scale works, or what i found
was ideal. If your hardness is mainly calcium then the hardness increases
in lock step with the ph, typically. If it's magnesium . . . . oh hell ask
a chemist, I'm in software.

Water that is too soft and too acidic will brew up tea that is more
bitter. Water that is too hard will brew up tea that is weak and leaves
mineral crud in your brewing and drinking vessels.

> 2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea, my friend
> says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
> looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
> the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
> called?

The correct term is a Melior type pot. Your friend may be referring to
either a 'french press' type coffee maker (which will work, but it's best
not to apply pressure to the leaves), or to the 16oz Bodum Assam tea pot
that Starbucks is known to sell, which has a melior type infuser assembly.

Some here will deride the Bodum designs, but my 16oz spherical bodum pot
works pretty well for me. The advantage of the design is that you can
isolate the leaf from the tea and prevent oversteeping without having to
transfer the tea into another pot.

The truth is there are pros and cons to any infusing method, and glass
vs. ceramic body and plastic vs. glass vs. mesh vs. any infuser are
religious arguments that will never be settled to anyone's satisfaction.

> 3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
> that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
> cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

Milk in green tea isn't generally recommended, though, any japanese
restaurant can serve you green tea ice cream, and it's pretty good stuff.

Cream in tea of any kind isn't typically done, it's too heavy.

A lot of people like to add a little sugar to tea. I'm one of them.

Honey is also popular in green tea, and plum juice (which contains a
ton of fructose) can be good too.

In tibet, they sometimes put salt and rancid yak butter in it.

Melinda

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
> and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.

Welcome!

> 1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
> well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

I guess it depends on your taste. If the water tastes good to you by itself
then it's a good start. If you want to experiment though, pick up a couple
of different bottled waters (the ones in glass or clear plastic, not the
cloudy plastic which leaves a taste...I ahve heard Volvic, Arrowhead and
Danno are good) and see if you can tell the difference, other things begin
equal.

> 2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea, my friend
> says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
> looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
> the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
> called?

I am not sure if the Starbucks thing is the same as what I have, I have a
Bodum Assam (pic here http://www.harney.com/bodumassam.html ) that does
that but I don't use it for greens. I prefer to brew my greens either in a
gaiwan (pic here for instance http://www.harney.com/00139.html ) or a clear
glass teapot or jar or what I have on hand so I can see the leaves and the
color of the tea, it adds aesthetic pleasure for me. I even use a plain
water glass on occasion. And lately I've been using my Pyrex measuring cup,
very handy.

> 3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
> that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
> cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

You can put whatever suits your taste into green tea...I add peppermint to
my green gunpowder tea (but not to my "good" green teas...I don't put
anything into them) but I imagine you could put some ginger in or what have
you. Some tea vendors will put rosebuds or jasmine etc. in. Depending on how
you like the taste of straight green tea, milk kills the flavor that's
inherent in the brewed liquid itself, I feel. If I were to want to add
sweetener to mine, I would add honey but that's just my thought. I do think
that for the average perosn who's not used to green tea straight it takes a
little getting used to, but it quenches thirst really well, especially when
it's cold.

Most important points for green teas: low temps (165-170 or lower) and short
to medium steep times (depending on the temp of the water). One can get more
than one steep out of a good green, I routinely get 4-6 out of mine
depending on what I'm brewing. If the temp is too high it gives you spinach.

I use anything from a pint jelly jar to a coffee carafe (NEVER used for
coffee) and recently I found a Bodum assam pot without the press part for $2
at the Goodwill, yay!!

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome, let us know how it goes for you.

Melinda

Melinda

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]

sweetener to mine, I would add honey but that's just my thought. I do think
that for the average perosn who's not used to green tea straight it takes a
little getting used to, but it quenches thirst really well, especially when
it's cold.

Most important points for green teas: low temps (165-170 or lower) and short
to medium steep times (depending on the temp of the water). One can get more
than one steep out of a good green, I routinely get 4-6 out of mine
depending on what I'm brewing. If the temp is too high it gives you spinach.

I use anything from a pint jelly jar to a coffee carafe (NEVER used for
coffee) and recently I found a Bodum assam pot without the press part for $2
at the Goodwill, yay!!

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome, let us know how it goes for you.

Doc Elder

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
> and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.
>
> 1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
> well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

Really nice spring water might add something,might add something,
foul-tasting tap (and I've tasted that) would undoubtedly detract. I run my
brewing water through a Brita pitcher and that cleans tap water nicely
enough. I reckon your reverse osmosis machine should serve well enough for
brewing a good cup.

> 2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea, my friend
> says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
> looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
> the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
> called?

The press method works well enough, but there is a danger of stewing a
certain amount of the leaf and introducing an amount of bitterness if you do
multiple infusions. I would personally look for fine mesh infusion baskets
either to fit my brewing vessel of preference, either mug or pot. There are
countless sources of pots equiped with fine-mesh infusion baskets and any
number of sources of mug-sized infusion baskets. In a pinch, a paper-cone
coffee-filter sunk into a pot or cup will provide adequate room for the
leaves to expand and give up their good flavors and then filter out the
unwelcome bits.

> 3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
> that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
> cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

My morning eye-opener of black tea has a dose of both milk and sugar,
habits left over from years spent stationed in England. Green tea, even
Oolong tea....they have a subtle natural sweetness to them as long as you
don't over-steep them. They have a lot to offer on their own. Milk and
sugar have significantly stronger flavors....it's really easy to lose the
flavor of the tea you're paying for under the over-tones of the sugar and
milk.

-Doc

Thomas H. O'Reilly

Not only is tap water good for tea, it is better by far than bottled. If
your tap water is drinkable then that is most recommended. Running water is
fundamentally different from bottled water in that it has much more oxygen
than bottled. This is also the reason not to leave the water boiling too
long, it will de-oxygenate, thus decreasing the oxygen available in the tea
water. As soon as the water boils put it over the tea.

The french press is only good if you're going to drink all of the tea
immediately, otherwise it will become bitter from the continuous release of
the tannic acid in the tea leaves. A recommended pot and brewer is the
English Chatsford:
http://www.specialteas.com/category....98%7c99%7c103# (don't omit the
pound sign at the end) (I'm not affiliated in any way with SpecialTeas,
except I'm a happy customer)
with a plastic infuser that works very well. The idea of the infuser is to
maximize the space in which the tea leaves can move around and release their
flavor, that's why we rarely use those little metal ball type infusers, etc.
A tea sock is also good; however, they tend to get dirty quickly and are
unsightly.

Green tea is infrequently drunk English style (with milk and sugar);
however, if that's how you like it, then that's all you need to say.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
> and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.
>
> 1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
> well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.
>
> 2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea, my friend
> says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
> looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
> the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
> called?
>
> 3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
> that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
> cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Scott Dorsey

>I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
>and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.
>
>1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
>well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

Depends on your tap water. My water at home is fine, while the water
at work has a huge amount of dissolved iron in it, and makes tea taste
funny.

Try brewing tea with the tap water and some bottled spring water. If you
can't tell the difference, don't worry about it.

>2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea, my friend
>says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
>looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
>the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
>called?

This is called a French press, and I'm not a fan of it. If you want a
convenient and easy way to brew loose tea without a lot of work and
without a lot of leaves in your cup, the fine plastic infusers are a
good choice. A number of companies sell them... I think our local
supermarket has some from the Republic of Tea, but I bought mine from
Upton's. These are fine mesh screen cups that fit neatly inside a mug.

>3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
>that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
>cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

I think these are all horrible things to do to a good green tea. Mint
leaves and sugar, maybe. But not cream and milk. But again, try it
and see if you like it. I think it sounds nasty, but that's me.
--scott

Scott Dorsey

>I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
>and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.
>
>1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
>well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

Depends on your tap water. My water at home is fine, while the water
at work has a huge amount of dissolved iron in it, and makes tea taste
funny.

Try brewing tea with the tap water and some bottled spring water. If you
can't tell the difference, don't worry about it.

>2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea, my friend
>says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
>looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
>the bottom, does this work good? And what is this type of device
>called?

This is called a French press, and I'm not a fan of it. If you want a
convenient and easy way to brew loose tea without a lot of work and
without a lot of leaves in your cup, the fine plastic infusers are a
good choice. A number of companies sell them... I think our local
supermarket has some from the Republic of Tea, but I bought mine from
Upton's. These are fine mesh screen cups that fit neatly inside a mug.

>3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
>that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
>cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

I think these are all horrible things to do to a good green tea. Mint
leaves and sugar, maybe. But not cream and milk. But again, try it
and see if you like it. I think it sounds nasty, but that's me.
--scott

Bluesea

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am pretty much a novice tea brewer. I just started a few months ago
> and have myself a bag of looseleaf green tea.

That's great - Welcome to the group!

> 1. Does tap water work good for tea brewing, my tap water is from a
> well through a reverse osmosis machine and then to the refrigerator.

Depends on the water. I use a faucet-mounted filter.

> 2. What is a good but not complicated method of brewing tea...

a. Heat water in pot or kettle (an instant-read thermometer is handy)
b. Stir tea leaves into pot or pour the hot water over tea leaves in another
vessel
c. Cover (to retain heat and aroma)
d. Steep (I use the timer on my microwave.)
e. Strain
f. Serve.

After that, it all depends on what you prefer and how many people you're
serving. Chatsford, Teeli/Finum (same manufacturer), or SwissGold mesh brew
baskets for either mugs or teapots are great for clean brews and clean-up
convenience. Glass teapots are great for visual entertainment. Authentic
Brown Betty teapots are great for keeping tea warm. Earlier this month, I
got on this kick of putting green or white tea leaves in a glass mug, adding
not-too-hot water (~140°F or lower), letting it sit a short while, and then
sipping at leisure through a straw stuffed w/ a piece of coffee filter (I
need to get a bombilla). When the liquid's gone, I simply add more hot
water.

www.uptontea.com has an excellent variety of Chatsford mugs and teapots as
well as Chatsford infuser baskets.

www.specialteas.com has the best prices I've seen for the Teeli/Finum
"Permanent Tea Filter" brew baskets.

www.adagio.com and www.zackusa.com have a wide variety of Jenaer glass
teapots at good prices. www.eteapot.com sells the 16 oz Duo that I use a
lot. However, I don't use glass infusers preferring to strain or use a
different brew basket because the glass infuser doesn't prevent leaf pieces
from getting into the brew and IMO, those few little slits don't allow good
circulation.

> my friend
> says just to get this thing from Starbucks where you just put the
> looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
> the bottom, does this work good?

YMMV.

> And what is this type of device called?

French press.

> 3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
> that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
> cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

Green teas are generally intended to be drunk straight, but since they're
available scented or flavored with flowers, fruit, spices (green tea chai),
oil (Earl Grey Green), etc.; I don't see why you couldn't add your own.
Milk, sugar, honey, jam, lemon, etc. are generally added to black teas only,
but hey, they're your taste buds. I've never tried cream in any tea and I
recently read in a book that one shouldn't because the tannins curdle it.

HTH.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]

> looseleaf in and then brew then the thing presses the looseleaf down to
> the bottom, does this work good?

YMMV.

> And what is this type of device called?

French press.

> 3. Are there any random little things to add to green tea sometimes
> that make better variety, I've heard people saying milk, sugar, and
> cream, how do these taste when put into green tea?

Green teas are generally intended to be drunk straight, but since they're
available scented or flavored with flowers, fruit, spices (green tea chai),
oil (Earl Grey Green), etc.; I don't see why you couldn't add your own.
Milk, sugar, honey, jam, lemon, etc. are generally added to black teas only,
but hey, they're your taste buds. I've never tried cream in any tea and I
recently read in a book that one shouldn't because the tannins curdle it.

Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote in message

> Ah, now there's a thought...why don't I provide a link to the Fuguang tea
> traveler?

> or, http://tinyurl.com/9hrhq.

If you want to avoid eBay, it's also sold he

http://ymimports.zoovy.com/product/QT-0007.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Questions for all [email protected] Barbecue 4 22-01-2011 07:26 PM
Questions for all Pico Rico Barbecue 7 16-01-2011 12:30 AM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives General Cooking 0 07-05-2007 06:38 PM
So hey, I have a few questions Peri Meno General Cooking 17 07-10-2006 08:30 PM
2 questions Steph G.B General Cooking 8 20-01-2004 03:48 AM