Bluesea

Default Seven Gunpowders from Upton

As promised, here are my thoughts in samples of seven gunpowder green
teas from Upton.

1. ZG20 China First Grade Gunpowder -
Brewed 1 tsp. in 8 oz at 180F for 2-1/2 min. was very smoky in aroma.
Brewed 1/2 tsp. was a lot less smoky and the flavor was green and sweet.
Also good as cold tea. Not one of my favorites, so I won't reorder.

2. ZG21 China Organic Gunpowder -
Brewed 1/2 tsp. in 8 oz at 175F for 2-1/2 min. is very pleasant, smooth,
slightly sweet and green.
Brewed for 90 sec. at 160F is milder but still too green for me. I won't
reorder.

3. ZG24 China Organic Gunpowder Dao Ming -
Brewed 1/2 tsp. in 8 oz at 175F for 2-1/2 min is too bold and too green
while being smooth and a little sweet.
Brewed for 90 sec. at 160F makes a huge difference: a lot smoother, a bit
sweeter, barely green and still bold w/o being too bold. I won't, however,
reorder.

4. ZG30 Special Grade Temple of Heaven, agonized over in the ToH thread
started by Cathy Weeks on 12/9, so this is summary only -
Finally, brewing 3/8 tsp. in 8 oz at 180F for 2 min. 40 sec. gave me the
best flavor of all. It's not as smooth as the ZG34 Special Grade Pearl #1
Gunpowder which is sweeter and has better flavor so, I don't plan to reorder
the ToH.
Later, brewed 1/2 tsp. at 160F for 2-1/2 min. which also worked well enough.
Cold tea is the same. Still not going to reorder.

5. ZG32 Special Grade Green Dew Gunpowder -
Brewed 1/2 tsp. in 8 oz at 175F for 2-1/2 min. is very smooth, good taste
w/o being very "green" and there was a sweetness which lingered afterwards.
Very nice, it's sweeter and slightly greener than the Jade Pearl.

6. ZG34 Jade Pearl Gunpowder -
This is a very forgiving tea yielding a nice drinkable cup at varying
amounts and times. I settled on 1/2 tsp. in 8 oz at/or below 180F for 2-1/2
min. It has a fuller body and, while sweeter than most of the others, it
isn't quite as sweet as the Green Dew.

7. TG45 Gunpowder Green Peppermint (actually a flavored tea) -
Brewed 1/2 tsp. in 8 oz at 160F for about 2-1/2 min. was smooth with a nice,
slightly smoky-mint aroma and a mild taste.
Brewed 1 tsp. in 8 oz at 160F for 3 min. gave much better flavor but still
want to try brewing for 2-3/4 min. and 1/2 tsp. for 3 min. This is a nice
novelty tea; the gunpowder isn't as smooth as the Jade Pearl or the Green
Dew, but serves to strike a suitable counterpoint with the peppermint.

In conclusion, I wanted to find a single gunpowder to keep on hand as a
staple, but can't decide between the Green Dew and the Jade Pearl. I like
each for different reasons and after comparing them at 160F for 2-1/2 min.,
I'm at the point of buying them both.

Respectfully submitted,

--
~~Bluesea~~

Samples from Upton's toci Tea 0 10-07-2014 11:53 PM
Box from Upton's Scott Dorsey Tea 7 02-11-2010 05:32 AM
Anybody tried Upton's green pu-erh? RJP Tea 3 20-09-2006 01:09 AM
Upton's best? [email protected] Tea 11 23-03-2005 11:03 PM
Seven Gunpowders from Upton Bluesea Tea 0 22-12-2004 02:52 AM