Posted to alt.history.british,rec.food.drink.tea,soc.culture.china

Default How England stole the world's favorite drink and changed history

On Mar 31, 7:13*am, Robin ]>
wrote:
> (NPR) - By the mid-19th century, Britain was an almost unchallenged
> empire. It controlled about a fifth of the world's surface, and yet
> its weakness had everything to do with tiny leaves soaked in hot
> water. By 1800, tea was easily the most popular drink in the country.
> The problem? All the tea in the world came from China, and Britain
> couldn't control the quality or the price. So around 1850, a group of
> British businessmen set out to create a tea industry in a place they
> did control: India.
>
> "For All the Tea In China: How England Stole the World's Favorite
> Drink and Changed History" (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/TeaThieves) is
> Sarah Rose's account of the effort to control the tea market, what she
> calls the "greatest single act of corporate espionage in history."...
>
> Continued:http://xrl.us/TeaChina

~~~~~~~

I think the Chinese are at the same game. Japanese white mountain
tea disappeared from the shelves in Texas stores. Now the Chinese
are selling large quantities of "white mountain tea." in the (you
guessed it) dollar stores, not the megamarts.

Cheers, David H
~~~~~~
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singanas@Texasgulfcoast View Post
On Mar 31, 7:13*am, Robin ]
wrote:
(NPR) - By the mid-19th century, Britain was an almost unchallenged
empire. It controlled about a fifth of the world's surface, and yet
its weakness had everything to do with tiny leaves soaked in hot
water. By 1800, tea was easily the most popular drink in the country.
The problem? All the tea in the world came from China, and Britain
couldn't control the quality or the price. So around 1850, a group of
British businessmen set out to create a tea industry in a place they
did control: India.

"For All the Tea In China: How England Stole the World's Favorite
Drink and Changed History" (Amazon.com:Amazon.com: For All the Tea in China: How England Stole the World's Favorite Drink and Changed History (9780670021529): Sarah Rose: Books) is
Sarah Rose's account of the effort to control the tea market, what she
calls the "greatest single act of corporate espionage in history."...

Continued:The Tea Thieves: How A Drink Shaped An Empire : NPR

~~~~~~~

I think the Chinese are at the same game. Japanese white mountain
tea disappeared from the shelves in Texas stores. Now the Chinese
are selling large quantities of "white mountain tea." in the (you
guessed it) dollar stores, not the megamarts.

Cheers, David H
~~~~~~
well, if you are a tea-lover or really wanna know tea culture and history , then you should check on Welcome to 5K Tea - Chinese tea, green, black, oolong, pu erh to know more
__________________
www.5ktea.com, the number-one Chinese online teashop ,enjoys the reputation for the best teas and services.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

hellohello wrote:
> Singanas@Texasgulfcoast;1460367 Wrote:
>> On Mar 31, 7:13*am, Robin ]
>> wrote:-
>> (NPR) - By the mid-19th century, Britain was an almost unchallenged
>> empire. It controlled about a fifth of the world's surface, and yet
>> its weakness had everything to do with tiny leaves soaked in hot
>> water. By 1800, tea was easily the most popular drink in the country.
>> The problem? All the tea in the world came from China, and Britain
>> couldn't control the quality or the price. So around 1850, a group of
>> British businessmen set out to create a tea industry in a place they
>> did control: India.
>>
>> "For All the Tea In China: How England Stole the World's Favorite
>> Drink and Changed History" (Amazon.com:'Amazon.com: For All the Tea in
>> China: How England Stole the World's Favorite Drink and Changed
>> History (9780670021529): Sarah Rose: Books' (http://xrl.us/TeaThieves))
>> is
>> Sarah Rose's account of the effort to control the tea market, what she
>> calls the "greatest single act of corporate espionage in history."...
>>
>> Continued:'The Tea Thieves: How A Drink Shaped An Empire : NPR'
>> (http://xrl.us/TeaChina)-
>>
>> ~~~~~~~
>>
>> I think the Chinese are at the same game. Japanese white mountain
>> tea disappeared from the shelves in Texas stores. Now the Chinese
>> are selling large quantities of "white mountain tea." in the (you
>> guessed it) dollar stores, not the megamarts.
>>
>> Cheers, David H
>> ~~~~~~

> well, if you are a tea-lover or really wanna know tea culture and
> history , then you should check on 'Welcome to 5K Tea - Chinese tea,
> green, black, oolong, pu erh' (http://www.5ktea.com) to know more

I would not eat nor drink anything that comes from
China. Have you not been paying attention to the
polluted imports?

Wake up!
Posted to alt.history.british,rec.food.drink.tea,soc.culture.china

In article
"Singanas@Texasgulfcoast" > wrote:

> On Mar 31, 7:13*am, Robin ]>
> wrote:
> > (NPR) - By the mid-19th century, Britain was an almost unchallenged
> > empire. It controlled about a fifth of the world's surface, and yet
> > its weakness had everything to do with tiny leaves soaked in hot
> > water. By 1800, tea was easily the most popular drink in the country.
> > The problem? All the tea in the world came from China, and Britain
> > couldn't control the quality or the price. So around 1850, a group of
> > British businessmen set out to create a tea industry in a place they
> > did control: India.
> >
> > "For All the Tea In China: How England Stole the World's Favorite
> > Drink and Changed History" (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/TeaThieves) is
> > Sarah Rose's account of the effort to control the tea market, what she
> > calls the "greatest single act of corporate espionage in history."...
> >
> > Continued:http://xrl.us/TeaChina

So what, the US stole Peanuts from china (where it was native) and grew
their own, that's something to think about next time you're eating your
Peanut-butter and "Jelly" crap.
Posted to alt.history.british,rec.food.drink.tea,soc.culture.china

On Apr 24, 11:44*am, jonny > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *"Singanas@Texasgulfcoast" > wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 7:13*am, Robin ]>
> > wrote:
> > > (NPR) - By the mid-19th century, Britain was an almost unchallenged
> > > empire. It controlled about a fifth of the world's surface, and yet
> > > its weakness had everything to do with tiny leaves soaked in hot
> > > water. By 1800, tea was easily the most popular drink in the country.
> > > The problem? All the tea in the world came from China, and Britain
> > > couldn't control the quality or the price. So around 1850, a group of
> > > British businessmen set out to create a tea industry in a place they
> > > did control: India.

> > > "For All the Tea In China: How England Stole the World's Favorite
> > > Drink and Changed History" (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/TeaThieves) is
> > > Sarah Rose's account of the effort to control the tea market, what she
> > > calls the "greatest single act of corporate espionage in history."...

> > > Continued:http://xrl.us/TeaChina

> So what, the US stole Peanuts from china (where it was native) and grew
> their own, that's something to think about next time you're eating your
> Peanut-butter and "Jelly" crap.

~~~~~
And I did just that, Jonny in the Clouds
.....until one of our biggest peanut butter producers poisoned me
with a batch that was loaded with salmonella.
Thanks for the info that peanuts come from China and not the
other way around.

David H

Posted to alt.history.british,rec.food.drink.tea,soc.culture.china

jonny > wrote:

>So what, the US stole Peanuts from china (where it was native) and grew
>their own, that's something to think about next time you're eating your
>Peanut-butter and "Jelly" crap.

Sure, but we gave the Chinese hot peppers. I think that's more than a
fair trade. If anything, the Chinese got the better end of that deal.
--scott

Posted to alt.history.british,rec.food.drink.tea,soc.culture.china

> So what, the US stole Peanuts from china (where it was native) and grew
> their own, that's something to think about next time you're eating your
> Peanut-butter and "Jelly" crap.

From "wiki:"

The peanut was introduced to China by Portuguese traders in the 1600s and
another variety by American missionaries in the 1800s

IOW: The peanut was "native" to parts of S. America, NOT China.