Posted to alt.history.british,rec.food.drink.tea,soc.culture.china
Singanas@Texasgulfcoast Singanas@Texasgulfcoast is offline

Default How England stole the world's favorite drink and changed history

On Apr 24, 11:44*am, jonny > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *"Singanas@Texasgulfcoast" > wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 7:13*am, Robin ]>
> > wrote:
> > > (NPR) - By the mid-19th century, Britain was an almost unchallenged
> > > empire. It controlled about a fifth of the world's surface, and yet
> > > its weakness had everything to do with tiny leaves soaked in hot
> > > water. By 1800, tea was easily the most popular drink in the country.
> > > The problem? All the tea in the world came from China, and Britain
> > > couldn't control the quality or the price. So around 1850, a group of
> > > British businessmen set out to create a tea industry in a place they
> > > did control: India.

> > > "For All the Tea In China: How England Stole the World's Favorite
> > > Drink and Changed History" (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/TeaThieves) is
> > > Sarah Rose's account of the effort to control the tea market, what she
> > > calls the "greatest single act of corporate espionage in history."...

> > > Continued:http://xrl.us/TeaChina

> So what, the US stole Peanuts from china (where it was native) and grew
> their own, that's something to think about next time you're eating your
> Peanut-butter and "Jelly" crap.

~~~~~
And I did just that, Jonny in the Clouds
.....until one of our biggest peanut butter producers poisoned me
with a batch that was loaded with salmonella.
Thanks for the info that peanuts come from China and not the
other way around.

David H