Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Real Yixing?

Hi,
would you say that this is an authentic Yixing?

http://www.geting.se/viewimage.php?i...92641887_1.jpg

Thanks,
Niklas

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It looks authentic enough. Smell the inside. Is there any detectable
odor?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Dec 25 2009, 6:07*pm, niisonge > wrote:
> It looks authentic enough. Smell the inside. Is there any detectable
> odor?

Having just bought a Yixing, I'm wondering what sort of odor might be
noticed.I have noticed slight odor in mine.
Gregory
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Having just bought a Yixing, I'm wondering what sort of odor might be
> noticed.I have noticed slight odor in mine.

Is it a heavy clay odor, a musty odor, chemical odor or tea odor? I
always smell the inside before I buy. I buy the ones with no
detectable odor (when pot is fully dry). Usually after heating the
interior with hot water, you can smell the clay odor in a new pot -
but only slightly. If it has a heavy odor then I don't bother to use
it.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jan 1, 7:33*pm, niisonge > wrote:
> > Having just bought a Yixing, I'm wondering what sort of odor might be
> > noticed.I have noticed slight odor in mine.

> Is it a heavy clay odor, a musty odor, chemical odor or tea odor? I
> always smell the inside before I buy. I buy the ones with no
> detectable odor (when pot is fully dry). Usually after heating the
> interior with hot water, you can smell the clay odor in a new pot -
> but only slightly. If it has a heavy odor then I don't bother to use
> it.

It is a slight clay odor, when the pot is dry, although I doubt it is
as completely dry now as a brand new one. The clay odor is more
pronounced when wet (this was bought new and only used now about 10
times). I did have some oolong leaves in it lately which I left in all
night. Before I poured these out, I noticed a more pungent smell which
disappeared one rinsed with hot water and dried. I only use boiled
filtered water to rinse the pot, and the heat remaining in the pot,
after pouring the water out seems to drive off much of the remaining
moisture. The inside will literally start drying before my eyes which
is kind of neat. I attribute this to the properties of the clay. I
then blot up the rest with a paper towel, finding that blowing through
the spout always pushes out a little trapped water. I have tried to
avoid introducing any artificial odors by never using soap, even
avoiding using our cloth dish towels to dry with because they have a
smell from the dryer sheets used by my wife. This is probably being
too particular, but I like the pot and realize the clay will absorb
some of what's put in it. Funny how these little pot grow on you.
Gregory

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

If it's only a slight clay odor, then it should be completely ok to
use. It takes a long time for the clay odor to go away. I woudn't
leave spent tea leaves in the teapot for too long. It could sour the
pot - give off a funky odor that's hard to get rid of. But you can
drench your teapot in tea rinse each time you brew the same tea.
Drench inside and out; then pour dry. Then say, after several months,
the teapot will be ready to use. You should have separate tea towels
(highly absorbent ones are best); and reserve those only for tea use.
Wash and dry separately from other laundry. You can use a tea towel to
buff the exterior of the teapot.

Gourmandia - Real Food Website for Real People [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-12-2006 01:27 PM
FS: Real Bicycle Seats for Real People! [email protected] Marketplace 0 22-02-2006 11:30 PM
Yixing Tea Pog Anna Tea 1 13-08-2005 01:51 PM
yixing teapots Tom Tea 42 23-01-2004 02:12 PM
Yixing pot, or not? McLemore Tea 4 23-10-2003 12:41 AM