Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default White Tea - Most or Least Caffeine?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this group - I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

Could someone please clear this up for me? I've been told and have
read contradicting information about white tea and its caffeine
counts. Some say it contains the least amount, some say it has the
most. I don't quite know who to believe anymore!

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Christa > writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to this group - I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.
>
> Could someone please clear this up for me? I've been told and have
> read contradicting information about white tea and its caffeine
> counts. Some say it contains the least amount, some say it has the
> most. I don't quite know who to believe anymore!

Don't believe blanket statements that white teas as a group have the
most or the least caffeine. But to the extent that white teas *tend*
to be made from the buds or growing tips of the tea plant, they will
have more caffeine than average teas. But there are many variables
that contribute to the amount of caffeine in the cup.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> > Could someone please clear this up for me? *I've been told and have
> > read contradicting information about white tea and its caffeine
> > counts. *Some say it contains the least amount, some say it has the
> > most. *I don't quite know who to believe anymore!

All teas contain caffeine. I haven't read anything in literature, but
I would think caffeine content for different tea types would depend on
tea strain grown and growing conditions. I read Chinese are
experimenting and developing naturally low-caffeine strains of tea
plants (then no decaffination process required). Whether anything
will come of that I don't know.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Christa > writes:

>Could someone please clear this up for me? I've been told and have
>read contradicting information about white tea and its caffeine
>counts. Some say it contains the least amount, some say it has the
>most. I don't quite know who to believe anymore!

If we go by a majority, I've always heard tell it has the least. :-)

Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Dec 20, 1:37 pm, Christa > wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to this group - I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.
>
> Could someone please clear this up for me? I've been told and have
> read contradicting information about white tea and its caffeine
> counts. Some say it contains the least amount, some say it has the
> most. I don't quite know who to believe anymore!
>
> Thanks!

http://www.whiteteacentral.com/caffeinewhitetea.html

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Google "Nigel Melican" and Caffeine for some correct information on
tea and caffeine

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Helga > writes:

> Google "Nigel Melican" and Caffeine for some correct information on
> tea and caffeine

Amen that.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

What weighs more a gram of White tea or a gram of Black tea. What
that really means is the density of the leaf determined by oxidation
levels ie the more oxidation like Black teas the easier to leach
caffeine because of the density. Think of leaf as a sponge. The
White leaf will be more water logged but normally it will reach a
caffeine saturation point after brewing limits.

Jim

On Dec 20, 11:37 am, Christa > wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to this group - I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.
>
> Could someone please clear this up for me? I've been told and have
> read contradicting information about white tea and its caffeine
> counts. Some say it contains the least amount, some say it has the
> most. I don't quite know who to believe anymore!
>
> Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Christa > wrote:

>Could someone please clear this up for me? I've been told and have
>read contradicting information about white tea and its caffeine
>counts. Some say it contains the least amount, some say it has the
>most. I don't quite know who to believe anymore!

Don't believe any of them.

The problem is.... one white tea might have more caffeine than one black
tea, while another white tea has less and another black tea has more.

On top of that, I might steep a white tea a lot longer than you would,
and I might get a lot more caffeine from the same tea as a result.

The problem is that there's no good field test for caffeine level, so
all you can do is just relax and see how you feel after you drink it.
--scott

How can you tell if tea has caffeine? [email protected] Tea 34 12-12-2007 10:38 AM
Tea and caffeine LurfysMa Tea 10 17-04-2007 08:36 PM
Caffeine Rob Tea 2 11-05-2006 01:27 AM
Low caffeine _D Tea 2 27-03-2006 01:35 AM
How much caffeine in Pu-er? Robert Dunbar Tea 16 01-11-2004 01:02 PM