Joanne Rosen

Default The Jacques Derrida memorial post

Tonite on CBC they had a piece on him by the producer of film about
him-Kaufman
I am sure not may American shave read his works or the
other-"Deconstructionists"
Although not an "intellectual' - i enjoyed his works
Joanne
"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> Apparently you can't be much of an intellectual if you haven't
> finished even one book from the Deconstructionist movement, and I have
> to plead guilty. But there is hope for me, because I've read enough
> of _The Time of Tea_ (photos by Suet, text by Pasqualini) to have
> confidence I'll eventually finish it.
>
> Pasqualini obviously knows a vast amount about tea, even if some of it
> isn't true. But informing the reader in any linear way is very low on
> his agenda. It's the (usually hidden) *meanings* of things he's
> principally after, representations within representations, and the
> pursuit gets pretty dizzying, maddening, even. But there are gems in
> the text, too, like his hymn to gongfu preparation around p. 160
> (sorry, I don't have the book handy.)
>
> Anyway, it was rather amazing the other day to hit what may be the
> climax of the whole book (a page where he quotes both Derrida and
> Proust) on the same day I read Derrida's obituary.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

samarkand

>> Pasqualini obviously knows a vast amount about tea, even if some of it
>> isn't true. But informing the reader in any linear way is very low on
>> his agenda. It's the (usually hidden) *meanings* of things he's
>> principally after, representations within representations, and the
>> pursuit gets pretty dizzying, maddening, even. But there are gems in
>> the text, too, like his hymn to gongfu preparation around p. 160
>> (sorry, I don't have the book handy.)
>>
>> Anyway, it was rather amazing the other day to hit what may be the
>> climax of the whole book (a page where he quotes both Derrida and
>> Proust) on the same day I read Derrida's obituary.

Is that the one on page 153-154, where he writes about Water? My favourite
is near the end of the book,where he quotes Barthes, Roubaud and Laozi
almost in a breath...

Samar

Lewis Perin

"samarkand" > writes:

> >> Pasqualini obviously knows a vast amount about tea, even if some of it
> >> isn't true. But informing the reader in any linear way is very low on
> >> his agenda. It's the (usually hidden) *meanings* of things he's
> >> principally after, representations within representations, and the
> >> pursuit gets pretty dizzying, maddening, even. But there are gems in
> >> the text, too, like his hymn to gongfu preparation around p. 160
> >> (sorry, I don't have the book handy.)
> >>
> >> Anyway, it was rather amazing the other day to hit what may be the
> >> climax of the whole book (a page where he quotes both Derrida and
> >> Proust) on the same day I read Derrida's obituary.
> >>

> Is that the one on page 153-154, where he writes about Water?

Bingo!

> My favourite is near the end of the book,where he quotes Barthes,
> Roubaud and Laozi almost in a breath...

Haven't encountered that yet, but it's something to live for.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

"samarkand" > writes:

> >> Pasqualini obviously knows a vast amount about tea, even if some of it
> >> isn't true. But informing the reader in any linear way is very low on
> >> his agenda. It's the (usually hidden) *meanings* of things he's
> >> principally after, representations within representations, and the
> >> pursuit gets pretty dizzying, maddening, even. But there are gems in
> >> the text, too, like his hymn to gongfu preparation around p. 160
> >> (sorry, I don't have the book handy.)
> >>
> >> Anyway, it was rather amazing the other day to hit what may be the
> >> climax of the whole book (a page where he quotes both Derrida and
> >> Proust) on the same day I read Derrida's obituary.
> >>

> Is that the one on page 153-154, where he writes about Water?

Bingo!

> My favourite is near the end of the book,where he quotes Barthes,
> Roubaud and Laozi almost in a breath...

Haven't encountered that yet, but it's something to live for.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Space Cowboy

Okay did you two gents and the lady know that a coiffure and respirator don't mix?

Jim

> > My favourite is near the end of the book,where he quotes Barthes,
> > Roubaud and Laozi almost in a breath...

> Haven't encountered that yet, but it's something to live for.
>
> /Lew

Space Cowboy

Okay did you two gents and the lady know that a coiffure and respirator don't mix?

Jim

> > My favourite is near the end of the book,where he quotes Barthes,
> > Roubaud and Laozi almost in a breath...

> Haven't encountered that yet, but it's something to live for.
>
> /Lew

Here's a recent post that I can't send. Trying a new post. Gary General Cooking 7 30-10-2012 04:40 AM
Jacques Pepin sf[_9_] General Cooking 6 27-04-2012 07:59 AM
Brix readings on post-crush and post-soak Pinot Noir David Winemaking 3 21-10-2006 08:56 PM
Memorial Post-why not share sascha Barbecue 11 03-02-2005 08:26 AM