pocketdemon

Default Tea @ Cost Plus: World Market

Hello,

After reading the FAQ for this newsgroup, I was inspired to check out
some teas mentioned, namely Assam and Lapsang Souchong.

I went to World Market and after some searching around found what I was
looking for: loose leaf Assam and Lapsang Souchong. I am drinking both
regularly and they taste quite nicely. Then again I have not much to
compare them to.

This is why I wanted to ask the question he Is the Cost Plus: World
Market brand of tea, good tea? I bought both teas for about $4 per 4 oz
or 113 grams. Is this a reasonable price for such teas? Also, does
anyone know if Trader Joe's carrys good tea?

Thanks.
Jules Dubois

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:27:51 -0800, in article
>, pocketdemon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After reading the FAQ for this newsgroup, I was inspired to check out
> some teas mentioned, namely Assam and Lapsang Souchong.
>
> I went to World Market and after some searching around found what I was
> looking for: loose leaf Assam and Lapsang Souchong. I am drinking both
> regularly and they taste quite nicely. Then again I have not much to
> compare them to.
>
> This is why I wanted to ask the question he Is the Cost Plus: World
> Market brand of tea, good tea?

Isn't the important answer the one you gave above: "they taste quite nice"?

Warning: if you like tea, not having "much to compare them to" may be a
benefit in disguise. I used to drink the $2/lb bagged tea from the
supermarket. Now I can't stand the stuff and what I like costs much (or
much, much) more.

> I bought both teas for about $4 per 4 oz
> or 113 grams. Is this a reasonable price for such teas?

It doesn't seem too bad. I've been buying Lipton Green Label ("Finest")
Darjeeling and I like it. I finished a sample of Special Tea's Sungma
Darjeeling, and it's noticably better. At $10/lb versus $45/lb, it's a
tough call.

Why not compare prices with an online vendor or two? I like Special Teas
(www.specialteas.com) and I've read many positive reviews of Upton Tea
(www.uptonteas.com).

> Also, does
> anyone know if Trader Joe's carrys good tea?

I'd bet they do but we ain't got no stinking Trader Joe's here. In a press
release a few months ago, I read they're coming in late 2004.
Ripon

pocketdemon > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> After reading the FAQ for this newsgroup, I was inspired to check out
> some teas mentioned, namely Assam and Lapsang Souchong.
>
> I went to World Market and after some searching around found what I was
> looking for: loose leaf Assam and Lapsang Souchong. I am drinking both
> regularly and they taste quite nicely. Then again I have not much to
> compare them to.
>
> This is why I wanted to ask the question he Is the Cost Plus: World
> Market brand of tea, good tea? I bought both teas for about $4 per 4 oz
> or 113 grams. Is this a reasonable price for such teas? Also, does
> anyone know if Trader Joe's carrys good tea?
>
> Thanks.

First of all I would like to thank you for this practical question. I
think the price you paid is reasonable. But this leads me to another
issue. Most of the us are impressed when we see teas that have exotic
explanations such as- specific estates, organic, exotic grading words
(SFTGFOP 1) etc. And many of us are also willing to pay a huge
mark-up. Some of us even feel ethically we are helping the tea
laborers. But the truth is- the huge margin of profit in the tea
business never reaches the poor laborers.

Most of the tea drinkers are in Asia (at least a billion). And still
tea is a quiet reasonably priced in Asia. Tea is not as expensive as
you see in many on-line vendors web sites. The World Market brands-
Lipton, Tetley, Finley, Duncan Brothers etc. teas are obviously good
because they have their own tea gardens around south Asia. Even
British Twinings sells its tea with quiet reasonable price. But in
the USA, the picture is different. Tea has been so commercialized
there, though few people really drink there (except iced and herbal
teas, I am talking about good loose tea as a hot drink).

About taste I agree with you. Taste doesn't vary so much, yet there is
a huge mark-up for fine variations. I buy my famous Makaibari 1st
flush tea (100 gm) for less then $2 directly from India. I also know
it is very fresh. I feel sad when I see people are spending so much
without even knowing what they are paying for. Some exceptional cases
are there with certain teas but I think they are very rare. Tea
shouldn't be so expensive. I remember one of my tea broker friends was
telling me- how nice it is to have customers like Americans who just
pay extra price without even questioning why it is so high. I am not
blaming any buyers who pay extra money because it is their own choice
but my question is- do they know, why they are paying this extra cost?

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Lewis Perin

Jules Dubois > writes:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:27:51 -0800, in article
> >, pocketdemon wrote:
>
> > [...]

> > I bought both teas for about $4 per 4 oz
> > or 113 grams. Is this a reasonable price for such teas?

> It doesn't seem too bad. I've been buying Lipton Green Label ("Finest")
> Darjeeling and I like it. I finished a sample of Special Tea's Sungma
> Darjeeling, and it's noticably better. At $10/lb versus $45/lb, it's a
> tough call.

Every time I see Lipton Green Label in a South Asian grocery store I'm
tempted. Could you (or anyone else) say in some detail what it
actually tastes like?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Space Cowboy

All things being equal CP is fair value for the money, taste, variety. I
think their Keemun is an excellent bargain. Just remember what you find on
their shelves is available in ethnic stores at half price and tea shoppes at
twice the price. I liked it when their tea was bulk in jars and they
carried a good selection of commercial British teas. However it does save
you from driving all over town.

Jim

"pocketdemon" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> After reading the FAQ for this newsgroup, I was inspired to check out
> some teas mentioned, namely Assam and Lapsang Souchong.
>
> I went to World Market and after some searching around found what I was
> looking for: loose leaf Assam and Lapsang Souchong. I am drinking both
> regularly and they taste quite nicely. Then again I have not much to
> compare them to.
>
> This is why I wanted to ask the question he Is the Cost Plus: World
> Market brand of tea, good tea? I bought both teas for about $4 per 4 oz
> or 113 grams. Is this a reasonable price for such teas? Also, does
> anyone know if Trader Joe's carrys good tea?
>
> Thanks.

Space Cowboy

I've never seen any British commercial tea in any asian store. I get my LGL
in an arabic store. At about $5/250g for their 'Finest' and $17/500g for
their 'Connoisseur' where can you go wrong? Both are blends of Darjeeling
and the price difference reflects the distinctive malty Darjeeling note.
The first is better than hops and the second better than barley. There are
better commercial Darjeelings for the same price. The one I mentioned
before is Lopchu Tea Estate Darjeeling which I've found in more than one
Indian store so it might be in yours. You can never go wrong with Brooke
Bond Supreme and should be a staple in every bomb shelter. All commercial
Darjeelings taste different enough so you'll find one for your taste buds
and pocket book. There is no excuse for an expensive Darjeeling.

Jim

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> Jules Dubois > writes:
> > It doesn't seem too bad. I've been buying Lipton Green Label ("Finest")
> > Darjeeling and I like it. I finished a sample of Special Tea's Sungma
> > Darjeeling, and it's noticably better. At $10/lb versus $45/lb, it's a
> > tough call.

> Every time I see Lipton Green Label in a South Asian grocery store I'm
> tempted. Could you (or anyone else) say in some detail what it
> actually tastes like?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Jules Dubois

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:44:41 GMT, in article
link.net>, Space Cowboy
wrote:

> I've never seen any British commercial tea in any asian store. I get my LGL
> in an arabic store.

I'll look for an Arabic store here. In the past, I visited one in Tucson
with a very nice selection of tea.

> At about $5/250g for their 'Finest' and $17/500g for
> their 'Connoisseur' where can you go wrong?

Another thing to look for!

> The one I mentioned
> before is Lopchu Tea Estate Darjeeling which I've found in more than one
> Indian store so it might be in yours.

Yet another!

> You can never go wrong with Brooke
> Bond Supreme and should be a staple in every bomb shelter.

My memory of BB Supreme is that it's better than Lipton Finest but it's
been months since I've had the BB. At the Indian grocery store in Virginia
Beach -- Swaagat, for those in the area -- the BB was $11/kg and the Lipton
was $5/lb, so that's what I bought.

World Market Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 40 09-07-2011 04:13 AM
World Market Nad R General Cooking 1 06-07-2011 11:20 PM
World Market-Cost Plus - Polenta not under refrigeration Dee Randall General Cooking 4 26-08-2005 03:43 AM
Cost Plus World Market Serendipity General Cooking 6 07-03-2005 09:10 PM
Cost Plus World Market Assam and Darjeeling Loose Teas Blair P. Houghton Tea 0 17-01-2004 01:27 AM