Ripon

Default Mint tea

I have tried many different brands mint tea bags but would love to
know- how to make it fresh. I know, I need to use strong black tea but
how much fresh mint to put? Anyone around here can help me- how to
make fresh mint tea? Season is changing here, I always suffer with
sour throat during this time and drink mint tea. Thank you.

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Derek

It was open stage night in rec.food.drink.tea, when Ripon stepped
up to the microphone and muttered:

> I have tried many different brands mint tea bags but would love
> to know- how to make it fresh. I know, I need to use strong
> black tea but how much fresh mint to put? Anyone around here can
> help me- how to make fresh mint tea? Season is changing here, I
> always suffer with sour throat during this time and drink mint
> tea. Thank you.

That will depend upon what you want. We keep a stock of a mint
herbal on hand (not a true tea) for cold and flu season. It's very
comforting when seasoned with honey.

But a black tea with mint would only add to the frustrations of
trying to sleep when you can't even breathe.

--
Derek

If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it
poorly.
Joanne Rosen

i many times drink just mint tea-
fresh is always best-
a handfull is an inaccurate measurement but usually works for me-
joanne

---

Warren C. Liebold

"Ripon" > asked:

> I have tried many different brands mint tea bags but would love to
> know- how to make it fresh. I know, I need to use strong black tea but
> how much fresh mint to put? Anyone around here can help me- how to
> make fresh mint tea? Season is changing here, I always suffer with
> sour throat during this time and drink mint tea. Thank you.
>
> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

One of the best mint teas I ever drank was from one of the vegetable vendors
at the Union Square Greenmarket in Manhattan. They sold cups of the stuff
iced at a reasonable price and it was great! A mix of peppermint,
spearmint, applemint and a bit of lemon if I remember correctly.

I was able to make a reasonable imitation at home by playing around with the
ingredients a bit.

Warren

cc

Hi Ripon,

> I have tried many different brands mint tea bags but would love to
> know- how to make it fresh. I know, I need to use strong black tea but
> how much fresh mint to put?

You are talking about a special sort of mint tea ? Usually, mint teas I've
drunk were made with green tea.

Here is a recipe of mint as it is served in Morrocco.

Mint tea

First teapot
Ingredients :
3/4 liter of boiling water
1 1/2 tbs of good tea (green tea, like gun powder)
1 handful of leaves and stalks of mint [you need a special sort of mint,
it's called "nana" in Arabic and French and has a flavor very different from
the peppermint and other mints often used fr herb tea and cooking]
150 g of sugar
Preparation :
Rinse the pot with boiling water, add the tea, pour half a glass of boiling
water, turn the pot to make the water rotate and rinse the tea quickly,
discard that water that has taken the bitterness and dust from the tea. Add
the mint and sugar. Brew during 7-8 minutes and serve.

Second pot :
Let tea and mint in the pot, add a ts of tea and a few leaves of mint, 150 g
of sugar. Add 3/4 liters of boiled water. Brew until mint leaves go up to
the surface, stir and serve.

Third pot :
Like the second one.

You can add pine seeds in the glasses before serving.

Link to the post I have translated :
http://tinyurl.com/xj8r

Kuri

Space Cowboy

Arabic brand green teas are readily available usually from Ceylon. With the
ingredients you'll instantly know if you need any dental work. The sickest
I've been in my whole life was layed up a week in Marakesh after eating
skewered kebobs which was probably roasted camel dung.

Jim

"cc" > wrote in message
> Here is a recipe of mint as it is served in Morrocco.
>
> Mint tea
>
> First teapot
> Ingredients :
> 3/4 liter of boiling water
> 1 1/2 tbs of good tea (green tea, like gun powder)
> 1 handful of leaves and stalks of mint [you need a special sort of mint,
> it's called "nana" in Arabic and French and has a flavor very different

from
> the peppermint and other mints often used fr herb tea and cooking]
> 150 g of sugar
> Preparation :
> Rinse the pot with boiling water, add the tea, pour half a glass of

boiling
> water, turn the pot to make the water rotate and rinse the tea quickly,
> discard that water that has taken the bitterness and dust from the tea.

Add
> the mint and sugar. Brew during 7-8 minutes and serve.
>
> Second pot :
> Let tea and mint in the pot, add a ts of tea and a few leaves of mint, 150

> of sugar. Add 3/4 liters of boiled water. Brew until mint leaves go up to
> the surface, stir and serve.
>
> Third pot :
> Like the second one.
>
> You can add pine seeds in the glasses before serving.
>

> Link to the post I have translated :
> http://tinyurl.com/xj8r
>
> Kuri

Ripon

"cc" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Ripon,
>
> > I have tried many different brands mint tea bags but would love to
> > know- how to make it fresh. I know, I need to use strong black tea but
> > how much fresh mint to put?

> You are talking about a special sort of mint tea ? Usually, mint teas I've
> drunk were made with green tea.
>
> Here is a recipe of mint as it is served in Morrocco.

Kuri:

I am used to buy my mint tea bag from a Turkish restaurant and always
got with black tea. Never tried with green tea but sounds exotic to
me. I will try to use Gunpowder green tea with it. I will let you know
the the result soon.

Thank you all for your help.

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Christopher Roberson

cc > wrote:
> Mint tea

> First teapot
> Ingredients :
> 3/4 liter of boiling water
> 1 1/2 tbs of good tea (green tea, like gun powder)
> 1 handful of leaves and stalks of mint [you need a special sort of mint,
> it's called "nana" in Arabic and French and has a flavor very different from
> the peppermint and other mints often used fr herb tea and cooking]

The closest equivalent to nanamint would appear to be spearmint. It
may not be exactly the same, but it's close.

--
Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, '227,
any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address

What to do with a whole lot of mint? Julian Vrieslander[_3_] General Cooking 23 05-01-2011 04:06 AM
Mint Andy[_2_] General Cooking 46 04-06-2007 03:15 PM
Mint-Truffle Ice Cream Terrine With Mint And Chocolate Sauces yankeegrL425 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-10-2005 05:16 AM
MINT-TRUFFLE ICE CREAM TERRINE WITH MINT AND CHOCOLATE SAUCES yankeegrL425 Recipes 0 28-09-2005 03:14 AM
mint elaine General Cooking 1 30-09-2004 03:21 AM