metaperson

Default Tea and brain

Hi, everyone!
Does anyone know exactly what effect tea has on brain?
I'm asking because I heard that tea is an addictive drug.
Of course, its effects may be weak, but sometimes after drinking quite a lot
of tea I experience something strange... Euphoria, maybe... Or something
like mystical experiences.
Is it abnormal?
And is tea really addictive?

Metaperson.

Michael Plant

/29/03

> Hi, everyone!
> Does anyone know exactly what effect tea has on brain?
> I'm asking because I heard that tea is an addictive drug.
> Of course, its effects may be weak, but sometimes after drinking quite a lot
> of tea I experience something strange... Euphoria, maybe... Or something
> like mystical experiences.
> Is it abnormal?

No, it sounds very nice.

Michael

Zephyrus

Michael Plant > wrote in message >...
> /29/03
>
> > Hi, everyone!
> > Does anyone know exactly what effect tea has on brain?
> > I'm asking because I heard that tea is an addictive drug.
> > Of course, its effects may be weak, but sometimes after drinking quite a lot
> > of tea I experience something strange... Euphoria, maybe... Or something
> > like mystical experiences.
> > Is it abnormal?

> No, it sounds very nice.
>
> Michael

Let me start by saying I am *not* qualified to discuss the chemistry
of the situation, and I'd love to be corrected by someone who knows
what they're talking about. This is what I've gathered from drinking
tea and tea books:

I often get light-headed after drinking much tea (sometimes to the
point of not being able to walk, after serious pu-erh gongfu). This
seems like the "euphoria" you describe, and it's very pleasent.
However, I don't concern myself too much about this: certain
polyphenols in tea work as relaxants (not depressants like alchohol,
mind you), and "euphoria" is probably a feeling of great relaxation
(very nice in modern society). This is why tea (esp. green, Oolong, or
decaffinated) can put you to sleep despite its caffine content.

On the other hand, it is possible (though unlikely) that your body
chemistry has a funky reaction to tea, as I've heard of some folks who
get drunk off of tea. Still probably not anything to worry about,
unless you operate heavy machinery. If you take medication, it's also
vaguely possible that tea could be reacting oddly with that (then
again, many things could). Your doctor would be the only one to ask if
you're hugely concerned. Again, these possibilites are really
unlikely.

The only thing I've ever heard of that could possibly be addicting in
tea is caffine, and considering all the caffinated things imbibed and
eaten in our culture, tea is pretty mild. Only pregnant or nursing
women or folks with high caffine sensitivity need worry about it. It's
really hard to get "coffee nerves" off of most teas, partly due to the
relaxing polyphenols and partly owing to the relitively low caffine
content.

I, personally, have to remind myself to drink tea. Doesn't feel overly
addicting. Some days, I accidently go without tea because I forget to
drink any.

Of course, why would it be bad to be addicted to tea? It's relitively
cheap and most of its health effects are beneficial. It's mentally
soothing, it soothes the throat and it relaxes the body. For someone
not overly caffine-sensitive, I can't think of any bad effects of tea.

Just some thoughts. I wouldn't worry.

ZBL
Ennien

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:32:24 +0300, "metaperson"
> wrote:

>Of course, its effects may be weak, but sometimes after drinking quite a lot
>of tea I experience something strange... Euphoria, maybe... Or something
>like mystical experiences.
>Is it abnormal?

Not at all. Tea has long been used to aid meditation and other
practices. Its a cornerstone of certain 'mystic' practices passed
down in my family, because it can have just such an effect.

Since the effect is very mild, during day to day drinking, when we're
concentrating on other things, its felt simply as a pleasant
relaxation. When tea is taken in a more ritualized setting, such as
during meditation or a tea ceremony, the effect is more easily
noticed.

>And is tea really addictive?

Tea contains caffiene and caffiene is addictive.

Hope this helps
Is mise le meas
-==- Katzedecimal

AK

In article >, metaperson wrote:
> Hi, everyone!
> Does anyone know exactly what effect tea has on brain?
> I'm asking because I heard that tea is an addictive drug.
> Of course, its effects may be weak, but sometimes after drinking quite a lot
> of tea I experience something strange... Euphoria, maybe... Or something
> like mystical experiences.
> Is it abnormal?

Typical for drugs. Hence their popularity.

I get the opposite effect, though - I feel markedly "off" if I drink
even one cup of medium-strength tea on empty stomack. It's similar to
eating too much salty food (for me). Or too much refined sugar food.

I only drink tea after a meal.

> And is tea really addictive?

Yes, but you should not be alarmed.. many things are addictive. I think
salt and sugar are. As far as addictive chemicals go, tea is the most
innocent one.

-AK

> Metaperson.

crymad

AK wrote:

> In article >, metaperson wrote:
> > Hi, everyone!
> > Does anyone know exactly what effect tea has on brain?
> > I'm asking because I heard that tea is an addictive drug.
> > Of course, its effects may be weak, but sometimes after drinking quite a lot
> > of tea I experience something strange... Euphoria, maybe... Or something
> > like mystical experiences.
> > Is it abnormal?

> Typical for drugs. Hence their popularity.
>
> I get the opposite effect, though - I feel markedly "off" if I drink
> even one cup of medium-strength tea on empty stomack. It's similar to
> eating too much salty food (for me). Or too much refined sugar food.
>
> I only drink tea after a meal.

Finer green teas like gyokuro are far to precious to spoil by drinking
them after my tastes have been dulled by a meal, I feel. I always drink
them alone, on an empty stomach, and think they taste best this way. If
I am also a little weary, say after a days work, then the tea can
produce that narcotic euphoria that AK speaks of. This isn't the
effects of caffeine, because lesser teas with similar caffeine content
fail to work such magic.

--crymad
Shrewsbury

The Republic of Tea refers to this effect as "teamind".

-rebeccah
"metaperson" > wrote in message
> Hi, everyone!
> Does anyone know exactly what effect tea has on brain?
> I'm asking because I heard that tea is an addictive drug.
> Of course, its effects may be weak, but sometimes after drinking quite a

lot
> of tea I experience something strange... Euphoria, maybe... Or something
> like mystical experiences.
> Is it abnormal?
> And is tea really addictive?
>
> Metaperson.

'Shrooms Are Brain Food Brooklyn1 General Cooking 2 05-02-2017 02:43 PM
brain fog sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 10-12-2014 09:17 PM
halloween brain dip [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-03-2009 02:56 AM
Autopsy to Be Done on Ed Conrad's Brain Bob Casanova General Cooking 0 19-06-2007 01:49 AM
Autopsy to Be Done on Ed Conrad's Brain bob General Cooking 0 18-06-2007 11:26 AM