Zephyrus

Default Tea and brain

Michael Plant > wrote in message >...
> /29/03
>
> > Hi, everyone!
> > Does anyone know exactly what effect tea has on brain?
> > I'm asking because I heard that tea is an addictive drug.
> > Of course, its effects may be weak, but sometimes after drinking quite a lot
> > of tea I experience something strange... Euphoria, maybe... Or something
> > like mystical experiences.
> > Is it abnormal?

> No, it sounds very nice.
>
> Michael

Let me start by saying I am *not* qualified to discuss the chemistry
of the situation, and I'd love to be corrected by someone who knows
what they're talking about. This is what I've gathered from drinking
tea and tea books:

I often get light-headed after drinking much tea (sometimes to the
point of not being able to walk, after serious pu-erh gongfu). This
seems like the "euphoria" you describe, and it's very pleasent.
However, I don't concern myself too much about this: certain
polyphenols in tea work as relaxants (not depressants like alchohol,
mind you), and "euphoria" is probably a feeling of great relaxation
(very nice in modern society). This is why tea (esp. green, Oolong, or
decaffinated) can put you to sleep despite its caffine content.

On the other hand, it is possible (though unlikely) that your body
chemistry has a funky reaction to tea, as I've heard of some folks who
get drunk off of tea. Still probably not anything to worry about,
unless you operate heavy machinery. If you take medication, it's also
vaguely possible that tea could be reacting oddly with that (then
again, many things could). Your doctor would be the only one to ask if
you're hugely concerned. Again, these possibilites are really
unlikely.

The only thing I've ever heard of that could possibly be addicting in
tea is caffine, and considering all the caffinated things imbibed and
eaten in our culture, tea is pretty mild. Only pregnant or nursing
women or folks with high caffine sensitivity need worry about it. It's
really hard to get "coffee nerves" off of most teas, partly due to the
relaxing polyphenols and partly owing to the relitively low caffine
content.

I, personally, have to remind myself to drink tea. Doesn't feel overly
addicting. Some days, I accidently go without tea because I forget to
drink any.

Of course, why would it be bad to be addicted to tea? It's relitively
cheap and most of its health effects are beneficial. It's mentally
soothing, it soothes the throat and it relaxes the body. For someone
not overly caffine-sensitive, I can't think of any bad effects of tea.

Just some thoughts. I wouldn't worry.

ZBL