Warren C. Liebold

Default Where do you generally buy your tea?

What you say absolutely makes complete sense, but the Golden Darjeeling and
Golden Assam are just surprisingly good for the modest price. I haven't
purchased from them very regularly, but when i did I was pleasantly
surprised.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "Warren C. Liebold" > writes:
>
> > Online from Upton and sometimes Adagio.
> >
> > I get In Pursuit of Tea from Real Foods in Manhattan.
> >
> > McNulty's in Greenwich Village carries a variety of packaged teas

(Taylor's
> > & Harrowgate and Fornum & Mason) but they have loose Assam and

Darjeeling
> > that is really quite good as well.

> I wouldn't buy loose tea from them. While I have nothing against
> coffee, the shop is permeated by the aroma of coffee being ground.
> Couple that with the way they store tea in glass jars with
> loose-fitting lids and there's little assurance that what you buy will
> taste right.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

John

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:02:27 -0500, ws wrote:

> Just a little curious. Do most of you purchase from online stores? Which
> ones? Or do most of you purchase from stores near where you live?

Brick & Mortar Answer:

Where I live, brick and mortar shops (generally places that sell tea as a
secondary product to coffee) generally sell sub-par tea at inflated
prices. There is an international grocer nearby that sells products from
around the world that has quite a selection of tea. When I first found
this place I was excited about the wide assortment. However, most of
what I've tried has been not to my liking except for a very affordable
Assam (at $0.01US per gram) which I drink occasionally and mid-range (in
taste) Dragonwell. I also picked up some nice Japanese greens at a
Japanese grocer in Cary, NC last year but it is a bit of drive (>1000
miles). If I ever get anywhere close to Edgewater, NJ, I'd probably go
broke. Luckily, a friend of mine, goes to Japan occasionally and always
brings back an interesting selection.

Online Answer:

Dens Tea for various Japanese Greens
Special Teas for various Oolongs, Chinese Greens & Loose-Leaf Pu-erh

I've also ordered from Capital Tea (in Toronto), Adagio, & TenRen.

PS If anyone knows of an online source for Kanematsu (sp?) Tea Company's
offerings, please share.
Lewis Perin

"Warren C. Liebold" > writes:
> "Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
> news
> > "Warren C. Liebold" > writes:
> >
> > [...McNulty's tea storage is substandard...]
> >

> What you say absolutely makes complete sense, but the Golden Darjeeling and
> Golden Assam are just surprisingly good for the modest price. I haven't
> purchased from them very regularly, but when i did I was pleasantly
> surprised.

I forgot to add that there's another bricks & mortar shop in Greenwich
Village that stores tea better: Porto Rico Cofee & Tea on Bleecker
just east of Sixth.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Tee King

On 01 Oct 2003 10:27:11 -0400, Lewis Perin > tripped
the light fantastic, then quipped:

>> > "Warren C. Liebold" > writes:
>> > [...McNulty's tea storage is substandard...]
>> >

>> What you say absolutely makes complete sense, but the Golden Darjeeling and
>> Golden Assam are just surprisingly good for the modest price. I haven't
>> purchased from them very regularly, but when i did I was pleasantly
>> surprised.

>I forgot to add that there's another bricks & mortar shop in Greenwich
>Village that stores tea better: Porto Rico Cofee & Tea on Bleecker
>just east of Sixth.
>/Lew

I've ordered Ceylon Kenilworth, Golden Yunnan, and Keemun 1st Grade
(?) from Porto Rico's web site (www.portorico.com. I am very pleased
with the tea's freshness, the more than affordable price, and the
speed in which it was shipped.

Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove no-spam to email me.
Joseph Kubera

> I am very pleased
>with the tea's freshness, the more than affordable price, and the
>speed in which it was shipped.

Porto Rico (in the Village) was one place I bought my tea before I heard the
siren call of the online tea places.

I was shopping for greens, and thought their Organic Hairpoint Green was the
best of their offerings. The last time I bought it, though, the batch seemed
tainted by an "off," smokey flavor that wasn't there before.

I have not tried their blacks, and my memory of their oolongs has faded.

Their prices are indeed quite reasonable.

The teas I bought at McNulty's always seemed subpar, but notice of late they
have a "premium" area with a few teas like whites, Darjeelings, etc. These are
still, however, stored in the familiar glass canisters. Haven't tried 'em.

Joe

Ripon

I generally buy my tea directly from the origin of the country
throught my friends. I am from Bangladesh, and India,
Srilanka,Nepal,China all countries are not so far where i stay. I
always manage Srilankan, indian, nepalese tea fresh. But yes for
chinese tea i depend on on-line vendors such as uptontea(recently not
so happy with their service anymore), Imperialtea,gray&seddon. But
trying to get some direct connection from China. This way I also save
a lot of money. The reason i am saying because Bangladesh is also a
tea growing country and i have visited many tea estate in
Bangladesh,India and Srilanka. I have found one thing
Unfortunatly the real tea grower companies never get the good price
except some brokers. So I always prefer to buy directly from the
country. I am not sure but my understanding is on-line vendors minimum
make 150% profit on this business. One of my friend also own tea
garden and he always supply fresh indian and bangladeshi tea to me. He
always express his anger to me, how this on-line tea vendors are
making so much where as a grower they get little profit. All you need
to check couple of on-line tea vendor and take some time to order.
About shop well, same as Lew, I don't prefer to buy from them.

Ripon.
TeaFun

(ws) wrote in message om>...
> Just a little curious. Do most of you purchase from online stores?
> Which ones? Or do most of you purchase from stores near where you
> live?

We come from the city of Taiwan where is a beautful city and grow tea
everywhere.It also provites more than a half amount of taiwan teas .We
hope to provide the cheapest and hightest quality tea for everone who
likes it as us.<br>

In taiwan we also sale in
http://teafun.adsldns.org/index.htm
in Yahoo http://tw.user.bid.yahoo.com/tw/user/shan6212
in Ebay http://
If you can read chinese character, you can order in this adress or we
will translate in a few days. Many people fell our tea tasts great and
leave messages on the web. So you can refer and compare.<br>
We want to do a long time trad not a short time on ebay so we must
provite the nice products.We have many kinds of products include
OOLONG,JIN SIAN,SIJI and many competition tea(3 gread reward,2 gread
reward,etc).<br>
THE TEA FUN KING TEA(LIKE 913 AND 919) PRICE IS ""28$/300G""<br>
THE OTHER TEA PRICE IS FOR 600G
our tea price is the same in Taiwan<BR>
my cell phone call number is 0910946649-taiwan