Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default tea-related art exhibit in DC

In case anyone is in the DC area and interested, there is a small
exhibit at the Freer Gallery (part of the Smithsonian, and thus free)
on kintsugi--the art of mending ceramics (e.g., tea bowls) with gold.
I've been meaning to go for some time, and now there is a review of
the exhibit in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...res1&hpv=local

The Freer often has interesting exhibits like this. A while back, they
had a small exhibit of tea bowls and other tea items to commemorate
the 100th anniversary of Okakura Kakuzo's The Book of Tea. The museum
is nice and small, perfect for a quick trip. Or you can stay longer
and swing your visit through the Sackler, which is connected
underground to the Freer.

-cha bing
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My local tea shoppe is showing the Meaning Of Tea today. You can tell
it is New Age crap. The only reason Im going is because I dont drink
water.

Jim

"The film presents a seamless world-view on the spiritual aspects of
tea; which is second only to water in consumption worldwide. Director,
Scott Chamberlin Hoyt traveled through eight countries filming tea
producers, distributors and drinkers to capture the uniquely ancient
and timeless quality of the beverage most often made from the plant
known as "camellia senensis."
To date the film has been accepted into eight film festivals world-
wide: RenderyardFilm Festival in London; the Wisconsin Film Festival
in Madison, Wisconsin; theGarden State Film Festival in Asbury Park,
NJ, the International Film FestivalSouth Africa in Capetown, the Bayou
InspirationalFilmFestival, Maine FilmFestival and the Southern Tour.
Hoyt views the film as the beginning of a movement to reduce the
stresses of our "amped-up high-tech world by encouraging people tohave
a cup of tea."
Music of Tea is a soothing compilation of original music from the
soundtrack of Hoyt's film. The fifty-one minute collection scored by
Joel Douek and Eric Czar wasinspired by world music played by the
instruments of India, China, Japan, Morocco, Europe as well as the
American folk tradition. Besides sixteen inspirational instrumentals
with hints of natural sounds, this CD offers two additional bonus
tracks: Marco Polo by Loreena McKinnett aswell as an original song,
"Tea, SD—Living Easy" with lyrics by Danna Rosenthal and sung by
Hillary Fortin.
The Meaning of Tea I found people who had a deep connection with the
earth,
with growing things and who understood the relationship between
heaven, earthand man. Tea joins us. And having a conversation over a
cup of tea is the most basicof rituals throughout the world."

On Mar 3, 8:46 pm, cha bing > wrote:
> In case anyone is in the DC area and interested, there is a small
> exhibit at the Freer Gallery (part of the Smithsonian, and thus free)
> on kintsugi--the art of mending ceramics (e.g., tea bowls) with gold.
> I've been meaning to go for some time, and now there is a review of
> the exhibit in the Washington Post:
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...09/03/02/AR200...
>
> The Freer often has interesting exhibits like this. A while back, they
> had a small exhibit of tea bowls and other tea items to commemorate
> the 100th anniversary of Okakura Kakuzo's The Book of Tea. The museum
> is nice and small, perfect for a quick trip. Or you can stay longer
> and swing your visit through the Sackler, which is connected
> underground to the Freer.
>
> -cha bing

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My review. Doesnt the FBI warning I saw mention something about not
for commercial use unless scones and tea are excluded. I only watch
the premium movie channels on satellite. The music from each country
was decent. The tabla and sitar had a nice Shankar like rhythm. I
forget the name of the Chinese 4 string instrument accompanied by
other instruments. Demur ladies playing for a guy in a white robe as
he drinks tea and contemplates. I probably would have bought the sound
track but none for sale. I learned more about Darjeeling tea estates
than watching the Express. Gorgeous mountain valley views with the
tea terrace growing almost vertical up the side of a mountain accessed
from a narrow foot path and a ladder. Scary. Factories still run by
British steam engines from the 1900s. Everything hand processed like
whithering vats till reduction in leaf grade. I have a new
appreciation for Indian tea. Sociology monks begging for tea.
Science youd live longer on a desert island with water and tea than
water alone. History Morocco use to drink coffee till the British
introduced tea in 1900. As one tea stand mentioned if tea doesnt foam
it isnt any good. Dont worry that is a chemical reaction with the
mint and sugar (I assume). A master potter in China will make you a
pot for every tea you drink. I dont think he is cheap. Anybody and
everybody in every tea consuming country got to talk about the
tranquility and inner peace of making tea. James Norwood Pratt got to
speak for the West. The guy is from another planet. The British
owner mentioned from the start he wished the guy would shut up.
Buddha woke up from enlightenment laughed and had a cup of tea.
Somebody said you would have to make mindful cups of tea for 20 years
before entering this state. I agree. A Taiwan tea grower said in a
lifetime you might taste a tea that shakes you to the core. He can
count on one hand the number of times it happened to him. That
happened to me recently. I dont wont to drink it again for fear of
breaking the spell. Nobody knows if the old ways of thinking about
tea can survive. Boba saved the Taiwan tea industry from collapse. I
exaggerate. Juveniles in shoppes have tapioca spitball fights. I kid
you not. Thirty something Japanese have never tasted tea. Their
industry admits they have a problem. Silver tea pots in Britain are
no longer affordable. Porcelain wont do. Tea,SD has a Sunday
afternoon tea for tourists. Its not that far from here.

Jim