Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Vital Leaf Tea - a Follow Up to: Some Bay Area tea shops

I found this thread

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...21c35861f5579c

And the follow up comments on comments while looking for anything on
Vital Leaf Tea in San Francisco.

I was by there yesterday, the 19th. I agree with the comments on it
being smack on the end of tourist row in Chinatown, I found it because
I was tooling through on the bike and trying to find some tea while in
town.

I also agree with a bit of concern about the (well, some of the)
selection being in big glass jars; but then the tin they pulled my
puerh from was, er a tin. I'd think you'd almost _have_ to put the
wares on display like that to compliment the business model of having
'looky-loos' and the odd passerby stop in and get interested.

As for the actual tea I am only able to report I purchased a small
amount of some wood bridge puerh loose leaf, I've only had the one cup
this morning (without proper technique, I am sure). I find it earthy
and complex and worth investigating in a better manner, following the
instructions the sales staff provided.

Things I didn't like:
- The location is great (accessible to discovery), but it is
'touristy' by default.
- Tea buds in glass jars are a dual edge sword of light to see and
light to oxidize.
- Hmmm, not too much to report on my 1st visit, quick as it was
things I didn't like.

Things I did like
- The staff seemed knowledgeable.
- The selection, while initially intimidating, was also exciting to
contemplate.
- The offer to taste for free is working as an enticement, I had not
enough time that 1st day to accept.
- The ladies behind the counter were lovely to look at and I'm not
going to lie, I liked it. I'd go back even if it weren't so, but
still...

I'm not accomplished nor experienced enough to be any kind of
connoisseur but like the guys said "I might not know Art, but I know
what I like...".

In this case I'd just as soon find a hole in the wall place with a
wizened character with enough time to teach me things and enjoy tea
with. Lacking a mythical Yoda like mentor I'll keep looking around,
exploring and stopping by this place to plumb it's depths a bit more.

TBerk
huh, did I write all that?...

For a mid priced range used clothing shopping experience, searchresale shops in your area. Resale shops offer all price ranges for usedclothing and are often more organized than a flea market or thrift store. Besure to have your children try the clot [email protected] General Cooking 0 21-04-2008 12:14 PM
Full brisket, Sacramento area: FOLLOW UP Zz Yzx Barbecue 31 30-01-2008 09:17 PM
Green tea leaf particle and leaf size Tea Sunrise Tea 14 24-09-2007 08:24 PM
Some Bay Area tea shops DogMa Tea 9 05-03-2007 02:01 PM
Some Bay Area tea shops DogMa Tea 1 30-01-2007 10:49 AM