Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Why most of chinese like eating noodles ?

Dear all,

Noodles is a a legendary dishes.
Review the below to find out.

http://food-n-beverages.blogspot.com/

Tks

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 3, 5:32 am, sharing info > wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Noodles is a a legendary dishes.
> Review the below to find out.
>
> http://food-n-beverages.blogspot.com/
>
> Tks

I think Lo-Mein comes from Fujian province. I had that regularly when
I was a kid in Malaysia. Very delicious, but I have never found it in
the Western countries.

I didn't come across Chow-mein until I came over to UK. The word is
derived from Cantonese. It just means stir-fried noodles.

There are 101 ways how noodles can be stir-fried, and not just the
Western Chinese take-away style.

I think the starting point is to discuss what the noodles are made of.
As far I am away, they can be made of

wheat (I think, but not sure)
rice (ho fan, lau shi fan varieties)
and more rarely tapioca (hong shu) - which is deliciuos

A vastly interesting topic by itself.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 3, 12:32 pm, sharing info > wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Noodles is a a legendary dishes.
> Review the below to find out.
>
> http://food-n-beverages.blogspot.com/
>
> Tks

i think most noodle in china has a story behind it, when i was
travelling back then each noodle has a story..usually about the
emperor or some story between husband and wife

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 3, 12:32 am, sharing info > wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Noodles is a a legendary dishes.
> Review the below to find out.
>
> http://food-n-beverages.blogspot.com/
>
> Tks

* Lame blog
* Not about tea
* Please post on rec.food.dumb.blogs, not here

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

juliantai > writes:

> On Aug 3, 5:32 am, sharing info > wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Noodles is a a legendary dishes.
> > Review the below to find out.
> >
> > http://food-n-beverages.blogspot.com/
> >
> > Tks

> I think Lo-Mein comes from Fujian province. I had that regularly when
> I was a kid in Malaysia. Very delicious, but I have never found it in
> the Western countries.

Come to New York, where lo mein is as common as pizza!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It's common along with stir-fry rice in our Chinese Buck-A-Scoop hole-
in-the-wall diners around town. The Buck is now inflated with an
additional thirty cents since they first appeared 5 years ago. You
want plenty of cheap stir-fry its the only place to go. I wished one
was close by.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> juliantai > writes:
> > I think Lo-Mein comes from Fujian province. I had that regularly when
> > I was a kid in Malaysia. Very delicious, but I have never found it in
> > the Western countries.

> Come to New York, where lo mein is as common as pizza!
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2007-08-03 02:41:23 -0500, juliantai > said:

> I think Lo-Mein comes from Fujian province. I had that regularly when
> I was a kid in Malaysia. Very delicious, but I have never found it in
> the Western countries.

In any even halfway decent Chinese Restaurant in the United States, Lo
Mein is a staple of the menu.
--
Aaron Hsu >

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he
could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 2, 9:32 pm, sharing info > wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Noodles is a a legendary dishes.
> Review the below to find out.
>
> http://food-n-beverages.blogspot.com/
>
> Tks

Actually this IS a lame blog and has nothing to do with tea.
However, if you want to read about Chinese noodles and Chinese food in
general, one of our own teaheads has a great blog - (Soupnoodles)
www.soupnoodles.com and he is a tea junkie.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Shen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 2, 9:32 pm, sharing info > wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Noodles is a a legendary dishes.
>> Review the below to find out.
>>
>> http://food-n-beverages.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Tks

> Actually this IS a lame blog and has nothing to do with tea.
> However, if you want to read about Chinese noodles and Chinese food in
> general, one of our own teaheads has a great blog - (Soupnoodles)
> www.soupnoodles.com and he is a tea junkie.
> Shen

Thanks for that link Shen, I'm always on the lookout for blogs like that.

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis/Jim/Aaron

Opp... thanks for pointing out.

In the Fujian style in Malaysia, we tend to add vnegar to the noodle
to make it taste good.

Julian

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 3, 12:32 pm, sharing info > wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Noodles is a a legendary dishes.
> Review the below to find out.
>
> http://food-n-beverages.blogspot.com/
>
> Tks

As an aside, noodles are eaten more by "Northerners" as their "main
food" instead of rice; as said by Southerners. Fujian does have their
special noodle variety from Sha Xian, but as with the rest of the
"Southern people", they prefer to eat rice with their meals instead of
noodles.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I think you might be slightly confused there.

When a northerner says mian, it refers mainly to jiaozi (northern
style dumpling), not noodle.

When my father in law came to visit in UK and I cook him noodles, he
absolutely hated it. He wanted northern style rice, which
unfortunately is unavailable in the UK.

I still haven't come across a northern style dish that I can swear to,
with the exception of jiaozi.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 6, 5:23 am, juliantai > wrote:
> I think you might be slightly confused there.
>
> When a northerner says mian, it refers mainly to jiaozi (northern
> style dumpling), not noodle.
>
> When my father in law came to visit in UK and I cook him noodles, he
> absolutely hated it. He wanted northern style rice, which
> unfortunately is unavailable in the UK.
>
> I still haven't come across a northern style dish that I can swear to,
> with the exception of jiaozi.

Sorry, you are wrong. It's a fact that most Northern Chinese eat
noodles to accompany their food instead of rice. In the Western
provinces, rice is served after meals as a filler in case you are not
full. It is only in the Southern provinces that rice is the staple
food and is served with dinner.

Depends on which North you are talking about. Some people say Henan
is North and some of their popular dishes there are cold noodles with
cumin and a whole variety of different "bing" (cakes..just like tea
cake); they also prefer thinly sliced beef dipped into vinegar and
garlic. Shandong people (some consider it "North" but I'm not sure
why) like sour and salty. In the far North, a popular dish is tofu
skin rolled around spring onions and dipped in a sauce made from egg
and some perserved beans with lots of salt.

In Beijing, (bei meaning North; jing meaning capital) there is the
most famous Beijing duck.

Dumplings are eaten all over China. The most delicious I have ever
eaten were made by some of my students and us together; they all hail
from Jiangxi.

I think you may be slightly confused by a conversation with one single
Chinese person that may or may not have even left his own province. I
live in China.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

juliantai > wrote:

>In the Fujian style in Malaysia, we tend to add vnegar to the noodle
>to make it taste good.

And chili oil! Don't forget the chili oil!
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Depends on which North you are talking about. Some people say Henan
> is North and some of their popular dishes there are cold noodles with
> cumin and a whole variety of different "bing" (cakes..just like tea
> cake); they also prefer thinly sliced beef dipped into vinegar and
> garlic. Shandong people (some consider it "North" but I'm not sure
> why) like sour and salty. In the far North, a popular dish is tofu
> skin rolled around spring onions and dipped in a sauce made from egg
> and some perserved beans with lots of salt.

Any parts north of Yellow river is north. Although I will also
consider Henanese north.
They just act north.

> Dumplings are eaten all over China. The most delicious I have ever
> eaten were made by some of my students and us together; they all hail
> from Jiangxi.

There are two kinds of dumpling. The north is called jiaozi, the south
is called yuntun.

It really depends on what they like to eat. Some still eat a lot of
rice. Some eat mian, which can mean jiaozi, xiao long bao etc,
basically anything that is made from mian (which doesn't necessarily
mean noodle)..

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> And chili oil! Don't forget the chili oil!
> --scott

I have a whole lots of chilli yesterday and my stomach is hurting!

Julian

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

juliantai > wrote:
>> And chili oil! Don't forget the chili oil!

>I have a whole lots of chilli yesterday and my stomach is hurting!

There is only one thing that will help this: more chilies. And tea.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

Why most of italians like eating pasta ?

www.i-need-to-spam-with-my-blog.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Any parts north of Yellow river is north. Although I will also
> consider Henanese north.
> They just act north.

Not all Chinese consider this distinction.

> There are two kinds of dumpling. The north is called jiaozi, the south
> is called yuntun.

Yuntun is a type of dumpling found in the South eaten in a type of
soup usually but it's not the only dumpling eaten here. Jiaozi are
also found here and widely eaten especially by the millions of
migrants that came here to make their money and go home. To clarify,
not all dumplings here are Yuntun; it's only one style.

> It really depends on what they like to eat. Some still eat a lot of
> rice. Some eat mian, which can mean jiaozi, xiao long bao etc,
> basically anything that is made from mian (which doesn't necessarily
> mean noodle)..

Mian or means noodles. Jiaozi or means dumplings. Your
xiaolongbao or means steamed meat buns. I do not understand why
you fail to see this distinction. These dishes are not made from
noodles but they are made using flour or . If you live in the North
and ask for Mian, you will ALWAYS get noodles. I've been to and lived
in the North. Trust me.

Your views of Chinese culture come from a very narrow perspective, I
gather.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

CEDICT agrees with Mian and JiaoZi. They show XiaoLongBao means
steamed dumplings.

Jim

Mydnight wrote:
> Mian or means noodles. Jiaozi or means dumplings. Your
> xiaolongbao or means steamed meat buns.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Your views of Chinese culture come from a very narrow perspective, I
> gather.

I am just repeating my wife who is from that part of the world

Smile and be happy, that is all I wish for you

Honestly, if Dongguan is a s*** hole, go somewhere you will enjoy
more.
:

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 7, 10:55 pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> CEDICT agrees with Mian and JiaoZi. They show XiaoLongBao means
> steamed dumplings.

XiaoLongBao is like steamed buns with meat inside. Trust me. Quite
tasty.

I just wish they ate that more in Guangdong.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 3:40 am, juliantai > wrote:
> > Your views of Chinese culture come from a very narrow perspective, I
> > gather.

> I am just repeating my wife who is from that part of the world

Not to be brash or forward, but that was exactly what I was meaning.
Most Chinese people consider themselves a plethora of knowledge about
the whole of China; a landmass with more different cultures and
languages than Europe. They automatically and 100 percent believe
stereotypes and will argue with someone into the ground that they are
right. You are the foreigner forever and could never possibly
understand. Seeing a culture through the eyes of one person that is
from one part of China is narrow.

Like I get told daily by the Chinese that people from my "native"
Sichuan ONLY eat spicy food everyday and that ALL food in Sichuan is
spicy. Most of the people that tell me this have never even been to
Sichuan or perhaps don't even know one single person from Sichuan, so
how do they know? Someone told them and they believed it. It's the
nature of the beast: the CCP.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 10:40 am, Mydnight > wrote:

> Like I get told daily by the Chinese that people from my "native"
> Sichuan ONLY eat spicy food everyday and that ALL food in Sichuan is
> spicy. Most of the people that tell me this have never even been to
> Sichuan or perhaps don't even know one single person from Sichuan, so
> how do they know? Someone told them and they believed it. It's the
> nature of the beast: the CCP.

Sorry for jumping in here but maybe you could tell me the chinese name
of my favorite Sichuanese dish which is bamboo shoots in chili oil w/
garlic and fresh coriander. I could get it almost anywhere in northern
Yunnan and south Sichuan.

TIA, Karsten [Ostfriesean blend in tazza]

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Agree. It is human nature, the mind finds it too hard to cope with
complexity, and so easily goes for simple stereotypes, I fall for that
all the time too

Julian

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Sorry for jumping in here but maybe you could tell me the chinese name
> of my favorite Sichuanese dish which is bamboo shoots in chili oil w/
> garlic and fresh coriander. I could get it almost anywhere in northern
> Yunnan and south Sichuan.

Could you be a little more specific? Is it a hot or a cold dish for
instance?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 4:26 pm, Mydnight > wrote:
> Could you be a little more specific? Is it a hot or a cold dish for
> instance?

Most of the times I ordered it, it came kinda lukewarm - if that makes
sense. I can imagine that the spiced oil is freshly prepared and
allowed to cool down allowing the bamboo to marinate.
Just thin, tender bamboo shoots, cut into long stripes, wonderful red
chili oil which, telling from the taste sometimes contained Sichuan
pepper as well and in some cases a little dash of vinegar. There was
always some garlic involved, sometimes visible pieces, at other times
most probably ingredient of that spiced oil. Then again sometimes the
dish was topped with a little coarsely ground Sichuan pepper and
chopped Cilantro, sometimes just with Cilantro.
Deeeelicious.

Karsten ["High" tea w/ Twinings E. Breakfast]

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Most of the times I ordered it, it came kinda lukewarm - if that makes
> sense. I can imagine that the spiced oil is freshly prepared and
> allowed to cool down allowing the bamboo to marinate.
> Just thin, tender bamboo shoots, cut into long stripes, wonderful red
> chili oil which, telling from the taste sometimes contained Sichuan
> pepper as well and in some cases a little dash of vinegar. There was
> always some garlic involved, sometimes visible pieces, at other times
> most probably ingredient of that spiced oil. Then again sometimes the
> dish was topped with a little coarsely ground Sichuan pepper and
> chopped Cilantro, sometimes just with Cilantro.
> Deeeelicious.

I've seen this dish served in several different ways. I've seen it
cold and served as an appetizer; I've also had as an entree hot. I am
unsure if there is any specific name other than (zhu sun; bamboo
shoots) or perhaps (ma la zhu sun; spicy); there more than likely
some different localized names for it.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I've asked a few of my friends and
they have about the same answer as I do. Then again, we are from the
North East portion of Sichuan; not the South.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Sorry I can't be more specific. I've asked a few of my friends and
> they have about the same answer as I do. Then again, we are from the
> North East portion of Sichuan; not the South.

zhu sun

and

ma la zhu sun

Apparently didn't show up above. Don't know why.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 6:05 pm, Mydnight > wrote:

Many thanks so far.
I tried to cook it over here, but since I couldn´t get those young,
tender shoots, gave it up after some tries, sniff ...

Karsten [xxx Eastfrisean blend]

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2007-08-08, Mydnight > wrote:
> On Aug 7, 10:55 pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:

>> CEDICT agrees with Mian and JiaoZi. They show XiaoLongBao means
>> steamed dumplings.

> XiaoLongBao is like steamed buns with meat inside. Trust me. Quite
> tasty.

It's "bun" shaped, but it's a dumpling type skin, preferably a fairly
thin one, and there is some "soup" at the top (the "soup" is more or
less pork gelatin, as I understand it). Not a bun as most people in the
US imagine it (a raised dough, bready type thing).

Literally means "small dragon bun". Often translated to English as "soup
dumpling".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaolongbao explains more about why it's
considered a bun.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 2:20 pm, Will Yardley >
wrote:
> On 2007-08-08, Mydnight > wrote:
>
> > On Aug 7, 10:55 pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> >> CEDICT agrees with Mian and JiaoZi. They show XiaoLongBao means
> >> steamed dumplings.

> > XiaoLongBao is like steamed buns with meat inside. Trust me. Quite
> > tasty.

> It's "bun" shaped, but it's a dumpling type skin, preferably a fairly
> thin one, and there is some "soup" at the top (the "soup" is more or
> less pork gelatin, as I understand it). Not a bun as most people in the
> US imagine it (a raised dough, bready type thing).
>
> Literally means "small dragon bun". Often translated to English as "soup
> dumpling".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaolongbaoexplains more about why it's
> considered a bun.

Not dragon - that is a similar character but actually means 'basket',
and it is what the steamer trays are called.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> It's "bun" shaped, but it's a dumpling type skin, preferably a fairly
> thin one, and there is some "soup" at the top (the "soup" is more or
> less pork gelatin, as I understand it). Not a bun as most people in the
> US imagine it (a raised dough, bready type thing).

Nope. XiaoLongBao is made from bread; like the same bread that is
made from flour and just like ManTou . The true xiaolongbao is made
with bread, not dumpling skin. The Cantonese have adapted it for
their dimsum made with dumpling skin, but the original is flour based.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

mmmm id like some good bao

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

CEDICT shows the dragon character. WIKI shows the basket character.
I'm going to the store today to pick up some roasted vegetable
dumplings. I'm sure I've seen these also. If so I'll check those
characters else double check with the Internet.

Jim