Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Revisiting an old friend

For the past week or so, I developed a strong craving for Red Rose
tea. Whenever I see a package of it, I am reminded of my
grandparents, as it is the brand that they always used. Even when I
was a very small child too young to drink tea, I remember that box of
Red Rose tea bags that came out of the cabinet every afternoon when it
was time to put the kettle on. They were the only people I knew who
didn't drink Lipton. I was a die-hard Red Rose drinker all my life,
until about two years ago when I started drinking English brands like
PG Tips. The English teas are stronger, so I began adding milk like
the English do.

Maybe I am just feeling nostalgic this week; I don't really know why
but finally tonight I had to go into the supermarket and buy some Red
Rose. I got home and made a small pot, letting it steep for a full
five minutes, and then I drank it without milk or sugar. It was
refreshing and delicious, although a bit lacking in body compared to
PG Tips. Tasting it again brought back many happy childhood memories,
and a tinge of sadness as my grandparents are no longer with us.

I guess I will always have a strong emotional bond to this brand of
tea. Though it may not be to everyone's taste, it is really not a bad
tea -- certainly it is by far the best that can be found on the
shelves of American supermarkets. I can't say that I will drink it
exclusively in the future, but I think I will have to make it a point
to drink it more often and to keep some on hand for when I'm feeling
nostalgic.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 14, 11:18 pm, Fran > wrote:
> For the past week or so, I developed a strong craving for Red Rose
> tea. Whenever I see a package of it, I am reminded of my
> grandparents, as it is the brand that they always used. Even when I
> was a very small child too young to drink tea, I remember that box of
> Red Rose tea bags that came out of the cabinet every afternoon when it
> was time to put the kettle on. They were the only people I knew who
> didn't drink Lipton. I was a die-hard Red Rose drinker all my life,
> until about two years ago when I started drinking English brands like
> PG Tips. The English teas are stronger, so I began adding milk like
> the English do.
>
> Maybe I am just feeling nostalgic this week; I don't really know why
> but finally tonight I had to go into the supermarket and buy some Red
> Rose. I got home and made a small pot, letting it steep for a full
> five minutes, and then I drank it without milk or sugar. It was
> refreshing and delicious, although a bit lacking in body compared to
> PG Tips. Tasting it again brought back many happy childhood memories,
> and a tinge of sadness as my grandparents are no longer with us.
>
> I guess I will always have a strong emotional bond to this brand of
> tea. Though it may not be to everyone's taste, it is really not a bad
> tea -- certainly it is by far the best that can be found on the
> shelves of American supermarkets. I can't say that I will drink it
> exclusively in the future, but I think I will have to make it a point
> to drink it more often and to keep some on hand for when I'm feeling
> nostalgic.

There is no shame in that. I have a strong emotional bond to my
grandmother's brand - King Cole, which I believe is available only in
the Maritimes in Canada, if at all anymore. Even seeing a box takes
me back.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 14, 11:18 pm, Fran > wrote:
> For the past week or so, I developed a strong craving for Red Rose
> tea. Whenever I see a package of it, I am reminded of my
> grandparents, as it is the brand that they always used. Even when I
> was a very small child too young to drink tea, I remember that box of
> Red Rose tea bags that came out of the cabinet every afternoon when it
> was time to put the kettle on. They were the only people I knew who
> didn't drink Lipton. I was a die-hard Red Rose drinker all my life,
> until about two years ago when I started drinking English brands like
> PG Tips. The English teas are stronger, so I began adding milk like
> the English do.
>
> Maybe I am just feeling nostalgic this week; I don't really know why
> but finally tonight I had to go into the supermarket and buy some Red
> Rose. I got home and made a small pot, letting it steep for a full
> five minutes, and then I drank it without milk or sugar. It was
> refreshing and delicious, although a bit lacking in body compared to
> PG Tips. Tasting it again brought back many happy childhood memories,
> and a tinge of sadness as my grandparents are no longer with us.
>
> I guess I will always have a strong emotional bond to this brand of
> tea. Though it may not be to everyone's taste, it is really not a bad
> tea -- certainly it is by far the best that can be found on the
> shelves of American supermarkets. I can't say that I will drink it
> exclusively in the future, but I think I will have to make it a point
> to drink it more often and to keep some on hand for when I'm feeling
> nostalgic.

Nothing wrong at all, I can enjoy some Red Rose and Salada every now
and then myself. I usually add some turbinado sugar. My mother would
normally have one or the other in the house all the time while I was
growing up, and I still enjoy it on occasions and iced.

They are consistent teas, and as much as they may be snubbed, there is
a lot to be said for that. I also enjoy the yellow tin jasmine tea
unapologetically every now and then too, and I still manage to hold my
head high and the Earth didn't stop spinning. Enjoy what you like,
whether it cost $0.10 a cup or $10.

- Dominic