Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default stranded without red rose in Boston

I am a Canadian staying in Boston for a while and miss Red Rose tea. Do
any Bostonians or otehrs in thius area know of a good alternative and
where you can buy quality loose tea in the Greater Boston area?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Skookum wrote:
> I am a Canadian staying in Boston for a while and miss Red Rose tea. Do
> any Bostonians or otehrs in thius area know of a good alternative and
> where you can buy quality loose tea in the Greater Boston area?

A local shop that is reliable, but not dirt cheap, is Tealux. They
have a store on Newbury Street (crossroad is Dartmouth, if I remembered
correctly). They also have a store in Harvard Square. Ask around if
you need directions, most people should know. That's probably your
best bet.

There's also a store on Newbury that sells Sri Lankan teas, loose.
They're not bad, although it's upstairs and is a bit harder to find. I
forgot their exact location.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Skookum > wrote:
>I am a Canadian staying in Boston for a while and miss Red Rose tea. Do
>any Bostonians or otehrs in thius area know of a good alternative and
>where you can buy quality loose tea in the Greater Boston area?

There is Tealuxe, which has a small selection and is very expensive, but
has some quality stuff. Also there is a place on Newbury street a couple
blocks down called Timeless Teas, which basically sells only Ceylon teas
from a supplier called Tang Tea. No super high grade stuff, but they have
some respectable BOP from various Ceylon estates.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Skookum wrote:
> I am a Canadian staying in Boston for a while and miss Red Rose tea. Do
> any Bostonians or otehrs in thius area know of a good alternative and
> where you can buy quality loose tea in the Greater Boston area?

Just a thought, but I would think any decent grocery store would sell
PG Tips. You might find it superior to Red Rose and even though it
comes mainly in teabag form it is very enjoyable. Loose PG Tips is
available just harder to find.

The other solid fairly easy to find standby is an Indian
market/grocery, they will sell Brooke Bond Taj Mahal tea and Lipton
Green Label Darjeeling loose for pennies and it is also a good fill-in.

Most cities have some sort of "Chinatown" or asian neighborhoods where
you can also find decent if not surprising quality tea in a new and
foriegn land.

Best of luck, eh? And don't forget to wear your took, it's getting
chilly.
- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic T. wrote:
> Best of luck, eh? And don't forget to wear your took, it's getting
> chilly.
> - Dominic

I meant to say "Don't forget your *tuke*, it's getting chilly."

Darn spellcheck and it's un-Canadian slang knowledge!

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Skookum > wrote:
> >I am a Canadian staying in Boston for a while and miss Red Rose tea. Do
> >any Bostonians or otehrs in thius area know of a good alternative and
> >where you can buy quality loose tea in the Greater Boston area?

> There is Tealuxe, which has a small selection and is very expensive, but
> has some quality stuff. Also there is a place on Newbury street a couple
> blocks down called Timeless Teas, which basically sells only Ceylon teas
> from a supplier called Tang Tea. No super high grade stuff, but they have
> some respectable BOP from various Ceylon estates.
> --scott

Ah, yes, Timeless Teas, that's what it is.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Skookum" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am a Canadian staying in Boston for a while and miss Red Rose tea. Do
> any Bostonians or otehrs in thius area know of a good alternative and
> where you can buy quality loose tea in the Greater Boston area?

I, too, don't know about the Red Rose, but I was coincidentally in
Cardullo's in Harvard Square, and while I didn't see any Red Rose (which
doesn't mean they don't have it - they have dozens of brands), they do,
Dominic's suggestion, have PG Tips. I've long had the impression that, if
you have to drink tea bags, PG Tips are considered the best or among the
best. 'Course, that's not saying much.

Doug

AYCE in Boston or South of Boston AND AYCE PRICE CapeCodBob Sushi 3 16-10-2008 01:58 PM
Stranded, on the bottom. dh@. Vegan 26 24-08-2008 07:20 PM
TN: Bojo rose, bubbly rose, and '02 Bdx DaleW Wine 0 11-05-2008 07:52 PM
Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? [email protected] General Cooking 10 31-12-2004 12:25 AM
Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? [email protected] General 10 31-12-2004 12:25 AM