Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Diet Mt. Dew and Tetley

Yes, you read that right...

The other night I was brewing some very good tea gong-fu style and a
friend called. Kelly answered since I was busy and stated I would be a
minute because I was brewing some tea. My friend Mike and her began to
chat about tea, Kelly (mistakenly) thinking he had some real interest
began to ask what kinds of tea he liked. He was stumped, and the only
two he knew were Tetley and some Celestial Seasonings Chocolate Carmel
Chai... when Kelly began to explain that she meant loose teas and
varieties like oolong, green, etc. he was out of his league and quickly
realized it. Overhearing the whole thing I found it kind of amusing...
then I hear Kelly lost for words and repeat "Diet Mountain Dew and
Tetley?"

My curiosity was piqued to say the least. It turns out in his family
the "traditional" (handed down from his grandmother) way of making iced
tea involved Mountain Dew and Tetley... of which he now uses the diet
version of, for the more discerning Mountain Dew/Tetley conneseur. And
he was serious and very serious that it be only Tetley! (again, who
would dare befoul this concoction with anything less?) And even more
serious that we "have to try it." Damn, I've been fresh out of Mountain
Dew (of any persuasion) and surprisingly a box of Tetley isn't at the
front of my tea cupboard.

I found this all to be pretty rediculous, but he was dead serious. Has
anyone ever heard of this abomination? I'm guessing this is some
strange family discovery attributed to only them, but on the off-chance
I had to run this one past all of you.

- Dominic
Drinking: Upton Mini-tuo puerh, NOT Diet Mt. Dew and Tetley.
teasphere.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." wrote...
> the "traditional" (handed down from his grandmother) way of making iced
> tea involved Mountain Dew and Tetley... of which he now uses the diet
> version of, for the more discerning Mountain Dew/Tetley conneseur. And
> he was serious and very serious that it be only Tetley! (again, who
> would dare befoul this concoction with anything less?) And even more
> serious that we "have to try it." Damn, I've been fresh out of Mountain
> Dew (of any persuasion) and surprisingly a box of Tetley isn't at the
> front of my tea cupboard.

Does he boil the Mountain Dew?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

enid wrote:
> Does he boil the Mountain Dew?

I'm guessing it is added after the ice, but honestly I have no idea and
from the conversation I'd say damn near anything was possible. Their
family (him included) actually thinks this is something very special
and noteworthy... I had a hard enough time just listening without
laughing or saying anything to the contrary. You'd think he was
discussing a very complex ancient brewing method with all of the
elaboration and back story I was given... for what amounted to a can of
mt. dew in some iced tea.

The only part that I can kind of see is that mt. dew is less carbonated
than most other sodas and it is actually based on an orange flavor
(this amazed me years back when I was told, I like to think I have a
pretty decent palate but I would never have figured that out). So
basically it is like a sweet/orange/tea/punch... kind of.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I think I'd add a shot or two of rum to make that palatable!
Shen
Dominic T. wrote:
> enid wrote:
> > Does he boil the Mountain Dew?

> I'm guessing it is added after the ice, but honestly I have no idea and
> from the conversation I'd say damn near anything was possible. Their
> family (him included) actually thinks this is something very special
> and noteworthy... I had a hard enough time just listening without
> laughing or saying anything to the contrary. You'd think he was
> discussing a very complex ancient brewing method with all of the
> elaboration and back story I was given... for what amounted to a can of
> mt. dew in some iced tea.
>
> The only part that I can kind of see is that mt. dew is less carbonated
> than most other sodas and it is actually based on an orange flavor
> (this amazed me years back when I was told, I like to think I have a
> pretty decent palate but I would never have figured that out). So
> basically it is like a sweet/orange/tea/punch... kind of.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Sweet/orange/tea/puch and loaded with caffeine....Mountain Dew is heavy
on the buzz.
Shen
Shen wrote:
> I think I'd add a shot or two of rum to make that palatable!
> Shen
> Dominic T. wrote:
> > enid wrote:
> > > Does he boil the Mountain Dew?

> > I'm guessing it is added after the ice, but honestly I have no idea and
> > from the conversation I'd say damn near anything was possible. Their
> > family (him included) actually thinks this is something very special
> > and noteworthy... I had a hard enough time just listening without
> > laughing or saying anything to the contrary. You'd think he was
> > discussing a very complex ancient brewing method with all of the
> > elaboration and back story I was given... for what amounted to a can of
> > mt. dew in some iced tea.
> >
> > The only part that I can kind of see is that mt. dew is less carbonated
> > than most other sodas and it is actually based on an orange flavor
> > (this amazed me years back when I was told, I like to think I have a
> > pretty decent palate but I would never have figured that out). So
> > basically it is like a sweet/orange/tea/punch... kind of.
> >
> > - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've made a really nice sangria out of red-wine-on-a-train and 7-up, so
I can imagine myself trying this on an August day. I might even try
Lipton and diet Mt. Dew. Sometimes you get your caffeine where you
can. Toci
Dominic T. wrote:
> Yes, you read that right...
>
> The other night I was brewing some very good tea gong-fu style and a
> friend called. Kelly answered since I was busy and stated I would be a
> minute because I was brewing some tea. My friend Mike and her began to
> chat about tea, Kelly (mistakenly) thinking he had some real interest
> began to ask what kinds of tea he liked. He was stumped, and the only
> two he knew were Tetley and some Celestial Seasonings Chocolate Carmel
> Chai... when Kelly began to explain that she meant loose teas and
> varieties like oolong, green, etc. he was out of his league and quickly
> realized it. Overhearing the whole thing I found it kind of amusing...
> then I hear Kelly lost for words and repeat "Diet Mountain Dew and
> Tetley?"
>
> My curiosity was piqued to say the least. It turns out in his family
> the "traditional" (handed down from his grandmother) way of making iced
> tea involved Mountain Dew and Tetley... of which he now uses the diet
> version of, for the more discerning Mountain Dew/Tetley conneseur. And
> he was serious and very serious that it be only Tetley! (again, who
> would dare befoul this concoction with anything less?) And even more
> serious that we "have to try it." Damn, I've been fresh out of Mountain
> Dew (of any persuasion) and surprisingly a box of Tetley isn't at the
> front of my tea cupboard.
>
> I found this all to be pretty rediculous, but he was dead serious. Has
> anyone ever heard of this abomination? I'm guessing this is some
> strange family discovery attributed to only them, but on the off-chance
> I had to run this one past all of you.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: Upton Mini-tuo puerh, NOT Diet Mt. Dew and Tetley.
> teasphere.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Here's my theory...(tongue-firmly-in-cheek, here!)

I'll bet that, a few generations back, somebody's grandma made this
iced tea with "mountain dew," i.e. Prohibition-era moonshine.

Toss in a few children and grandchildren that didn't pay close enough
attention to the old stories, coupled with a healthy dose of American
Soda Propaganda, and voila!!

A bastarized version of the old Top Sekrit Family Recipe...including
that lurid green carbonated favourite in lieu of a proper slug of
booze...Mountain Dew.

Well, one can *hope* this isn't the deliberate, original recipe, yes?
Sounds shudderworthy to me.

Tess
http://teadonism.wordpress.com

> Dominic T. wrote:
> > Yes, you read that right...
> >
> > The other night I was brewing some very good tea gong-fu style and a
> > friend called. Kelly answered since I was busy and stated I would be a
> > minute because I was brewing some tea. My friend Mike and her began to
> > chat about tea, Kelly (mistakenly) thinking he had some real interest
> > began to ask what kinds of tea he liked. He was stumped, and the only
> > two he knew were Tetley and some Celestial Seasonings Chocolate Carmel
> > Chai... when Kelly began to explain that she meant loose teas and
> > varieties like oolong, green, etc. he was out of his league and quickly
> > realized it. Overhearing the whole thing I found it kind of amusing...
> > then I hear Kelly lost for words and repeat "Diet Mountain Dew and
> > Tetley?"
> >
> > My curiosity was piqued to say the least. It turns out in his family
> > the "traditional" (handed down from his grandmother) way of making iced
> > tea involved Mountain Dew and Tetley... of which he now uses the diet
> > version of, for the more discerning Mountain Dew/Tetley conneseur. And
> > he was serious and very serious that it be only Tetley! (again, who
> > would dare befoul this concoction with anything less?) And even more
> > serious that we "have to try it." Damn, I've been fresh out of Mountain
> > Dew (of any persuasion) and surprisingly a box of Tetley isn't at the
> > front of my tea cupboard.
> >
> > I found this all to be pretty rediculous, but he was dead serious. Has
> > anyone ever heard of this abomination? I'm guessing this is some
> > strange family discovery attributed to only them, but on the off-chance
> > I had to run this one past all of you.
> >
> > - Dominic
> > Drinking: Upton Mini-tuo puerh, NOT Diet Mt. Dew and Tetley.
> > teasphere.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Tess wrote:
> Here's my theory...(tongue-firmly-in-cheek, here!)
>
> I'll bet that, a few generations back, somebody's grandma made this
> iced tea with "mountain dew," i.e. Prohibition-era moonshine.
>
> Toss in a few children and grandchildren that didn't pay close enough
> attention to the old stories, coupled with a healthy dose of American
> Soda Propaganda, and voila!!
>
> A bastarized version of the old Top Sekrit Family Recipe...including
> that lurid green carbonated favourite in lieu of a proper slug of
> booze...Mountain Dew.
>
> Well, one can *hope* this isn't the deliberate, original recipe, yes?
> Sounds shudderworthy to me.
>
> Tess
> http://teadonism.wordpress.com

That is, quite possibly, the most intelligent reply I could have ever
expected! The thought never crossed my mind... and you may find this
surprising actually, he comes from a very rural mountainous southern
part of PA (near Fayette) which is very close to West Virginia and
known quite well for their moonshine still to this day!

You may have actually hit the nail squarely on the head, even in jest,
and be the big winner! I can't believe it. I'm totally astounded.

- Dominic

Has Tetley quality gone down hill? Christopher Richards Tea 0 13-09-2006 09:26 PM
Has Tetley quality gone down hill? Pat Tea 0 07-09-2006 05:04 PM
Tetley in Italy [email protected] Tea 2 13-08-2006 09:38 AM
Tetley USA changes its blend? Pat Tea 0 18-12-2005 01:58 PM
Tetley Tea Magdalena P. Tea 0 04-04-2005 02:08 PM