Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
ZZ ZZ is offline

Default Teaware for brewing Puerh & other loose Tea

Currently I'm using a tea ball strainer for brewing my tea, or using a
French press. I would like some opinions on the IngenuiTea Teapot that
Adagio sells:
http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenu...e88 d58f3972a .

Is that a good option for brewing loose tea as well as Pu-erh?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

ZZ wrote:
> Currently I'm using a tea ball strainer for brewing my tea, or using a
> French press. I would like some opinions on the IngenuiTea Teapot that
> Adagio sells:
> http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenu...e88 d58f3972a .
>
> Is that a good option for brewing loose tea as well as Pu-erh?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Hi Dave,

I'd say a big no to all the above. We've all started off with tea
balls, but they are restrictive even with large ones... and especially
with a compressed tea like puerh that expands ten-fold or even more.
The ingenuitea is expensive and not exactly my cup of tea (boo! bad
pun) Some like them, but not me. I think they are clunky and kind of
pointless plus expensive for what it is.

I'm not saying you need to rush out and buy all kinds of expensive
periphernalia either, though. My suggestion: A ceramic 3-piece tea mug
that comes with the mug, strainer, and lid. The most important thing
being the strainer. Make sure it is large and extends down pretty far
into the mug and has medium sized (1/8" or so)holes all around and on
the bottom. I still use one all the time when I don't have time for
more elaborate undertakings. The lid generally doubles as a coaster for
the strainer which is nice. Also, the strainer should be very large to
allow for expansion. Plus, for Puerh it is nice because you can easily
rinse the leaves. (here is a basic link:
http://www.naturalzing.com/catalog/p... efcdcd6844fe
I have never ordered from this company nor do I suggest this one due to
it not having enough holes, but it is a good idea of what you are
looking for and the size of the infuser to mug ratio you are looking
for.)

Even easier is to get yourself a nice normal sized white inside coffee
mug and a People's Brew Basket mesh infuser. The infuser is large and
fits perfectly inside. The only downside is that you need something to
set the infuser on or in when done brewing.
(http://www.republicoftea.com/templat...asp?navID=1597 can be
bought cheaper elsewhere (about $3.99))

Gaiwan's (guywan) are nice too for greens/oolongs and easy to enjoy.

Yixing is probably one of the nicest ways to enjoy a darker tea like an
oolong or Puerh, but it is a bit labor intensive and involved. Most
likely if tea ends up being a more prevalent hobby/pursuit then you
will naturally progress to this at some point. It is a great way to
slow down and really enjoy the tea.

- Dominic
Drinking: brewing Feather Tip (Xin Yang Mao Jian)
teasphere.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

ZZ wrote:
> Currently I'm using a tea ball strainer for brewing my tea, or using a
> French press. I would like some opinions on the IngenuiTea Teapot that
> Adagio sells:
> http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenu...e88 d58f3972a .
>
> Is that a good option for brewing loose tea as well as Pu-erh?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I have several and I do like mine.
see http://www.pu-erh.net/sections.php?Choice=How_To_Brew
They used to be called an "Aria Teapot" but then Adagio tried to corner
the market on them. The non-Adagio ones are cheaper if you can find
one.

I think that they are a transitional piece for most users. They make
brewing loose leaf tremendously easy but most drinkers will graduate to
more traditional teaware in time. I do think they are quite effective
for those who are new to loose leaf. I have several and I do like mine.
I think that they are a transitional piece for most users. They make
brewing loose leaf tremendously easy for the loose leaf newbie but most
drinkers will gradate to more traditional yixing or porcelain teaware
in time, if for no other reason than to enjoy the rich culture of
teaware.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Mike Petro wrote:
> I have several and I do like mine.

Damn, who proofread that? Sorry.....

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
ZZ ZZ is offline

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> ZZ wrote:
>> Currently I'm using a tea ball strainer for brewing my tea, or using a
>> French press. I would like some opinions on the IngenuiTea Teapot that
>> Adagio sells:
>> http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenu...e88 d58f3972a .
>>
>> Is that a good option for brewing loose tea as well as Pu-erh?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

> Hi Dave,
>
> I'd say a big no to all the above. We've all started off with tea
> balls, but they are restrictive even with large ones... and especially
> with a compressed tea like puerh that expands ten-fold or even more.
> The ingenuitea is expensive and not exactly my cup of tea (boo! bad
> pun) Some like them, but not me. I think they are clunky and kind of
> pointless plus expensive for what it is.
>
> I'm not saying you need to rush out and buy all kinds of expensive
> periphernalia either, though. My suggestion: A ceramic 3-piece tea mug
> that comes with the mug, strainer, and lid. The most important thing
> being the strainer. Make sure it is large and extends down pretty far
> into the mug and has medium sized (1/8" or so)holes all around and on
> the bottom. I still use one all the time when I don't have time for
> more elaborate undertakings. The lid generally doubles as a coaster for
> the strainer which is nice. Also, the strainer should be very large to
> allow for expansion. Plus, for Puerh it is nice because you can easily
> rinse the leaves. (here is a basic link:
> http://www.naturalzing.com/catalog/p... efcdcd6844fe
> I have never ordered from this company nor do I suggest this one due to
> it not having enough holes, but it is a good idea of what you are
> looking for and the size of the infuser to mug ratio you are looking
> for.)
>
> Even easier is to get yourself a nice normal sized white inside coffee
> mug and a People's Brew Basket mesh infuser. The infuser is large and
> fits perfectly inside. The only downside is that you need something to
> set the infuser on or in when done brewing.
> (http://www.republicoftea.com/templat...asp?navID=1597 can be
> bought cheaper elsewhere (about $3.99))
>
> Gaiwan's (guywan) are nice too for greens/oolongs and easy to enjoy.
>
> Yixing is probably one of the nicest ways to enjoy a darker tea like an
> oolong or Puerh, but it is a bit labor intensive and involved. Most
> likely if tea ends up being a more prevalent hobby/pursuit then you
> will naturally progress to this at some point. It is a great way to
> slow down and really enjoy the tea.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: brewing Feather Tip (Xin Yang Mao Jian)
> teasphere.wordpress.com

Dominic,

Thank you for the well thought out and detailed letter! This is a big help.

Dave

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
ZZ ZZ is offline

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
s.com...

> ZZ wrote:
>> Currently I'm using a tea ball strainer for brewing my tea, or using a
>> French press. I would like some opinions on the IngenuiTea Teapot that
>> Adagio sells:
>> http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenu...e88 d58f3972a .
>>
>> Is that a good option for brewing loose tea as well as Pu-erh?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

> I have several and I do like mine.
> see http://www.pu-erh.net/sections.php?Choice=How_To_Brew
> They used to be called an "Aria Teapot" but then Adagio tried to corner
> the market on them. The non-Adagio ones are cheaper if you can find
> one.
>
> I think that they are a transitional piece for most users. They make
> brewing loose leaf tremendously easy but most drinkers will graduate to
> more traditional teaware in time. I do think they are quite effective
> for those who are new to loose leaf. I have several and I do like mine.
> I think that they are a transitional piece for most users. They make
> brewing loose leaf tremendously easy for the loose leaf newbie but most
> drinkers will gradate to more traditional yixing or porcelain teaware
> in time, if for no other reason than to enjoy the rich culture of
> teaware.
>
> Mike
> http://www.pu-erh.net

Mike,

Thank you as well. Great and informative website!

Dave

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dave,
You may want to try Wing Hop Fung's web site - www.asiachi.com. They
seem to be very inexpensive and the cup/strainer/lid combos in the shop
are pretty good quality and very pretty.
Shen
ZZ wrote:
> "Mike Petro" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >
> > ZZ wrote:
> >> Currently I'm using a tea ball strainer for brewing my tea, or using a
> >> French press. I would like some opinions on the IngenuiTea Teapot that
> >> Adagio sells:
> >> http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenu...e88 d58f3972a .
> >>
> >> Is that a good option for brewing loose tea as well as Pu-erh?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Dave

> > I have several and I do like mine.
> > see http://www.pu-erh.net/sections.php?Choice=How_To_Brew
> > They used to be called an "Aria Teapot" but then Adagio tried to corner
> > the market on them. The non-Adagio ones are cheaper if you can find
> > one.
> >
> > I think that they are a transitional piece for most users. They make
> > brewing loose leaf tremendously easy but most drinkers will graduate to
> > more traditional teaware in time. I do think they are quite effective
> > for those who are new to loose leaf. I have several and I do like mine.
> > I think that they are a transitional piece for most users. They make
> > brewing loose leaf tremendously easy for the loose leaf newbie but most
> > drinkers will gradate to more traditional yixing or porcelain teaware
> > in time, if for no other reason than to enjoy the rich culture of
> > teaware.
> >
> > Mike
> > http://www.pu-erh.net

> Mike,
>
> Thank you as well. Great and informative website!
>
> Dave

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> ZZ wrote:
>> Currently I'm using a tea ball strainer for brewing my tea, or using a
>> French press. I would like some opinions on the IngenuiTea Teapot that
>> Adagio sells:
>> http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenu...e88 d58f3972a .
>>
>> Is that a good option for brewing loose tea as well as Pu-erh?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

> Hi Dave,
>
> I'd say a big no to all the above. We've all started off with tea
> balls, but they are restrictive even with large ones... and especially
> with a compressed tea like puerh that expands ten-fold or even more.
> The ingenuitea is expensive and not exactly my cup of tea (boo! bad
> pun) Some like them, but not me. I think they are clunky and kind of
> pointless plus expensive for what it is.
>
> I'm not saying you need to rush out and buy all kinds of expensive
> periphernalia either, though. My suggestion: A ceramic 3-piece tea mug
> that comes with the mug, strainer, and lid. The most important thing
> being the strainer. Make sure it is large and extends down pretty far
> into the mug and has medium sized (1/8" or so)holes all around and on
> the bottom. I still use one all the time when I don't have time for
> more elaborate undertakings. The lid generally doubles as a coaster for
> the strainer which is nice. Also, the strainer should be very large to
> allow for expansion. Plus, for Puerh it is nice because you can easily
> rinse the leaves. (here is a basic link:
> http://www.naturalzing.com/catalog/p... efcdcd6844fe
> I have never ordered from this company nor do I suggest this one due to
> it not having enough holes, but it is a good idea of what you are
> looking for and the size of the infuser to mug ratio you are looking
> for.)
>
> Even easier is to get yourself a nice normal sized white inside coffee
> mug and a People's Brew Basket mesh infuser. The infuser is large and
> fits perfectly inside. The only downside is that you need something to
> set the infuser on or in when done brewing.
> (http://www.republicoftea.com/templat...asp?navID=1597 can be
> bought cheaper elsewhere (about $3.99))
>
> Gaiwan's (guywan) are nice too for greens/oolongs and easy to enjoy.
>
> Yixing is probably one of the nicest ways to enjoy a darker tea like an
> oolong or Puerh, but it is a bit labor intensive and involved. Most
> likely if tea ends up being a more prevalent hobby/pursuit then you
> will naturally progress to this at some point. It is a great way to
> slow down and really enjoy the tea.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: brewing Feather Tip (Xin Yang Mao Jian)
> teasphere.wordpress.com
>hey Dominic, thanks for the links, I have been looking for such items and
>had no luck, you made it SO easy!

Karen

brewing loose leaf tea Tea Sunrise Tea 9 30-09-2007 05:55 AM
City Brewing May purchase Latrobe Brewing plant Tom or Mary Beer 5 27-06-2006 06:47 PM
Teaware exhibit in Shanghai Melinda Tea 0 29-12-2005 03:43 AM
Loose green puerh and pressed teas that are not puerh. Mike Petro Tea 2 24-05-2005 12:31 PM
?BREWING PUERH TEA? Raicu Tea 38 01-05-2004 12:35 AM