turbodog

Default sushi rice(revisited)

i just deleted a post before i got to read it and was wondering if someone
could repost it.

it looked like a "recipe" to make sushi rice!

don't mean to keep on about this but i would really like to see that
post.just trying to gather as much info as possible!

T.I.A.

turbodog

turbodog > wrote:
> i just deleted a post before i got to read it and was wondering if
> someone could repost it.
>
> it looked like a "recipe" to make sushi rice!
>
> don't mean to keep on about this but i would really like to see that
> post.just trying to gather as much info as possible!

I dunno if the is the one yer referrin' to, but here it is again.

Sushi Rice (Sushi-meshi)

Ingredients
3-1/3 cups short-grain rice, washed
4 cups water
3 inch square konbu (giant kelp)

Dressing
5 Tbs plus 1 tsp rice vinegar
5 Tbs sugar
4 tsp sea salt

Preparation

Put rice in heavy bottomed medium-sized pot or rice cooker and add the
water.

Wipe konbu clean with a damp cloth, slashing in a few places to release
more flavor if desired. Place on top of rice in water.

Cover and heat over medium heat until it starts boiling. Remove and
discard the konbu. Cover tightly and boil over high heat for 2 minutes.
Turn heat down to medium and boil another 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low
and cook for 15 minutes or 'til all water has been absorbed. Turn off heat
and let stand (on burner), with pot lid wrapped in a kitchen towel, 10 to
15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare vinegar dressing. Dissolve the sugar and salt in the
vinegar over low heat. [NOTE: A little more vinegar in the summer, but, to
your taste] Force-cool to room temperature by placing mixture in a metal
bowl and twirling in a bath of water and ice.

Tossing rice

Using a flat wooden spoon or rice paddle, spread the hot rice in a thin
layer in a wide and shallow wooden or plastic bowl or hangiri tub. Toss
rice with horizontal cutting strokes to keep grains separate. While
tossing, sprinkle vinegar dressing generously over the rice, but not so
much that you make the rice mushy.

Cool the rice quickly to room temperature as you toss it, using a small fan
or one of your kids fanning with a folded up newspaper! Should all take
about 10 minutes. Cover with a damp towel in a container and finish the
same day. Don't bother refrigerating to make stir-fry the next day!

from "Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art", by Shijuo Tsuji, Kodensh Int'l,
Tokyo, 1982.

This is my favorite English language Japanese cookbook.Tsuji-sama's
descriptions, explanations, recipes and anecdotes are beyond simply
excellent. If you can find it, I highly recommend it.

The Tsuji Culinary School is headquartered in Osaka, and has a branch in
Chteau de l’Éclair, France. Ahhh. Would that I could. ;-(

--
Nick. To support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families go to: http://saluteheroes.org/

turbodog

Thanks very much!that is going to be very helpfulmaking sushi Sunday..let
you know how it turns out!

turbodog

wrote in
:

> turbodog > wrote:
>> i just deleted a post before i got to read it and was wondering if
>> someone could repost it.
>>
>> it looked like a "recipe" to make sushi rice!
>>
>> don't mean to keep on about this but i would really like to see that
>> post.just trying to gather as much info as possible!
>>

> I dunno if the is the one yer referrin' to, but here it is again.
>
> Sushi Rice (Sushi-meshi)
>
> Ingredients
> 3-1/3 cups short-grain rice, washed
> 4 cups water
> 3 inch square konbu (giant kelp)
>
> Dressing
> 5 Tbs plus 1 tsp rice vinegar
> 5 Tbs sugar
> 4 tsp sea salt
>
> Preparation
>
> Put rice in heavy bottomed medium-sized pot or rice cooker and add the
> water.
>
> Wipe konbu clean with a damp cloth, slashing in a few places to
> release more flavor if desired. Place on top of rice in water.
>
> Cover and heat over medium heat until it starts boiling. Remove and
> discard the konbu. Cover tightly and boil over high heat for 2
> minutes. Turn heat down to medium and boil another 5 minutes. Reduce
> heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or 'til all water has been
> absorbed. Turn off heat and let stand (on burner), with pot lid
> wrapped in a kitchen towel, 10 to 15 minutes.
>
> Meanwhile, prepare vinegar dressing. Dissolve the sugar and salt in
> the vinegar over low heat. [NOTE: A little more vinegar in the
> summer, but, to your taste] Force-cool to room temperature by placing
> mixture in a metal bowl and twirling in a bath of water and ice.
>
> Tossing rice
>
> Using a flat wooden spoon or rice paddle, spread the hot rice in a
> thin layer in a wide and shallow wooden or plastic bowl or hangiri
> tub. Toss rice with horizontal cutting strokes to keep grains
> separate. While tossing, sprinkle vinegar dressing generously over
> the rice, but not so much that you make the rice mushy.
>
> Cool the rice quickly to room temperature as you toss it, using a
> small fan or one of your kids fanning with a folded up newspaper!
> Should all take about 10 minutes. Cover with a damp towel in a
> container and finish the same day. Don't bother refrigerating to make
> stir-fry the next day!
>
> from "Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art", by Shijuo Tsuji, Kodensh Int'l,
> Tokyo, 1982.
>
> This is my favorite English language Japanese cookbook.Tsuji-sama's
> descriptions, explanations, recipes and anecdotes are beyond simply
> excellent. If you can find it, I highly recommend it.
>
> The Tsuji Culinary School is headquartered in Osaka, and has a branch
> in Chteau de l’Éclair, France. Ahhh. Would that I could. ;-(

Musashi

"turbodog" > wrote in message
. ..
> i just deleted a post before i got to read it and was wondering if someone
> could repost it.
>
> it looked like a "recipe" to make sushi rice!
>
> don't mean to keep on about this but i would really like to see that
> post.just trying to gather as much info as possible!
>
> T.I.A.
>
> turbodog

While it may not be equal to sushimeshi made at home from scratch, many
Japanese food stores
in the US carry packets of "sushi-rice seasoning" which can simply be added
to the cooked rice
and mixed in. This at least would cut down on some time and work in
preparation.

Musashi

James Silverton

Musashi wrote on Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:45:02 GMT:

M> "turbodog" > wrote in message
M> . ..
M> While it may not be equal to sushimeshi made at home from
M> scratch, many Japanese food stores
M> in the US carry packets of "sushi-rice seasoning" which can
M> simply be added to the cooked rice
M> and mixed in. This at least would cut down on some time and
M> work in preparation.

I'd second that suggestion. I don't make sushi style rice very
often but the Japanese packaged seasoning worked quite well.

James Silverton.

turbodog > wrote:
> Thanks very much!that is going to be very helpfulmaking sushi Sunday..let
> you know how it turns out!

Looking forward to yer report, pics on alt.binaries.food and a Fed Ex pkg!
;-)

--
Nick. To support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families go to: http://saluteheroes.org/

George

turbodog wrote:
> i just deleted a post before i got to read it and was wondering if someone
> could repost it.
>
> it looked like a "recipe" to make sushi rice!
>
> don't mean to keep on about this but i would really like to see that
> post.just trying to gather as much info as possible!
>
> T.I.A.
>
> turbodog

Hey Turbodog, I think you might have the recipe now, but you can always
"unsubscribe" to a newsgroup and then "subscribe" to it again and have a
second chance to get all posts still available to your server. Of course
thats no fun in really active newsgroup :-(

--
The First Nation people call him "Walking Eagle" because he's so full of
shit he can't fly anymore.