Hansen

Default Greensboro, NC sushi

Good day,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for sushi in
Greensboro, NC? I have to go there on business, and am staying long
enough that I'll need a fix.

I looked through dejanews, but the only recent reference was 2002, and
that was not promising. THough I will probably look for the BBQ that
was offered instead.

Thanks !
Hansen
Michael

"Hansen" > wrote in message
om...
> Good day,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for sushi in
> Greensboro, NC? I have to go there on business, and am staying long
> enough that I'll need a fix.
>
> I looked through dejanews, but the only recent reference was 2002, and
> that was not promising. THough I will probably look for the BBQ that
> was offered instead.

Stamey's BBQ across from the coliseum. There are sushi bars in G'boro but
none I would eat in again.

Stamey's is one of the best Q places on the planet so don't feel too bad
about that option.

The post you found was probably from me and it hasn't changed since.

Michael

"Hansen" > wrote in message
om...
> Good day,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for sushi in
> Greensboro, NC? I have to go there on business, and am staying long
> enough that I'll need a fix.
>
> I looked through dejanews, but the only recent reference was 2002, and
> that was not promising. THough I will probably look for the BBQ that
> was offered instead.

One additional item about G'boro sushi bars...not only are they of poor
quality but down right dangerous. You'll be lucky to get away with mild
food poisoning. Raleigh and Charlotte are the closest places for good
sushi.

Adam

Michael wrote:
> "Hansen" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Good day,
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for sushi in
>>Greensboro, NC? I have to go there on business, and am staying long
>>enough that I'll need a fix.
>>
>>I looked through dejanews, but the only recent reference was 2002, and
>>that was not promising. THough I will probably look for the BBQ that
>>was offered instead.

> One additional item about G'boro sushi bars...not only are they of poor
> quality but down right dangerous. You'll be lucky to get away with mild
> food poisoning. Raleigh and Charlotte are the closest places for good
> sushi.

I was just out there this past week visited family....and that's
accurate. Every place I went into stunk like bad fish.
The chopped BBQ was awesome though
JohnB

Adam > wrote in message news:<5O4rd.2$9n.1@lakeread04>...
> Michael wrote:
> > "Hansen" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> >>Good day,
> >>
> >>I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for sushi in
> >>Greensboro, NC? I have to go there on business, and am staying long
> >>enough that I'll need a fix.
> >>
> >>I looked through dejanews, but the only recent reference was 2002, and
> >>that was not promising. THough I will probably look for the BBQ that
> >>was offered instead.

> > One additional item about G'boro sushi bars...not only are they of poor
> > quality but down right dangerous. You'll be lucky to get away with mild
> > food poisoning. Raleigh and Charlotte are the closest places for good
> > sushi.
> >

> I was just out there this past week visited family....and that's
> accurate. Every place I went into stunk like bad fish.
> The chopped BBQ was awesome though

I lived in G'boro for 5 years and still go on business. Asahi on
Market Street is great. Chef Steve Saito has been there for over 20
years. Although it is a teppan-yaki restaurant he has a great sushi
bar in the back and absolutely jams. He is one of the few places you
can find toro. No seafood smells here and top quality-be sure to sit
at sushi bar.
I agree that every other place in town I have tried over the
years has been dissappointing at best. If you live in G'boro and
haven't been here-go. You won't be sorry!

Bob Myers

"Adam" > wrote in message news:5O4rd.2$9n.1@lakeread04...
> I was just out there this past week visited family....and that's
> accurate. Every place I went into stunk like bad fish.
> The chopped BBQ was awesome though

Hmmmm... a place that served both sushi AND BBQ?

"Hey, y'all want the regular source or the hot stuff on that
order of hamachi and pulled pork?" :-)

Bob M.

Thanks very much to everyone for the info. Sorry I didn't get a chance
to thank you sooner.

I broke down and went to Asahi, which was recommended by one poster.
It didn't smell like a fish market, but it did have a lingering aroma
of smoke and stale beer, not unlike a frat house. It was friendly, and
the tuna and salmon I had were pretty good. But not great, just o.k.
Because of the beer smell and the comments in this group, I abandoned
the sushi bar and went after the menu from the kitchen. The Age Dashi
Tofu was mediocre.

I also ended up going to a new establishemtn called "Fire and Sticks"
(http://www.fireandsticks.com/ - not safe for dial up), which is mostly
a Japanese steakhouse. The steakhouse portion is quite nice, and was
entertaining, as most of those places are. Of course, scotch helps
that along nicely. But while at the grill-table, I had salmon and
yellow tail, and it was pretty good. It cured my sushi craving, anyway.
(Apparently, Fire and Sticks took sushi chef Seong "Sun" Jeong
from Greensboro's Sushi Rock... -
http://www.gotriad.com/article/articleview/11968/1/69/ )

But it had been a while since I'd had sushi, so I figured I had to go
back to Hama Sushi in Herndon, VA, upon my return home, to compare the
Greensboro sushi to a very sonsistent base line. Sure enough, the
sushi I'd had in Greensboro was passable, but Hama is delectable. The
Toro and Hamachi that I had last night were melt in your mouth, and as
always, served with flair.

Oh, and I never managed to get out for BBQ, which is a shame.
Cheers,
Hansen

Michael

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks very much to everyone for the info. Sorry I didn't get a chance
> to thank you sooner.
>
> I broke down and went to Asahi, which was recommended by one poster.

Tried it myself and was disappointed.

snipping

> Oh, and I never managed to get out for BBQ, which is a shame.
> Cheers,
> Hansen

The Q is this area is exceptional. Stamey's is one of the top five
anywhere. Greensboro and sushi are just not happening.

Gerry

In article
>, Michael
> wrote:

> > Thanks very much to everyone for the info. Sorry I didn't get a chance
> > to thank you sooner.
> >
> > I broke down and went to Asahi, which was recommended by one poster.

> Tried it myself and was disappointed.

Same here.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article