Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Camarones en Aguachile

This isn't really Sushi, but it does come under the heading of raw seafood.
I made my second batch last night using fresh Gulf of Maine shrimp - small
yet the sweetest shrimp I've ever eaten. Check out
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=212

I had about a cup of shelled, raw shrimp cut lengthwise leaving about 1/2"
attached at the tail end to keep the halves together. Then I de-seeded 2
Serrano chilies cut up and added to a small food processor to chop a bit.
Then about a cup of loose packed Cilantro was added to that for another
spin. Then a scant 1/2 teaspoon sea salt was added with the juice of 1 large
fresh lime. Process until fairly smooth, but don't worry too much about how
fine it is.

Plate the shrimp meats on a tray that will allow them to be 1/2 summered in
the Aguachile (stuff in the processor,) grind some sea salt over the meats
and then spoon on the Aguachile mixture. Eat right away. They didn't use
Gulf of Maine shrimp on the show, but like I said, these are very sweet.

Unlike ceviche, you don't really give these too much time to marinate which
is great, 'cause I hate to wait
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:18:08 -0500, Wilson >
wrote:

> This isn't really Sushi, but it does come under the heading of raw seafood.

Just to make it clear in case you don't realize this: sushi does *not*
come under the heading of raw seafood. Sushi is *stuff* on rice. The
stuff is often raw fish, but there is also sushi made with vegetables
or with cooked fish or seafood.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 02/26/11 2:07 PM, sometime in the recent past Ken Blake posted this:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:18:08 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> This isn't really Sushi, but it does come under the heading of raw seafood.

> Just to make it clear in case you don't realize this: sushi does *not*
> come under the heading of raw seafood. Sushi is *stuff* on rice. The
> stuff is often raw fish, but there is also sushi made with vegetables
> or with cooked fish or seafood.

and raw or cooked eggs, while you're at it.

Thanks Ken, I suppose I should have really put the 'OT' in the subject line
instead of as a disclaimer in the body. I am aware of your point, but often
use the term collectively. You almost never hear anyone say 'I'm going out
for sushi and sashimi' when one says 'I'm going out for sushi.'

Since, much of sushi uses raw seafood, I was trying to make a connection. I
hope to get a better grade on my next paper

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:28:52 -0500, Wilson >
wrote:

> On 02/26/11 2:07 PM, sometime in the recent past Ken Blake posted this:
> > On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:18:08 -0500, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> This isn't really Sushi, but it does come under the heading of raw seafood.

> > Just to make it clear in case you don't realize this: sushi does *not*
> > come under the heading of raw seafood. Sushi is *stuff* on rice. The
> > stuff is often raw fish, but there is also sushi made with vegetables
> > or with cooked fish or seafood.

> and raw or cooked eggs, while you're at it.
> >

> Thanks Ken, I suppose I should have really put the 'OT' in the subject line
> instead of as a disclaimer in the body. I am aware of your point, but often
> use the term collectively. You almost never hear anyone say 'I'm going out
> for sushi and sashimi' when one says 'I'm going out for sushi.'
>
> Since, much of sushi uses raw seafood, I was trying to make a connection. I
> hope to get a better grade on my next paper

LOL! OK, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, but rather to point
out something that I thought you might not know,.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 02/27/11 7:05 PM, sometime in the recent past Ken Blake posted this:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:28:52 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/26/11 2:07 PM, sometime in the recent past Ken Blake posted this:

>>> Just to make it clear in case you don't realize this: sushi does *not*
>>> come under the heading of raw seafood. Sushi is *stuff* on rice. The
>>> stuff is often raw fish, but there is also sushi made with vegetables
>>> or with cooked fish or seafood.

>> and raw or cooked eggs, while you're at it.
>>>

>> Thanks Ken, I suppose I should have really put the 'OT' in the subject line
>> instead of as a disclaimer in the body. I am aware of your point, but often
>> use the term collectively. You almost never hear anyone say 'I'm going out
>> for sushi and sashimi' when one says 'I'm going out for sushi.'
>>
>> Since, much of sushi uses raw seafood, I was trying to make a connection. I
>> hope to get a better grade on my next paper

> LOL! OK, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, but rather to point
> out something that I thought you might not know,.

No problem, Ken - I hope I came off humorous as it had been a long weekend.
Had more good fortune as the season on these shrimp closed yesterday, but I
was able to buy 5 more pounds of them today - some for shrimp cocktails,
some for the Aguachile & some for an addition to some pasta thing. Bon appetite!

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Camarones a la Diabla Bette E Recipes (moderated) 0 11-09-2007 01:24 AM
Camarones Delicias del Mar The Galloping Gourmand Mexican Cooking 0 02-12-2006 06:12 PM
Camarones En Escabeche 7 Hawks Recipes 0 30-06-2005 02:13 AM
Camarones y Pasta con Tequila c2c Duckie ® Recipes 0 17-06-2004 12:53 PM
Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo Dimitri Mexican Cooking 10 04-11-2003 04:43 PM