Dimitri

Default Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo

Ripped from:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5061.asp

Enjoy,

Dimitri

Camarones al Mojo de Ajo (Shrimp with Toasted Garlic)

This is a classic way of preparing seafood in Mexico. Don't be alarmed at
the amount of garlic used. The method of slowly toasting it until soft and
pale golden in olive oil and butter mellows it and brings out the sweetness.
The garlic oil sauce can be doubled and kept in the fridge for two weeks so
you can serve it with other seafood. I also like it "a la veracruzana" over
a lightly breaded calamari steak or snapper fillet. Simply dip the fish in
flour and quick-fry in the oil, then pour the rest of the mojo on top.

In the following recipe I added chipotle chile into the mojo, an idea I got
from Chef Rick Bayless. I've left this as optional, for those who like a
little heat.

Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo

Serves 4

1 large head peeled garlic cloves
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 large chipotle chile in adobo, chopped (optional)
24 large shrimp, peeled, with tail left on
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Lime wedges for serving

Chop the garlic in a food processor. Place in a non-stick skillet. Add the
olive oil and butter and heat over medium-low heat until the butter melts
and the sauce begins to simmer. Simmer over the lowest possible heat (small
bubbles will rise and form in the pot) for about 30 minutes, stirring
occasionally until the garlic is soft and pale golden. Squeeze in the lime.
Simmer about 3 minutes. Add the chipotle chile (if using) and parsely.
Remove the mojo to a measuring cup.

In same pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the garlic oil (not the garlic) over
medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and stir gently until just cooked through,
about 3-4 minutes. Add the rest of the mojo and toss with the shrimp until
coated. Divide onto four plates. Serve with lime wedges.

Click on the link and you'll find:
Roasted Poblano Rice

This recipe is a great alternative to traditional Mexican or Spanish rice.
It's bright flavors are particularly good in summer. Try it with the
Oregano-Marinated Chicken or your favorite grilled fish dressed in a spicy
vinegrette. The recipe can be doubled or tripled.

Roasted Poblano Rice

Serves 2

1 small poblano chile
1-cup salted water
1/2 cup long grain white rice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 ounces crumbled queso fresco

Roast the poblano chile in a hot broiler, turning until blackened in spots
on all sides, about 8 minutes. Place in paper bag. Seal and let stand 15
minutes. Remove chile and stem, seed, peel and chop.

Bring salted water to boil in saucepan. Add rice. Stir once, cover and
simmer until rice is cooked and water is evaporated, about 12 minutes. Add
chopped poblano, cilantro and cheese. Fluff with fork to mix and serve.

David Wright

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:35:57 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Ripped from:
>http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5061.asp
>
>Enjoy,
>
>Dimitri
>
>Camarones al Mojo de Ajo (Shrimp with Toasted Garlic)

Nice find, Dimitri, for both recipes and also the site.. Those are
keepers. Thanks.

David
Dimitri

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:35:57 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

> >Ripped from:
> >http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5061.asp
> >
> >Enjoy,
> >
> >Dimitri
> >
> >Camarones al Mojo de Ajo (Shrimp with Toasted Garlic)
> >

> Nice find, Dimitri, for both recipes and also the site.. Those are
> keepers. Thanks.
>
> David

Any time I've got some shrimp in the freezer - I might as well eat well
while the strike in So Cal is on. This is a nice opportunity to rotate the
stock.

Dimitri

David Wright

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:46:15 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Any time I've got some shrimp in the freezer - I might as well eat well
>while the strike in So Cal is on. This is a nice opportunity to rotate the
>stock.
>
>Dimitri

This is OT but I'll say it anyway, because you just reminded me of a
great experience I would have Way Back When.

When I lived in SoCal the first time, '65 to '68, we would drive down
to Newport Beach from Riverside and buy fish from the guys who had
caught them that morning. They would sell the fish from their skiffs
that they had pulled up onto the beach after the early morning's work.

David
Dimitri

Default OT:fresh fish

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:46:15 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

> >Any time I've got some shrimp in the freezer - I might as well eat well
> >while the strike in So Cal is on. This is a nice opportunity to rotate

the
> >stock.
> >
> >Dimitri
> >

> This is OT but I'll say it anyway, because you just reminded me of a
> great experience I would have Way Back When.
>
> When I lived in SoCal the first time, '65 to '68, we would drive down
> to Newport Beach from Riverside and buy fish from the guys who had
> caught them that morning. They would sell the fish from their skiffs
> that they had pulled up onto the beach after the early morning's work.
>
> David

One year we (several friends and I) were taken on an all day boat out of
Oxnard, CA. The boat left about 3:00 AM for a fishing trip out to the
Channel Islands. That day we (everyone on the boat) caught their limit. One
little oriental gentle man kept fishing a little past his limit. On the way
back he stated filleting the fish and asked to borrow the galley grill.

He stir-fried the chunks of fish with some green onion, ginger, garlic,
peppers, cilantro (Chinese parsley) and soy he had brought.

I'm not sure what it was but that was the best fish I have ever eaten.

Dimitri

Douglas S. Ladden

Dimitri on 03 Nov 2003 suggested:

> Ripped from:
> http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5061.asp
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Dimitri
>
> Camarones al Mojo de Ajo (Shrimp with Toasted Garlic)
>
> This is a classic way of preparing seafood in Mexico. Don't be
> alarmed at the amount of garlic used. The method of slowly toasting
> it until soft and pale golden in olive oil and butter mellows it and
> brings out the sweetness. The garlic oil sauce can be doubled and
> kept in the fridge for two weeks so you can serve it with other
> seafood. I also like it "a la veracruzana" over a lightly breaded
> calamari steak or snapper fillet. Simply dip the fish in flour and
> quick-fry in the oil, then pour the rest of the mojo on top.
>
> In the following recipe I added chipotle chile into the mojo, an idea
> I got from Chef Rick Bayless. I've left this as optional, for those
> who like a little heat.
>
> Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo
>
> Serves 4
>
> 1 large head peeled garlic cloves
> 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
> 1 tablespoon butter
> Juice from 1/2 lime
> 1 large chipotle chile in adobo, chopped (optional)
> 24 large shrimp, peeled, with tail left on
> 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
>
> Lime wedges for serving
>
> Chop the garlic in a food processor. Place in a non-stick skillet.
> Add the olive oil and butter and heat over medium-low heat until the
> butter melts and the sauce begins to simmer. Simmer over the lowest
> possible heat (small bubbles will rise and form in the pot) for about
> 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the garlic is soft and pale
> golden. Squeeze in the lime. Simmer about 3 minutes. Add the chipotle
> chile (if using) and parsely. Remove the mojo to a measuring cup.
>
> In same pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the garlic oil (not the
> garlic) over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and stir gently until
> just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Add the rest of the mojo and
> toss with the shrimp until coated. Divide onto four plates. Serve
> with lime wedges.

Camarones al mojo de ajo is my favorite food in the world, and I'm
very glad you posted the recipe. It's interesting that in your recipe
it specifies peeled shrimp, as I have NEVER had it served to me this way
anywhere, and I've had it served to me in a LOT of places. Yet I always
thought it would be better peeled, as the flavor would soak into the
meat even more, and be easier (and less messy) to eat.

On a slightly different track, the best Camarones al mojo de ajo
I've ever had was in Ciudad del Carmen, at any of the three restaurants
on the first corner right after you come off the bridge from the
mainland. There's not much else to say about Cd. del Carmen, as it is
primarily a support city for the offshore oil rigs. But boy do they
have some great, and fairly inexpensive seafood, especially shrimp.

--Douglas
William Jennings

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> He stir-fried the chunks of fish with some green onion, ginger,

garlic,
> peppers, cilantro (Chinese parsley) and soy he had brought.
>
> I'm not sure what it was but that was the best fish I have ever eaten.

Sounds good!

This reminds me of the best shrimp I've ever eaten:

Bring wine of your choice to the bait stand. Buy 1 quart of large live
shrimp per (big) person.

Put the live shrimp directly in wine of your choice for your trip to the
kichen, beach or boat.

Allow shrimp to spent there remaining time swimming in wine, they absorb
the wine. This only works for live shrimp.

The shrimp can be steamed in the wine, peeled and deep-fried with panko
mix, Mexican shrimp cocktail or whatever please you.

Simple, quick and the best I've had.

doc

Jason Tinling

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> One year we (several friends and I) were taken on an all day boat out of
> Oxnard, CA. The boat left about 3:00 AM for a fishing trip out to the
> Channel Islands. That day we (everyone on the boat) caught their limit.

One
> little oriental gentle man kept fishing a little past his limit. On the

way
> back he stated filleting the fish and asked to borrow the galley grill.
>
> He stir-fried the chunks of fish with some green onion, ginger, garlic,
> peppers, cilantro (Chinese parsley) and soy he had brought.
>
> I'm not sure what it was but that was the best fish I have ever eaten.
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri,

My friend and I were on a 3/4 day boat out of Seaforth Landing in San Diego,
Fishing the La Jolla Kelp. Back 7 or 8 years ago. We got into a school of
bruiser bonito, 5 pounds and up. Galley/deckie grabbed a live one and
disappeared down into the kitchen, came back about 15 minutes later with a
plate of fresh fish. I'm not a big fan of boito, it tends to be too
strong/oily for me, but that plate was absolutely sinful. Some carmelized
onions and the fish with lemon and seasoned salt, it was to die for.

Jason

Linda

Excellent recipe. Although I do so love shrimp, I am unfortunately allergic
to it.. But I still cook it for the family and friends.. (I'm on the
outside looking in)

Linda

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> [...]

> It's bright flavors are particularly good in summer. Try it with the
> Oregano-Marinated Chicken or your favorite grilled fish dressed in a spicy
> vinegrette. The recipe can be doubled or tripled.
>
> Roasted Poblano Rice
>
> Serves 2
>
> 1 small poblano chile
> 1-cup salted water
> 1/2 cup long grain white rice
> 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
> 2 ounces crumbled queso fresco
>
> Roast the poblano chile in a hot broiler, turning until blackened in spots
> on all sides, about 8 minutes. Place in paper bag. Seal and let stand 15
> minutes. Remove chile and stem, seed, peel and chop.
>
> Bring salted water to boil in saucepan. Add rice. Stir once, cover and
> simmer until rice is cooked and water is evaporated, about 12 minutes. Add
> chopped poblano, cilantro and cheese. Fluff with fork to mix and serve.

Linda

O.K. guys, it's 8 am and here I am hungry for fish!

Linda

"Jason Tinling" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > One year we (several friends and I) were taken on an all day boat out of
> > Oxnard, CA. The boat left about 3:00 AM for a fishing trip out to the
> > Channel Islands. That day we (everyone on the boat) caught their limit.

> One
> > little oriental gentle man kept fishing a little past his limit. On the

> way
> > back he stated filleting the fish and asked to borrow the galley grill.
> >
> > He stir-fried the chunks of fish with some green onion, ginger, garlic,
> > peppers, cilantro (Chinese parsley) and soy he had brought.
> >
> > I'm not sure what it was but that was the best fish I have ever eaten.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> Dimitri,
>
> My friend and I were on a 3/4 day boat out of Seaforth Landing in San

Diego,
> Fishing the La Jolla Kelp. Back 7 or 8 years ago. We got into a school

of
> bruiser bonito, 5 pounds and up. Galley/deckie grabbed a live one and
> disappeared down into the kitchen, came back about 15 minutes later with a
> plate of fresh fish. I'm not a big fan of boito, it tends to be too
> strong/oily for me, but that plate was absolutely sinful. Some carmelized
> onions and the fish with lemon and seasoned salt, it was to die for.
>
> Jason

Dimitri

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Excellent recipe. Although I do so love shrimp, I am unfortunately

allergic
> to it.. But I still cook it for the family and friends.. (I'm on the
> outside looking in)
>
> Linda

Does that mean:

1. Eat shrimp
2. Use EPI pen
3 Go directly to hospital?

Bummer :-(

Dimitri

Camarones en Aguachile Wilson[_6_] Sushi 4 28-02-2011 03:12 PM
Camarones a la Diabla Bette E Recipes (moderated) 0 11-09-2007 01:24 AM
Camarones Delicias del Mar The Galloping Gourmand Mexican Cooking 0 02-12-2006 06:12 PM
Camarones En Escabeche 7 Hawks Recipes 0 30-06-2005 02:13 AM
Camarones y Pasta con Tequila c2c Duckie ® Recipes 0 17-06-2004 12:53 PM