Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Wild Sardine, Dried?

As a big sardine fan, small oily fish of all kinds, actually I had to buy it.

But what to do with this, I wonder?

http://grab.by/4xRM

Any ideas welcomed.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Gerry posted this:
> As a big sardine fan, small oily fish of all kinds, actually I had to
> buy it.
>
> But what to do with this, I wonder?
>
> http://grab.by/4xRM
>
> Any ideas welcomed.

I haven't a clue, Gerry, but that's some pricey fish for not knowing what to
do with it. Good luck.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2010-05-24 21:04:03 -0700, Dave Balderstone said:

> In article <201005241245338418-somewhere@sunnycalif>, Gerry
> > wrote:
>
>> As a big sardine fan, small oily fish of all kinds, actually I had to buy it.
>>
>> But what to do with this, I wonder?
>>
>> http://grab.by/4xRM
>>
>> Any ideas welcomed.

> Candles!

Okay--*most* ideas welcomed.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On May 24, 2:45*pm, Gerry > wrote:
> As a big sardine fan, small oily fish of all kinds, actually I had to buy it.
>
> But what to do with this, I wonder?
>
> * * * *http://grab.by/4xRM
>
> Any ideas welcomed.

Dried foods often have a more intense, more concentrated flavor than
their natural counterparts. rehydrate and use sparingly with some
lightly or non - seasoned rice, or even potatoes - something ¨bland¨
to absorb the flavor. Get a feel for how the flavor interacts, then
proceed with your imagination.

Doing a google search of ¨recipes for dried sardines¨ led me to quite
a few.

There is a takuzuri, which indeed seems to be a candied sardine, but
more common seems their use in stock. Not having looked at the
recipes, but just using my imagination, perhaps make the stock, cook
your rice in the stock, then proceed to make rolls of a sweeter
nature, so that the concentrated salt of the bothe would play off of
some vegetables, or salmon, or yellowtail, or what have you.

Posted to alt.food.sushi, rec.food.cooking

[ Be forewarned--cc'd to rec.food.cooking!!! ]

On 2010-05-25 04:57:29 -0700, MichaelDamianJeter said:

> Dried foods often have a more intense, more concentrated flavor than
> their natural counterparts. rehydrate and use sparingly with some
> lightly or non - seasoned rice, or even potatoes - something ¨bland¨
> to absorb the flavor. Get a feel for how the flavor interacts, then
> proceed with your imagination.

Good thinking.

> Doing a google search of ¨recipes for dried sardines¨ led me to quite
> a few.

Google? I never thought of that! ;-)

I found scads of listings but very few actual recipes with large dried
sardines like I have. Many of the receipes are for those microscopic
little fish. One with mizuna, though, looks to be a good one to try to
convert--we have mizuna in the garden right now. There are also many
listings that come up with fresh sardines, despite the specificity of
the search.

> There is a takuzuri, which indeed seems to be a candied sardine,

The recipe I saw had a sweet sauce, but a sardine has plenty of
competition for that, so it actually it looks pretty good. Another I
found when I added "maruboshi" which apparently means "whole fish" is
made with herring, but I think it would work well with sardine.

http://tinyurl.com/22npmuw

It's the only one I've seen so far that had a fulk-sized dried sardine
indicated. I saw another few references yesterday to "grilled dried
sardine":

> ...but more common seems their use in stock.

Again I think we're really talking about smaller, less expensive fish.
If you followed the link to the picture you may have noted these
fishies cost $30 a pound! I think that's a bit expensive for stock, no?
:-)

> Not having looked at the recipes, but just using my imagination,
> perhaps make the stock, cook
> your rice in the stock, then proceed to make rolls of a sweeter
> nature, so that the concentrated salt of the bothe would play off of
> some vegetables, or salmon, or yellowtail, or what have you.

One of the more interesting citations had to do with an almond and
grilled dried sardine, a otsumami thing--salty snack to be eaten with
drinks. And the phrase "grilled dried sardine" seems to be everywhere.

My current take-away is that they are grilled. That's while I'll be
having for lunch today!
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

gtr wrote:
> [ . . . ]

I posted a recipe on alt.food.asian

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2010-05-25 21:48:09 -0700, Nick Cramer said:

> gtr wrote:
>> [ . . . ]

> I posted a recipe on alt.food.asian

Dried. I'm trying to find a use for DRIED whole sardines. Dried.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Gerry posted this:
> As a big sardine fan, small oily fish of all kinds, actually I had to
> buy it.
>
> But what to do with this, I wonder?
>
> http://grab.by/4xRM
>
> Any ideas welcomed.

Don't yell at me for asking the obvious, but did you ask at the store where
you bought them? I'm imagining it wasn't Costco.

Judging from your attempts so far, maybe they're just for flavoring, like
bay leave, just there and not for eating. Otherwise, my last, and I promise
final guess would be to grind them up and add that way. Good luck.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-26 08:05:33 -0700, Wilson said:

> sometime in the recent past Gerry posted this:
>> As a big sardine fan, small oily fish of all kinds, actually I had to buy it.
>>
>> But what to do with this, I wonder?
>>
>> http://grab.by/4xRM
>>
>> Any ideas welcomed.
>>

> Don't yell at me for asking the obvious, but did you ask at the store
> where you bought them? I'm imagining it wasn't Costco.

That is obvious, but I haven't had a chance to get down that way since
Saturday. Thankfully I feed good that the fish will keep until I do. I
might get some sushi this weekend and the chef is quite knowledgeable.
Hell I might take one in my jacket pocket to show. Should get a laugh.

> Judging from your attempts so far, maybe they're just for flavoring,
> like bay leave, just there and not for eating. Otherwise, my last, and
> I promise final guess would be to grind them up and add that way. Good
> luck.

Did you note I've soaked them for like 12 hours and they were still
wooden? Amazing stuff.

Tonight we had two expeptional porkchops. $3.58. My 12 sardines cost
six bucks! There's got to be a way to reach nirvana through these
fish!!
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

gtr > wrote:
> On 2010-05-26 08:05:33 -0700, Wilson said:
>
> > sometime in the recent past Gerry posted this:
> >> As a big sardine fan, small oily fish of all kinds, actually I had to
> >> buy it.
> >>
> >> But what to do with this, I wonder?
> >>
> >> http://grab.by/4xRM

[]

You might try shaving it with a mandoline to make dashi, like the Japanese
do with bonito (katsuobushi).

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.sushi
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-26 23:06:29 -0700, Nick Cramer said:

> gtr > wrote:
>> On 2010-05-26 08:05:33 -0700, Wilson said:
>>
>>> sometime in the recent past Gerry posted this:

> []
>
> You might try shaving it with a mandoline to make dashi, like the Japanese
> do with bonito (katsuobushi).

That's so nutty--it just might work! Of course a big ol' block of
dried bonito looks like a brick. These iwashi won't go happily to
mandoline land--but go they will!

Well one will, anyway.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

gtr > wrote:
> On 2010-05-26 23:06:29 -0700, Nick Cramer said:
> > gtr > wrote:

> > []
> >
> > You might try shaving it with a mandoline to make dashi, like the
> > Japanese do with bonito (katsuobushi).

> That's so nutty--it just might work! Of course a big ol' block of
> dried bonito looks like a brick. These iwashi won't go happily to
> mandoline land--but go they will!
>
> Well one will, anyway.

Iwashi dashi sounds good. Googling found this:

Iriko dashi (Niboshi dashi)

Niboshi are small, dried iwashi (sardines). Niboshi dashi is one of the
three main dashi and has a strong flavor, making it ideal for hearty
preparations such as some miso soups.

1 liter water
30 grams dried niboshi fish

1) Remove heads and stomachs, and split larger fish in half.

2) Slowly dry roast niboshi in a pan on the stove top, taking care not to
burn.

3) Place niboshi and water in a cooking pot and let stand for 30 minutes.

4) Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer.

5) Simmer for 3-5 minutes, skimming foam off the surface.

6) Strain and refrigerate unused portion for up to 3 days.

Please post your results and comments.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry[_3_] View Post
As a big sardine fan, small oily fish of all kinds, actually I had to buy it.

But what to do with this, I wonder?

Upload results:

Any ideas welcomed.
Thanks for sharing this information!