Ann I. Sakis

Default Chilean tainted salmon could be resold

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/09/27/
environment.salmon.reut/index.html

Chilean tainted salmon could be resold

SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) -- A cargo of farmed Chilean salmon
tainted with a potentially harmful toxin and rejected for import in
Europe has returned to Chile and could be re-exported to a country
with less stringent laws, consumer and environmental groups warned.

This is the latest in a series of tainted shipments that has Chile's
$1.15 billion-a-year salmon industry on the defensive. Fish and
fish products are one of Chile's top exports.

Health authorities in Holland rejected a container bound for France
which was packed with 20 tons of frozen salmon in August after
detecting the fungicide malachite green, which is used to control
molds that kill the eggs of farmed fish.

[... see web site for rest of story ...]

--
Sent by xanadoog from yahoo within field com
Musashi

"Ann I. Sakis" > wrote in message =
du...
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/09/27/
> environment.salmon.reut/index.html
>=20
> Chilean tainted salmon could be resold
>=20
> SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) -- A cargo of farmed Chilean salmon=20
> tainted with a potentially harmful toxin and rejected for import in=20
> Europe has returned to Chile and could be re-exported to a country=20
> with less stringent laws, consumer and environmental groups warned.
>=20

Actually Japan imports alot of farmed atlantic salmon from Chile for
use as sushi neta. But as the Japanese authorities tend to be extremely
severe on the quality and condition of imports, its never going to make =
it
into the Japanese market.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Ann I. Sakis" > wrote in message du...
>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/09/27/
>>environment.salmon.reut/index.html
>>
>>Chilean tainted salmon could be resold
>>
>>SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) -- A cargo of farmed Chilean salmon
>>tainted with a potentially harmful toxin and rejected for import in
>>Europe has returned to Chile and could be re-exported to a country
>>with less stringent laws, consumer and environmental groups warned.
>>

> Actually Japan imports alot of farmed atlantic salmon from Chile for
> use as sushi neta. But as the Japanese authorities tend to be extremely
> severe on the quality and condition of imports, its never going to make it
> into the Japanese market.

How do US authorities fare in cases like this? I would hope their would
also reject it. Any idea what the chemical(s) is? PCB's?

--
Dan

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Musashi wrote:
>=20
> > "Ann I. Sakis" > wrote in =

message du...
> >=20
> >>http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/09/27/
> >>environment.salmon.reut/index.html
> >>
> >>Chilean tainted salmon could be resold
> >>
> >>SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) -- A cargo of farmed Chilean salmon=20
> >>tainted with a potentially harmful toxin and rejected for import in=20
> >>Europe has returned to Chile and could be re-exported to a country=20
> >>with less stringent laws, consumer and environmental groups warned.
> >>

> >=20
> > Actually Japan imports alot of farmed atlantic salmon from Chile for
> > use as sushi neta. But as the Japanese authorities tend to be =

extremely
> > severe on the quality and condition of imports, its never going to =

make it
> > into the Japanese market.

>=20
> How do US authorities fare in cases like this? I would hope their =

would
> also reject it. Any idea what the chemical(s) is? PCB's?
>=20
> --=20
> Dan
>=20

Malachite Green seems to be a fungicide, and has apparently been linked =
to farmed
salmon before.
http://www.eclipsescientific.co.uk/f.../malachite.htm

F t B

"Musashi" > wrote in message
m...

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
>
> > "Ann I. Sakis" > wrote in message
> > du...
> >
> >>http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/09/27/
> >>environment.salmon.reut/index.html
> >>
> >>Chilean tainted salmon could be resold
> >>
> >>SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) -- A cargo of farmed Chilean salmon
> >>tainted with a potentially harmful toxin and rejected for import in
> >>Europe has returned to Chile and could be re-exported to a country
> >>with less stringent laws, consumer and environmental groups warned.
> >>

> > Actually Japan imports alot of farmed atlantic salmon from Chile for
> > use as sushi neta. But as the Japanese authorities tend to be extremely
> > severe on the quality and condition of imports, its never going to make
> > it
> > into the Japanese market.

> How do US authorities fare in cases like this? I would hope their would
> also reject it. Any idea what the chemical(s) is? PCB's?
>
> --
> Dan

Malachite Green seems to be a fungicide, and has apparently been linked to
farmed
salmon before.
http://www.eclipsescientific.co.uk/f.../malachite.htm

Heh, this is where I say - Real fish don't do drugs... or Real fish don't
eat pellets.
I'm curios what country will allow their citizens to eat these tainted fish.

Dan Logcher

F t B wrote:
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> m...
>
> Malachite Green seems to be a fungicide, and has apparently been linked to
> farmed salmon before.
> http://www.eclipsescientific.co.uk/f.../malachite.htm
>
> Heh, this is where I say - Real fish don't do drugs... or Real fish don't
> eat pellets.
> I'm curios what country will allow their citizens to eat these tainted fish.

Chile?

--
Dan

More Tainted Milk Found In China Mark Thorson General Cooking 1 09-02-2010 11:50 AM
WHOLE FOODS MARKET: Selling Tainted Beef From A Known "Tainted" BeefCompany? dillydally General Cooking 3 12-08-2008 06:11 PM
Tainted fish? Musashi Sushi 0 07-06-2007 01:49 PM
Tainted Shrimp? Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 2 30-07-2004 11:30 PM
Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine Sam D. Wine 20 13-11-2003 03:29 AM