Old 06-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Sam D.

Default Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

An article in the Los Angeles Times reports that Gallo has confirmed that
traces of TCA have been found in wines bottled at its processing facility in
Sonoma. 90 different Gallo wines totaling nearly 2 million cases a year are
bottled there under such labels as Rancho Zabaco, Frei Brothers, Gallo of
Sonoma and Louis Martini. The chemical is not a health risk but can produce
an unpleasant off-taste in the wine.

TCA is the abbreviation for trichloroanisole, a chemical byproduct of the
interaction between mold and chlorine, which is used as a cleaning solution
and to bleach corks and oak barrels. Contaminated corks are often a source
of TCA in bottled wine. One of the mysteries of the Gallo contamination is
that the winery stopped using chlorine as a cleaning agent years ago

The Times article also mentions that Gallo which produces about a third of
California's wine, is the world's second largest wine producer.

I had thought that Gallo was the largest wine company . I was surprised to
find out elsewhere that the world's largest wine company is Constellation
Brands, a name totally unfamiliar to me although I did recognize its wine
brands.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:38 PM
Michael Pronay

"Sam D." wrote:

I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the world's largest
wine company is Constellation Brands, a name totally unfamiliar
to me although I did recognize its wine brands.

Where is "Constellation Brands" based, and what are its wine
brands?

M.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Clyde Gill

On 6 Nov 2003 16:38:18 GMT, Michael Pronay wrote:

"Sam D." wrote:

I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the world's largest
wine company is Constellation Brands, a name totally unfamiliar
to me although I did recognize its wine brands.

Where is "Constellation Brands" based,

NY.

and what are its wine
brands?

As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of that
to Gallo.

Some names that come under the Constellation umbrella a

Taylor, Almaden, Arbor Mist, Blackstone, Hardys, Ravenswood and
Stowells of Chelsea. They also do many other wines, spirits and beer.

Gallo is the largest producer in the US with well over half the
market.

If this type of thing interest you, a good book that describes these
companies and the behind the scenes workings is "The Wrath of Grapes"
by Lewis Purdue. It's a bit dated now, but still interesting.

On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside in the
cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

clyde

Old 06-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Michael Pronay

Clyde Gill wrote:

I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the world's largest
wine company is Constellation Brands, a name totally
unfamiliar to me although I did recognize its wine brands.

Where is "Constellation Brands" based,

NY.

Thank you.

and what are its wine brands?

As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of
that to Gallo.

I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation and
ignoring their whereabouts.

Some names that come under the Constellation umbrella a

Taylor, Almaden, Arbor Mist, Blackstone, Hardys, Ravenswood and
Stowells of Chelsea. They also do many other wines, spirits and
beer.

Gallo is the largest producer in the US with well over half the
market.

Pardon me, but how can Gallo be US's largest producer when
Constellation is even bigger? There seems to be a logic that
escapes me.

On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside
in the cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

Yes, but then it will not infect bottles as randomly, as does TCA
in corks.

M.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Dale Williams

In article , Michael Pronay
writes:

Pardon me, but how can Gallo be US's largest producer when
Constellation is even bigger? There seems to be a logic that
escapes me.

Constellation is world's largest , because they own BRL Hardy's now (big Oz
producer). So while they are largest US-based producer, Gallo is actually
largest producer of US wines.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Old 06-11-2003, 06:06 PM
Clyde Gill

As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of
that to Gallo.

I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation and
ignoring their whereabouts.

Without any prior knowledge of your knowledge, I'd imagine that you
would be able to imagine that the worlds largest producer of wine
dealt with bulk wines and also dealt with the largest producer in the
US. But I've been told more than once that I have a wild imagination.

On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside
in the cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

Yes, but then it will not infect bottles as randomly, as does TCA
in corks.

Bottle variation could occur if the TCA was introduced in the bottling
process, which is one of the more likely sources of contamination,
given the intricacy and general nature of the operation plus the
timing of the exposure.

If TCA is introduced to the wine while in bulk (very possible), it
usually is detected before the bottling process, though it can have a
nasty tendency to progress with time, especially while *in* the
bottle.

clyde

Old 07-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Xyzsch

Michael

This is the old Canandaigua Wine, headquartered in Fairport, NY. I know this
because I grew up in Fairport. They have gotten big by acquiring a large number
of wine brands over the years. I believe that started out by making NYS
sparkling wines.

Tom Schellberg

Old 07-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Michael Pronay

Clyde Gill wrote:

As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much
of that to Gallo.

I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation
and ignoring their whereabouts.

Without any prior knowledge of your knowledge, I'd imagine that
you would be able to imagine that the worlds largest producer of
wine dealt with bulk wines and also dealt with the largest
producer in the US. But I've been told more than once that I
have a wild imagination.

Absolutely. Without any prior knowledge I'd imagine the world's
largest producer in the world's largest wine producing countries,
France or Italy.

M.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Sad Dad

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:06:49 -0600, Clyde Gill wrote:

[...]

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Da...5,2240,00.html

Article states that the likely source was a Chlorine based cleaning
agent used at Gallo's Dry Creek Valley cellar.

It also mentions that the TCA was in the range of 2-6 parts per
trillion for the affected bottles - which Gallo claim is undetectable
by most palates?