Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Do you like tilapia?

I find the meat a bit corse and haven't tried any cooked or raw that I
really like.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James > wrote:
> I find the meat a bit corse and haven't tried any cooked or raw that I
> really like.

Hi James,

Maybe check in alt.food.asian.

We eat a lot of tilapia. Mostly sauteed or wokked, Thai style. I like it. I
haven't tried it raw. Perhaps you'll find a cooking method you like at my
wife's cookbook http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/JunThai.htm

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote:
> I find the meat a bit corse and haven't tried any cooked or raw that I
> really like.

I've used a quite a bit, since it relatively cheap. They have live tilapia
at the Super 88 Market in Boston. I have gotten a whole live one and steamed
it with ginger and scallions. I have also used tilapia filets in fish congee,
fish chowdah, fish tacos, and other dishes. Its not bad at all.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James;2156461 Wrote:
> I find the meat a bit corse and haven't tried any cooked or raw that I
> really like.

My wife lightly pan fries it in butter with a bit of pepper and spices.
Its fine but its not high on my favorite fish list. Being a fresh water
fish, its really not suitable in my book for sashimi. I guess that,
cooked, it could be used in a sushi roll.

Cheers! -- Rik

--
Rik Brown
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Rik wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:52:40 -0600:

> James;2156461 Wrote:
>> I find the meat a bit corse and haven't tried any cooked or
>> raw that I really like.

> My wife lightly pan fries it in butter with a bit of pepper
> and spices. Its fine but its not high on my favorite fish
> list. Being a fresh water fish, its really not suitable in my
> book for sashimi. I guess that, cooked, it could be used in a
> sushi roll.

I don't like the texture much of tilapia cooked or uncooked so I
wouldn't recommend it.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Rik Brown wrote:
> James;2156461 Wrote:
>
>>I find the meat a bit corse and haven't tried any cooked or raw that I
>>really like.

> My wife lightly pan fries it in butter with a bit of pepper and spices.
> Its fine but its not high on my favorite fish list. Being a fresh water
> fish, its really not suitable in my book for sashimi. I guess that,
> cooked, it could be used in a sushi roll.

Actually I believe they use tilapia for sushi, substituted for Red Snapper.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jan 7, 3:16*pm, Dan Logcher > wrote:
> Rik Brown wrote:
> > James;2156461 Wrote:

> >>I find the meat a bit corse and haven't tried any cooked or raw that I
> >>really like.

> > My wife lightly pan fries it in butter with a bit of pepper and spices.
> > Its fine but its not high on my favorite fish list. Being a fresh water
> > fish, its really not suitable in my book for sashimi. I guess that,
> > cooked, it could be used in a sushi roll.

> Actually I believe they use tilapia for sushi, substituted for Red Snapper.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:16:14 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Actually I believe they use tilapia for sushi, substituted for Red Snapper.

Are you talking about Tai? Tai, in Japan, is Sea Bream. In the USA,
Red Snapper is almost invariably used as a substitute for Sea Bream,
and called "Tai."

So if the sushi is called Tai, and Tilapia is a substitution for Red
Snapper in it, it's a substitution for a substitution. ;-)

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:16:14 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Actually I believe they use tilapia for sushi, substituted for Red Snapper.

> Are you talking about Tai? Tai, in Japan, is Sea Bream. In the USA,
> Red Snapper is almost invariably used as a substitute for Sea Bream,
> and called "Tai."
>
> So if the sushi is called Tai, and Tilapia is a substitution for Red
> Snapper in it, it's a substitution for a substitution. ;-)

Yeah, they do that at some places around Boston. I don't usually go
for Tai unless I know its the real thing..

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

I'm not impressed with tilapia either. The last time I had it
(cooked) was fresh from swimming in the live fish bowl at a Chinese
restaurant, and it still was boring

Posted to alt.food.sushi

magnet wrote:
> The Californian steakhouse Lawrys in Hong Kong was serving it. I had
> never heard of tilapia until that evening when I asked them what kind of
> fish it was.

Its a freshwater cleaner fish, white meat fish. Real easy to farm.
I sometimes prepare whole tilapia, steamed with ginger and scallion
over the top.. with a light soy, sugar, and sesame sauce poured over it.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:21:54 -0500:

> magnet wrote:
>> The Californian steakhouse Lawrys in Hong Kong was serving
>> it. I had never heard of tilapia until that evening when I
>> asked them what kind of fish it was.

> Its a freshwater cleaner fish, white meat fish. Real easy to farm. I
> sometimes prepare whole tilapia, steamed with ginger
> and scallion over the top.. with a light soy, sugar, and
> sesame sauce poured over it.

I don't like the texture of much freshwater fish; trout is an exception.
I ate a tilapia in a Chinese restaurant which I think was the one I
picked out swimming in a tank but it was not very interesting. Perhaps,
it was cooked too long. I have had oven-fried frozen tilapia that was
quite appetizing.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:
> Dan wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:21:54 -0500:
>
>> magnet wrote:
>>
>>> The Californian steakhouse Lawrys in Hong Kong was serving
>>> it. I had never heard of tilapia until that evening when I
>>> asked them what kind of fish it was.

>> Its a freshwater cleaner fish, white meat fish. Real easy to farm. I
>> sometimes prepare whole tilapia, steamed with ginger
>> and scallion over the top.. with a light soy, sugar, and
>> sesame sauce poured over it.

> I don't like the texture of much freshwater fish; trout is an exception.
> I ate a tilapia in a Chinese restaurant which I think was the one I
> picked out swimming in a tank but it was not very interesting. Perhaps,
> it was cooked too long. I have had oven-fried frozen tilapia that was
> quite appetizing.

If steamed till flakey its pretty good. If its overcooked it will be tough.
Supermarkets sell breaded tilapia filets which are pretty good. Bake for 10-15
minutes and they are done. I put some cheese on top and serve on spaghetti
with a tomato sauce.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

magnet > wrote:
> The Californian steakhouse Lawrys in Hong Kong was serving it. I had
> never heard of tilapia until that evening when I asked them what kind
> of fish it was.
>
> On 2009-01-08 14:25:11 +0800, Dan Logcher >
> said:
>
> > Zaghadka wrote:

> >> Yup. That's tilapia. It's a very inoffensive, textureless fish.
> >>
> >> I enjoy it dredged in flour and bacon grease sometimes, and it's not
> >> too bad to fill out a fish chowder, or stuffed.
> >>
> >> BTW, yes I'm de-lurking. (I'll prolly go right back, though. I don't
> >> know near enough about sushi to say much that's meaningful.) :^)

> > Welcome.
> >
> > Yeah, I use it for fish chowdah and fish tacos, cuz it don't really
> > matter when you cook it either way.

We eat a lot of tilapia and I like it. Here, Jun has breaded a filet, pan
fried it and served it on Chinese broccoli, topped with fried garlic. No
inedible bones and the skin is nice, too.

http://www.tinypic.info/files/hfeadkpga2h6n7f5mel9.jpg

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> magnet wrote:
> > The Californian steakhouse Lawrys in Hong Kong was serving it. I had
> > never heard of tilapia until that evening when I asked them what kind
> > of fish it was.

> Its a freshwater cleaner fish, white meat fish. Real easy to farm.
> I sometimes prepare whole tilapia, steamed with ginger and scallion
> over the top.. with a light soy, sugar, and sesame sauce poured over it.

That sounds good, Dan. When Jun does whole tilapia, she wok fries it until
it's crisp enough that I can eat all the bones, head and tail. Homemade
Thai dipping sauce is quite spicy!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 25 Feb 2009 02:29:21 GMT, in alt.food.sushi, Nick Cramer wrote:

>>>Yeah, I use it for fish chowdah and fish tacos, cuz it don't really
>>>matter when you cook it either way.

>We eat a lot of tilapia and I like it. Here, Jun has breaded a filet, pan
>fried it and served it on Chinese broccoli, topped with fried garlic. No
>inedible bones and the skin is nice, too.
>
>http://www.tinypic.info/files/hfeadkpga2h6n7f5mel9.jpg

That looks really good! I wish my wife cooked more.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher > wrote:

> >We eat a lot of tilapia and I like it. Here, Jun has breaded a filet,
> >pan fried it and served it on Chinese broccoli, topped with fried
> >garlic. No inedible bones and the skin is nice, too.
> >
> >http://www.tinypic.info/files/hfeadkpga2h6n7f5mel9.jpg

> That looks really good! I wish my wife cooked more.

Thanks, Dan. It sure was. As to your wish; as ya give, ya get. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Dan Logcher > wrote:

>>>We eat a lot of tilapia and I like it. Here, Jun has breaded a filet,
>>>pan fried it and served it on Chinese broccoli, topped with fried
>>>garlic. No inedible bones and the skin is nice, too.
>>>
>>>http://www.tinypic.info/files/hfeadkpga2h6n7f5mel9.jpg

>>That looks really good! I wish my wife cooked more.

> Thanks, Dan. It sure was. As to your wish; as ya give, ya get. ;-)

Well, I do all the cooking now.. so what do I have to give to get?

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Dan Logcher > wrote:
> >>On 25 Feb 2009 02:29:21 GMT, in alt.food.sushi, Nick Cramer wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >>That looks really good! I wish my wife cooked more.

> > Thanks, Dan. It sure was. As to your wish; as ya give, ya get. ;-)

> Well, I do all the cooking now.. so what do I have to give to get?

Hmmm!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Logcher[_1_] View Post

magnet wrote:

[...]

Yes! I do like tilapia when cooked!
http://prochef360blog.com/

Tilapia; what's it like? Portland General Cooking 81 10-03-2011 09:28 PM
More Tilapia Musashi Sushi 0 23-05-2007 05:20 PM
Something different with tilapia? kilikini General Cooking 29 30-10-2006 01:04 AM
Tilapia Carole Beard General Cooking 0 04-04-2005 11:26 PM