Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Fully Farmed Tuna in our future?

Australian firm, Japan university sign tuna-breeding pact
Wednesday 24th September, 07:07 AM JST

SYDNEY —

An Australian aquaculture company and a Japanese university have signed an
agreement to exchange tuna breeding technology with the goal of creating
sustainability within the industry, the company announced Tuesday. Clean
Seas Tuna Ltd Chairman Hagen Stehr and Kinki University director Osamu
Murata signed the agreement at Kinki University in Wakayama Prefecture on
Monday.

The agreement is part of the Japanese government’s Global Center of
Excellence program that is aimed at the ‘‘internationalization of
technologies and techniques abroad,’’ the company said in a statement. The
collaboration will see the two organizations establish a visiting scientist
program and also facilitating the exchange of ‘‘tuna propagation and
husbandry technologies.’’ Kinki University scientists created the world’s
first completion of the northern bluefin tuna lifecycle in 2002, and last
year began to sell commercially their bred tuna.

© 2008 Kyodo News. All rights reserved. No reproduction or republication
without written permission.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:05:21 -0400, "Musashi"
> wrote:

>Australian firm, Japan university sign tuna-breeding pact
>Wednesday 24th September, 07:07 AM JST
>
>SYDNEY —
>
>An Australian aquaculture company and a Japanese university have signed an
>agreement to exchange tuna breeding technology with the goal of creating
>sustainability within the industry, the company announced Tuesday. Clean
>Seas Tuna Ltd Chairman Hagen Stehr and Kinki University director Osamu
>Murata signed the agreement at Kinki University in Wakayama Prefecture on
>Monday.
>
>The agreement is part of the Japanese government’s Global Center of
>Excellence program that is aimed at the ‘‘internationalization of
>technologies and techniques abroad,’’ the company said in a statement. The
>collaboration will see the two organizations establish a visiting scientist
>program and also facilitating the exchange of ‘‘tuna propagation and
>husbandry technologies.’’ Kinki University scientists created the world’s
>first completion of the northern bluefin tuna lifecycle in 2002, and last
>year began to sell commercially their bred tuna.
>

>© 2008 Kyodo News. All rights reserved. No reproduction or republication
>without written permission.

interesting. curious as to the quality though - an itamae once told me
that he used to look at the fins as one of the many things he used to
evaluate fish; non optimal fin shapes usually suggested fish farmed in
close quarters without room to swin freely, with the implication that
lack of exercise adversely affected muscle tone.

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"barry" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:05:21 -0400, "Musashi"
> > wrote:
>
>>Australian firm, Japan university sign tuna-breeding pact
>>Wednesday 24th September, 07:07 AM JST
>>
>>SYDNEY -
>>
>>An Australian aquaculture company and a Japanese university have signed an
>>agreement to exchange tuna breeding technology with the goal of creating
>>sustainability within the industry, the company announced Tuesday. Clean
>>Seas Tuna Ltd Chairman Hagen Stehr and Kinki University director Osamu
>>Murata signed the agreement at Kinki University in Wakayama Prefecture on
>>Monday.
>>
>>The agreement is part of the Japanese government's Global Center of
>>Excellence program that is aimed at the ''internationalization of
>>technologies and techniques abroad,'' the company said in a statement. The
>>collaboration will see the two organizations establish a visiting
>>scientist
>>program and also facilitating the exchange of ''tuna propagation and
>>husbandry technologies.'' Kinki University scientists created the world's
>>first completion of the northern bluefin tuna lifecycle in 2002, and last
>>year began to sell commercially their bred tuna.
>>

>>© 2008 Kyodo News. All rights reserved. No reproduction or republication
>>without written permission.
>>

> interesting. curious as to the quality though - an itamae once told me
> that he used to look at the fins as one of the many things he used to
> evaluate fish; non optimal fin shapes usually suggested fish farmed in
> close quarters without room to swin freely, with the implication that
> lack of exercise adversely affected muscle tone.

My brother in law who is also an itamae told me that he can tell farmed fish
from wild by the degree of muscle development near the tail. Which
corresponds
to what you suggest about the lack of excercise.
The fully farmed Blue Fin born and raised at Kinki University has actually
been
sold as a limited quantity brand item for a couple of years now and so far
I've heard
nothing about it's taste or quality being a problem. The size they were
selling was not
in the giant size but more like 60-80 lb fish from what I saw on TV news
coverage.
BTW the profits raised from selling the farmed Bluefin go to supporting the
ongoing
tuna breeding research at the university.

Member

Fish farming, that sounds kinki...

couldn't resist... sorry
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sep 25, 7:43*am, "Musashi" > wrote:
> "barry" > wrote in message

> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:05:21 -0400, "Musashi"
> > > wrote:

> >>Australian firm, Japan university sign tuna-breeding pact
> >>Wednesday 24th September, 07:07 AM JST

> >>SYDNEY -

> >>An Australian aquaculture company and a Japanese university have signed an
> >>agreement to exchange tuna breeding technology with the goal of creating
> >>sustainability within the industry, the company announced Tuesday. Clean
> >>Seas Tuna Ltd Chairman Hagen Stehr and Kinki University director Osamu
> >>Murata signed the agreement at Kinki University in Wakayama Prefecture on
> >>Monday.

> >>The agreement is part of the Japanese government's Global Center of
> >>Excellence program that is aimed at the ''internationalization of
> >>technologies and techniques abroad,'' the company said in a statement. The
> >>collaboration will see the two organizations establish a visiting
> >>scientist
> >>program and also facilitating the exchange of ''tuna propagation and
> >>husbandry technologies.'' Kinki University scientists created the world's
> >>first completion of the northern bluefin tuna lifecycle in 2002, and last
> >>year began to sell commercially their bred tuna.

> >>© 2008 Kyodo News. All rights reserved. No reproduction or republication
> >>without written permission.

> > interesting. curious as to the quality though - an itamae once told me
> > that he used to look at the fins as one of the many things he used to
> > evaluate fish; non optimal fin shapes usually suggested fish farmed in
> > close quarters without room to swin freely, with the implication that
> > lack of exercise adversely affected muscle tone.

> My brother in law who is also an itamae told me that he can tell farmed fish
> from wild by the degree of muscle development near the tail. Which
> corresponds
> to what you suggest about the lack of excercise.
> The fully farmed Blue Fin born and raised at Kinki University has actually
> been
> sold as a limited quantity brand item for a couple of years now and so far
> I've heard
> nothing about it's taste or quality being a problem. The size they were
> selling was not
> in the giant size but more like 60-80 lb fish from what I saw on TV news
> coverage.
> BTW the profits raised from selling the farmed Bluefin go to supporting the
> ongoing
> tuna breeding research at the university.
>
> M- Hide quoted text -

I've had Kindai Maguro twice (the sustainably farmed bluefin you speak
of) and can't say it blew my mind, but if there is no more wild
bluefin to be had for our children and grandchildren, at least this is
an alternative, not a brilliant one. I could survive without it since
I'm more of a shiromi and hikarimono guy :-)